I feel violated

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a shame that is what the world has come to. A lock is just to keep a honest man honest anymore. Where I grew up we never locked our doors at all, but now that I have moved back there you have to. My whole family lives within a few hundred yards of one another, and we all look after each other,but you never know. The sad thing about it that the bad guys have all the rights,you get some guy that comes on your place and steals something then trips in a hole getting away he can sue you. Thats plain wrooooong.

It's a shame that is what the world has come to. A lock is just to keep a honest man honest anymore. Where I grew up we never locked our doors at all, but now that I have moved back there you have to. My whole family lives within a few hundred yards of one another, and we all look after each other,but you never know. The sad thing about it that the bad guys have all the rights,you get some guy that comes on your place and steals something then trips in a hole getting away he can sue you. Thats plain wrooooong.

thieves have been around since mankind walked this earth.

two of them were hanging next to christ on crosses....remember?

what makes it worse these days is there's so many more of them because of drugs and because many can't be bothered with working to achieve something.

what makes it worse these days is there's so many more of them because of drugs and because many can't be bothered with working to achieve something.

Lets not forget the judges that are soft on crime, and the lib's that love to pass laws but not enforce them.

I certainly do remember, and I also know that there is no one sin greater than any other but it still hard to swallow that we work hard for what we have and strive to do better and someone else can just come take it. I not trying to get on a soapbox,sorry if it sounded that way.

I certainly do remember, and I also know that there is no one sin greater than any other but it still hard to swallow that we work hard for what we have and strive to do better and someone else can just come take it. I not trying to get on a soapbox,sorry if it sounded that way.

it's those damn crack heads. seriously...they steal anything if it isn't nailed down.

i was in a used home fixture store once, (they sell alot of old home stuff that was removed before they were torn down) and them crack heads would show up at the back door with doors, windows, old stairs, cabinets...you name it...and the owners were a little embarrassed i saw that...lol

but, these days, crack heads will rip you off without thinking twice about it.

Here in Ohio you can carry concealed on your own property w/o a permit.
As for shooting the jeep & claiming they tried to run you over, That falls in the same category as ( if you shoot someone outside pull them in & put a knife in their hand). If you do this the investigaters will find the truth & your whole story is discredited. Then you will be the criminal.

The OP said it was on the nieghbors property, so he can't carry concealed there without a CCL, however, open carry is legal everywhere in Ohio, not specifically barred, ie; bars, post office, etc. :cheers:.

Wow I didnt expect this to spark up like this but its all good I enjoy all different points of view. There are 2 topics I dont talk about and thats politics and religion but if you all want to be my guest. No updates as of yet my neighbor and his wife are coming over for dinner tomorrow night so I hope to find out some info then. Here are some pics of the damage and a few of what he uses the land for. I know you all love pics. The pics make it look in worse shape then it was. I last looked at it about 2 years ago and I was bugging him to let me pull it out to build a rat rod but he persisted that he was going to do something with it. The last time i saw it the truck was all in one piece but did have its fair share of rot. I also put up a bunch of No Trespassing signs today granted they are like locks they only keep the honest people honest.

PICT0017.jpg

PICT0020.jpg

PICT0022.jpg

PICT0023.jpg

PICT0025.jpg

PICT0026.jpg

pict0024.jpg

Here are a few pics of what he uses the land for here is about 50 cord of split wood here.
PICT0028.jpg

That situation really sucks, but at least they didn't get away with much.

The real bull#### part of the whole story is......the cops aren't gonna do a damn thing. I'd be shocked if the lazy J Os even call the owner of the Jeep on the phone. If you honestly believe they will lift a finger to catch those punks..... I'd say you haven't had any real dealings with cops in the past fifteen or twenty years.

It stinks that you now have to chain down everything you own...... but better now than AFTER they steal a couple grand worth of your stuff.

I know the folks at Franklin PD. They are not JOs as you say. They do a good job and Franklin is a very nice town. How you can make such a statement from nearly 100 miles away is beyond me. Painting LEOs with such a broad brush is patently unfair. Sounds like you've had a bad experience with the police, if so that is too bad. But that pessimistic comment is unfounded in most places.:dizzy:

My neighbors have the phone number of my forwarding service. If they see something funny on my land, they dial that number and my office phone and both cell phones start ringing. That's a call I don't want to miss. If the farmer behind your place has a cell, he should have given the number to you.

So far so good in the 10 years built on this Downeast woodland. We're a mile off a rural road with no fuul-time neighbors that far away. The vehicles and house are usually unlocked when away for a the day; locked up when gone for longer. Maybe I'd rather the slugs opened the door than break windows or doors. Some neighbors will look in when we're off....water plants, check things out.

Now Msr. Madhatter seems to have had a tough time here. It's not so bad. We have no real 'law' where we are: only the distant state and county cops doing a good job when called; and that can take an hour.

And it's not "Portland" or "rinos" ( WTF is with that ? ). It may be that we have the highest % of LTC holders in the country. :) Not in MN ?

The only consistent crime here in rural Downeast ---so far :givebeer:-- is vacation home break-ins ( neighbor's place had a VC wood stove stolen ) and the usual testosterone mailbox smashing and sign vandalism. The one crime that is taken seriously is Timber Trespass ( that's "stealing wood" for you more sophisticated urbanites :buttkick: )

Maybe the freedom to carry has unintended comsequences.

I had an episode a few months ago. I live out in the country with no neighbors close by. I awoke in the wee hours of the morning to the sound of hushed voices right outside the bedroom window. I looked out and saw a vehicle down in the driveway that leads back to my barn. After properly arming myself, I snuck out the back door and worked my way around the house to where I had heard the voices. All hell broke loose as they either heard or saw me, although I didn't have my mag light turned on. Several people took off running through the yard, running toward the parked vehicle. I could hear low hanging branches snapping as they ran blindly through the dark. I unleashed a barrage that would have made Audy Murphy proud. I wasn't trying to hit them but just shooting into the ground. They dived into the car (which was backed in for a quick getaway). They took off like a bat out of hell, not even waiting for one unlucky ba$turd to get in the car, he was running down the road after the car. After they got over the knoll, out of my line of sight, I heard them stop to pick up their friend. By then I had inserted by second high capacity magazine and capped of a few more for good measure.

I found a multi pack of toilet paper near where the car was parked. Apparently it was just a failed attempt to toilet paper my house. I imagine they could have used some of that toilet paper to clean out their pants after it was over.

The good news is that, according to my teenage daughter, I now have quite a reputation around the school as one crazy S.O.B. As a homeowner and father of a teenage daughter, thats the kind of rep I don't mind having. Who knows, it may even be warranted.

good for you!

I had an episode a few months ago. I live out in the country with no neighbors close by. I awoke in the wee hours of the morning to the sound of hushed voices right outside the bedroom window. I looked out and saw a vehicle down in the driveway that leads back to my barn. After properly arming myself, I snuck out the back door and worked my way around the house to where I had heard the voices. All hell broke loose as they either heard or saw me, although I didn't have my mag light turned on. Several people took off running through the yard, running toward the parked vehicle. I could hear low hanging branches snapping as they ran blindly through the dark. I unleashed a barrage that would have made Audy Murphy proud. I wasn't trying to hit them but just shooting into the ground. They dived into the car (which was backed in for a quick getaway). They took off like a bat out of hell, not even waiting for one unlucky ba$turd to get in the car, he was running down the road after the car. After they got over the knoll, out of my line of sight, I heard them stop to pick up their friend. By then I had inserted by second high capacity magazine and capped of a few more for good measure.

I found a multi pack of toilet paper near where the car was parked. Apparently it was just a failed attempt to toilet paper my house. I imagine they could have used some of that toilet paper to clean out their pants after it was over.

The good news is that, according to my teenage daughter, I now have quite a reputation around the school as one crazy S.O.B. As a homeowner and father of a teenage daughter, thats the kind of rep I don't mind having. Who knows, it may even be warranted.

hope you don't get charged with some silly crap like wreckless endangerment.the scum of the earth seem to have inherited it and all the rights as well.

hope you don't get charged with some silly crap like wreckless endangerment.the scum of the earth seem to have inherited it and all the rights as well.

No, there weren't any repercussions. Hopefully they learned a lesson to not be creeping around other people's houses at night. If I knew their identities for sure, I just might send their parents a bill for the ammo I expended. It was some rather expensive stuff to replace.

Two years ago we got toilet papered, while cleaning up we counted over 400 rolls of paper. I dont mind a little prank once in a while but that was ridiculous.

Got a dog? I sicced my gentle golden retriever after some boys that I knew.
They were boys that were known to break into houses and mostly do vandalism. Their parental units would pay for the damage and convince people not to press charges. I saw them prowling around the neighbor's house so sent my girl after them. She was scary looking and a barker if you didn't know her. No danger of biting, wellll, those boys had teased her in the past. The boys took off and my dog came prancing home very proud of herself. Sometimes just a Hello and nod to let a stranger know you have seen them is enough to make them turn around and leave.

My Used Dog has been rumored to stay silently under the porch when people drive up, but I think he's feeling more at home and barking now.

The good news is that, according to my teenage daughter, I now have quite a reputation around the school as one crazy S.O.B. As a homeowner and father of a teenage daughter, that's the kind of rep I don't mind having. Who knows, it may even be warranted.

If more people took this kind of approach to the problem, people would stop trying to steal and vandalize, they do it because they get away with it, as the country in general has become too soft.
The police who are supposed to protect and serve, show up after the fact, and even if they make an arrest the scum gets off in court.
I believe in proper vigilance and taking care of our own, if our government isn't working its time to stand on our own.

And it's not "Portland" or "rinos" ( WTF is with that ? ). It may be that we have the highest % of LTC holders in the country. :) Not in MN ?

What I was talking about is that the state as a whole is pretty conservative or libertarian in it's viewpoint, but the fact is that Portland controls how state election results turn out due to it's political power and population density. You go out to western ME, Aroostook, or Downeast and most folks don't want a lot of government poking around their lives.

And a Rino is a Republican in Name Only. Collins and Snowe (your state senators) tend to vote liberal not conservative regardless of their political party.

I had LTC in ME as well, and I think it kept people honest too. I liked Maine, but outside of my job at the University, there wasn't a lot of other job options there. I had to move to find different work (and that is often the case with many Mainers).

You know, if it wasn't for the fact that A) I have a neighbor somewhat close, and B) I don't have a teenage daughter, I would swear that I posted this and had a mental lapse! lol Seriously though, good for you... like someone else said, if there were more people like you and I around, the crime rate would get cut back a tad considering we take things into our own hands as far as safety of our famillies and ourselves. :cheers:

It is good that you have a reputation as a WILDCARD. These miscreants will tell the story to all their friends, "Don't screw around near the TRAPSHOOTER house, he's Efin nuts and tried to kill us." Nicely done!:clap:

What I was talking about is that the state as a whole is pretty conservative or libertarian in it's viewpoint, but the fact is that Portland controls how state election results turn out due to it's political power and population density. You go out to western ME, Aroostook, or Downeast and most folks don't want a lot of government poking around their lives.

And a Rino is a Republican in Name Only. Collins and Snowe (your state senators) tend to vote liberal not conservative regardless of their political party.

I had LTC in ME as well, and I think it kept people honest too. I liked Maine, but outside of my job at the University, there wasn't't a lot of other job options there. I had to move to find different work (and that is often the case with many Mainers).

Wrong on all counts.....(forgive the hijack)

1. Portland 'controls' nothing. Recent Referendum on marriage PASSED with a good margin.That was a "Fundamentalist" vote, not left, not right, not liberal, not conservative, not Dem, not Republican.

2. Yes, we know "RINO". It's the concept that's stupid. I'd rather have real Independents representing me, than ideologues--slaves to some rigid set of ideas. One doesn't't have to agree with every vote or position all the time.
And who decreed that one can only be Dem or Republican ? We don need no dialectic bull#@%*. Stupid is as stupid does.

3. This is a badly run and expensive, over taxed state....like many. It is 'run' by both parties....badly. There are jobs, many Mainers make do outside of gov't or bureaucratic institutions. Most make their own way.

JMNSHO:givebeer:

Back