I finally got my 07S!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dapper Dan

Dapper Dan

ArboristSite Operative
I just got home from the paint store. I had to buy another can of self-etching primer and another pint of grey. One aerosol can of the primer is $14. A pint of Ful-thane 2K Urethane was $17.86. Then you have to add activator and reducer to that. I don't recall what they cost. You'll likely need 1/2-1 pint of grey and 1/2 pint of red. I'm guessing material for a pint job like this would run you close to $75 by the time you bought your lacquer thinner to clean the gun and all. It's the only way to restore a saw and have a finish that will last though. The Stihl paint just won't cut it. Gasoline doesn't touch this stuff. It wipes off like water. With any luck, I MAY get to shoot the primer tonight. I still have some sanding prep to do before I can shoot them.

We use Dupont products here at my bodyshop.
We have our own mixing machine and it saves a little because you can mix only the amount you need but....BOY HOWDY....when they hand me the weekly restocking invoice.....it nearly puts me in cardiac arrest!!!!
Hard to get reimbursed from the insurance companies too....they are in denial as to what this stuff costs.
My favorite is when someone comes in for a quote on an overall paint job with the line "I'll go buy the materials, just price the labor". I give em a list and send em off to the paint store. This is always followed by...."GEEZ...Do you know how much all that stuff costs?"

rxe

ArboristSite Guru
Brad/JimL - is one of those starter housings still for sale?

FYI:

Gasket = Dichtung
Gasket Set = Dichtungsatz

:)

Last edited:
blsnelling
I just ran over to the dealer to order the parts I need for it. EVERY LAST SINGLE PART IS NLA! Fortunately, I didn't split the case or pull the crank seals. Unless I can find some, I'll be making some other gaskets though. A few of the parts are available on eBay. Please, if you have or know where you can find any of these parts, let me know. I'm suspecting that several of these will cross from a different model with a different prefix, but I don't know the parts interchangeability that well. Help me out here guys. Thanks.

1. Complete gasket kit OR
    • Base gasket - 1107 029 2300
    • Exhaust gasket - 1107 149 0600
    • Carb spacer gasket - 1106 129 1101
    • Carb gasket - 1106 129 1100
    • Oil pump gasket - 1107 359 0700
  2. Chainguard that goes inside the bar cover area - 1107 656 1500 - Bought from CBailey
  3. Outer spike/dawg - 1107 664 0500
  4. Sprocket/drum - 1107 640 2000
  5. The two rubber pads on the bottom of the case - 1107 021 7600 - One bought from CBailey. Need one more.
  6. The retainers for those pads - 0000 999 1400
  7. Vent hose - 1108 350 5800
  8. Grub screw - 0000 951 5815
  9. Fuel filter - 1108 358 1800
  10. The rubber tube/isolator that goes in the hole of the case for the hinge bolt of the shroud - 1107 650 9000
  11. Governor rod - 1107 100 0600

Last edited:

rxe

ArboristSite Guru
Vent hose - do you mean the hose sticking out of the fuel tank to vent pressure? Use a 5mm length of vitron with a bolt in the end of it. Cut the head off the bolt - it looks just like the original. Air seeps in through the thread.

Gaskets - I assume we have to make them. I have gasket paper and a nice set of punches...

Sprocket - Banta Saw, or cut down the 070 version as above.

Fuel filter - Bailey's generic works for me.

I'll mail you a dawg if my winch saw has them - I'll check.

blsnelling
Vent hose - do you mean the hose sticking out of the fuel tank to vent pressure? Use a 5mm length of vitron with a bolt in the end of it. Cut the head off the bolt - it looks just like the original. Air seeps in through the thread.
You are correct. It's just easier to buy them new when they're $1 parts.

Gaskets - I assume we have to make them. I have gasket paper and a nice set of punches...
No punches here. I'm sure glad I didn't split the cases!

Sprocket - Banta Saw, or cut down the 070 version as above.
I'm almost positive you can use one from a 08/S10.

Fuel filter - Bailey's generic works for me.
Mine is different. I have a rubber body with a heavy metal spring in it, capped off with a plastic cap. I think the filter goes inside the spring.

I'll mail you a dawg if my winch saw has them - I'll check.
That would be awesome! The inner and outer sprockets are the same.

rxe

ArboristSite Guru
OK - you got a dawg. Where do you want it sent? Bank holiday weekend coming up here....you want the carb and spacer gaskets made up? I'll cut you a section of vitron as well - it is pretty expensive in metre lengths, but that is the only way they sell it. I have enough to last me about 100 saws....

I'd be interested if you find that an 08 sprocket will fit - aren't they 3/8?

blsnelling
OK - you got a dawg. Where do you want it sent? Bank holiday weekend coming up here....you want the carb and spacer gaskets made up? I'll cut you a section of vitron as well - it is pretty expensive in metre lengths, but that is the only way they sell it. I have enough to last me about 100 saws....

What?!! I just realized you was in the UK! You want me to place an order? Sure. I can do that. I'll send you a PM. Thanks.

BaldSawRunner

BaldSawRunner

ArboristSite Operative
Now, I know this may sound goofy, and this maybe off topic a little... but does anyone think it would be cool if Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, etc, built some "retro saws"?? I think that would be awesome:D

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
The moral of the story is, if you want to restore a 07S, you better start with a complete functional saw. Luckily, I did. I can only now really appreciate JimL hooking me up with the NOS recoil housing and handles. Thanks Jim! Now where are the rest of my parts:clap:

The impatience of youth....

Na... you're just spoiled with your "48 hours rebuilds...." ;) part of the fun is the chase.. finding the right parts that aren't available any more... I've spent a year accumuating the NOS parts for my 056M2.. and now I have them...

Oh - same with other devices..I just spend 6 months getting the right parts for my BP without paying $2000 for them. . just got the last part (sure..) a few hours ago on ebay.. total - $289...

Last edited:
Dan Forsh

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite

I thought the 08 was .404 as standard?

Dan Forsh

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
Now, I know this may sound goofy, and this maybe off topic a little... but does anyone think it would be cool if Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, etc, built some "retro saws"?? I think that would be awesome:D

Stihl do. You can buy them in Mexico or Brazil. You can get the others too, from China.

blsnelling
Thanks to our friend in the UK, rxe, I've now got the spike I need as well as all the gaskets except for the base, and some fuel/vent line. What can I say? That's mighty generous of you and I appreciate it. Let me know what I can do to repay you.

I measured my old base gasket pieces. Compressed areas measure .011". Uncompressed areas measure .020". Any ideas what to make a .010" base gasket out of? Maybe I'll try Erick's method. I just need to find paper that thickness.

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Thanks to our friend in the UK, rxe, I've now got the spike I need as well as all the gaskets except for the base, and some fuel/vent line. What can I say? That's mighty generous of you and I appreciate it. Let me know what I can do to repay you.

I measured my old base gasket pieces. Compressed areas measure .011". Uncompressed areas measure .020". Any ideas what to make a .010" base gasket out of? Maybe I'll try Erick's method. I just need to find paper that thickness.

it's supposed to be 0.5mm.. don't start with the compressed 10 thou... it's not a "hot saw"....

Dan Forsh

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thanks to our friend in the UK, rxe, I've now got the spike I need as well as all the gaskets except for the base, and some fuel/vent line.

Hey dummie, did you miss this gift horse? :hmm3grin2orange:

OK - I'll cut you a section of vitron as well - it is pretty expensive in metre lengths, but that is the only way they sell it. I have enough to last me about 100 saws....

Latest posts