I.D. the Carcass

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrethegiant70

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello, Brothers! Or brother and sisters," maybe, there's got to be a woman among the ranks somewhere.... this is an equal opportunity post.

Got a saw I need help with. Bore is 56mm... I'm thinking 056 mag. I'm going to Fleabay it, but I need to make a positive ID. Nice shiny piston, rewind is malfunctioning so I didn't get to pull on it yet.

Thanks in advance!!

ID 5.JPG

Attachments

• ID 2.JPG
    ID 2.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 78
  • ID 3.JPG
    ID 3.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 87
  • ID 1.JPG
    ID 1.JPG
    833.2 KB · Views: 78
  • ID 4.JPG
    ID 4.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 76
I'll check it again, the exhaust port is angled sharply and it was hard to get the little stick in there straight. I'll have to use some bent solder or something. I wouldn't have expected a 4mm difference, but... I have learned that not much gets by the esteemed Jacob J. Darn, not a big 042/048 fan. Part of the reason I assumed 056 is because I have some other 056 parts that could have belonged to it. But you're right Jacob, the 056 cylinder is leaned back more.

The 048 still has a couple dedicated owners around here, never seem a modified one, at least that I remember. It would be interesting to know if it responded the same way that the traditional hogged out 1119s seem to.

It was a neat series of saws. Stihl sold a bunch of them to various government agencies and commercial users, not sure about retail. Most I see have a tag or id marked scribed in some where.

I'm a believer, and now that I think about it, I do also have other 042/048 parts in there. A couple metal tanks among other things.

About ten years ago, I bought the better part of a shipping container of carcasses from a small engine shop. Things I didn't know much about got consigned to boxes in the rafters. I'm looking at a move now, so it's time to figure some of this out.

Thanks, gents!

Back