I finally got my 07S!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad....your lack of enthusiam...really depresses me on these restoration threads of yours! ;)
(Can't wait to see the "finished product")

I know. I'm just a slacker, especially when it comes to my saws:mad: :cry: Hey go check out the progress I made on the 08S tonight. I've got to get that thing done so that I can got on this thing.

I'll post an update on today's 07 experiences.

I bought what I thought was a parts saw for £7 - that's $14 in your money. All I wanted was the exhaust, and this seemed like a decent way of getting one. The bad news (from the CAD perspective) is that the "parts saw" is in far better condition that the one I was trying to fix. Damn, now I have 3 07s.

Anyway, I'm not doing a proper restoration like Brad's - I'm creating a working saw and bolting it up to the Lewis Winch that is sitting on my table. So I want functional, not show grade.

Today I tore into it. Piston and jug are good - 160 PSI, with one score mark on the exhaust side. The carb was stripped, dumped in the (new) ultrasonic cleaner and re-kitted. Nice and shiny now.

Then I pulled the starter off. Hmmm. Why has someone cut out a really thick gasket to go under the recoil cover? I peeled it off and put it to one side. I stripped the recoil down, dumped it in the tank and re-assembled it. New rope, nice and clean, looking good. Then I bolted the recoil cover back on....and realised that the fan was binding on the recoil cover. I removed the fan, and checked alignment. Still binding. I removed the flywheel and fan, swapped them with one from another saw. Still binding. Everything looks fine, flywheel nut is torqued correctly, fan is properly in place. In the end, I packed out the recoil housing with a few washers, and it works fine - but why is the crank about 2 mm over to the left? Any ideas, O wise ones?

Anyway, it runs very well. Idle is a smooth 1800 rpm and the cut off kicks in at 7400 rpm. By disabling the cut off, I tuned it to 11,000 rpm, which is the same as an 070. If these figures are wildly wrong, please tell me!

Now all I have to do is to work out how to attach a large mount Stihl to a Lewis Winch - it appears to be designed for a small mount bar.

I'll post an update on today's 07 experiences.

I bought what I thought was a parts saw for £7 - that's $14 in your money. All I wanted was the exhaust, and this seemed like a decent way of getting one. The bad news (from the CAD perspective) is that the "parts saw" is in far better condition that the one I was trying to fix. Damn, now I have 3 07s.

Anyway, I'm not doing a proper restoration like Brad's - I'm creating a working saw and bolting it up to the Lewis Winch that is sitting on my table. So I want functional, not show grade.

Today I tore into it. Piston and jug are good - 160 PSI, with one score mark on the exhaust side. The carb was stripped, dumped in the (new) ultrasonic cleaner and re-kitted. Nice and shiny now.

Then I pulled the starter off. Hmmm. Why has someone cut out a really thick gasket to go under the recoil cover? I peeled it off and put it to one side. I stripped the recoil down, dumped it in the tank and re-assembled it. New rope, nice and clean, looking good. Then I bolted the recoil cover back on....and realised that the fan was binding on the recoil cover. I removed the fan, and checked alignment. Still binding. I removed the flywheel and fan, swapped them with one from another saw. Still binding. Everything looks fine, flywheel nut is torqued correctly, fan is properly in place. In the end, I packed out the recoil housing with a few washers, and it works fine - but why is the crank about 2 mm over to the left? Any ideas, O wise ones?

Anyway, it runs very well. Idle is a smooth 1800 rpm and the cut off kicks in at 7400 rpm. By disabling the cut off, I tuned it to 11,000 rpm, which is the same as an 070. If these figures are wildly wrong, please tell me!

Now all I have to do is to work out how to attach a large mount Stihl to a Lewis Winch - it appears to be designed for a small mount bar.

were there different 07 cranks - 07/07S?

I'm very interested in the Lewis winch, it looks very handy. If you don't mind me asking - how much was it and where did you get it?

I'm trying to tune my 076, how did you remove the rpm limiter for the 07? They look like nice saws, I wish I needed one, one on ebay now... Maybe you could turn the studs down, or fit small ones for the winch. Do the oilers mind running dry?

Last edited:
The rev limiter on the 07 is a strip of metal that sits next to the fan. When the revs rise, the strip is lifted and pulls the choke closed. There is a spring that lets you "tune" it to kick in at the right point. Very simple, very safe from a "leaning out" perspective, but probably illegal these days - it chucks a lot of smoke when it kicks in. I would guess that anything on an 076 is probably electronic?

Lewis winch - Baileys, $740. Shipping was ugly, but I was getting a load of chain as well. Somehow the winch package went through under the radar of customs - no tax! The chain package got the full tax treatment though.

It is more an alignment problem for the 07 and the winch. The studs fit - it is just that the sprocket is too far to the right (as you are looking from the top). You either need to cut 5 mm off the crank (nasty), or get busy with the welding gear and make a spacer. It fits on the 046 perfectly. I'll try making up a spacer of some sort.

On the cranks - when I get round to really tearing this one down, I'll measure the crank against my parts saw. I really can't see a reason for the fan rubbing unless the wrong crank is in there.

OK all you pathetic CAD afflicted beggers. I've started on the restore. I came home from work this evening not feeling real well. But I sacrificed my body and got to work on the 07S.:greenchainsaw: It's all apart and currently getting a bath in the ............dishwasher. Where else would I clean my saws? This thing was dirty too. Not for long. I didn't find any nasty surprises. I found it interesting that the oil pump appears to be driven by a pushrod off the crankshaft. Also, the rod is a two-piece. That makes it nice for taping off. I also removed the studs for the same reason.

I'm going to be going through the IPL this evening and making up a parts list. Is the complete gasket kit available? That's the main thing I need. I also need the rubber isolator for the shroud hinge bolt. My IPL is foreign, so this might be fun.

My goal is to have this thing done for the April 19 Ohio GTG. I'm also trying to keep from having to replace my urethane activator since it has such a short shelf life. I'm hoping to have extended it a little by having it in a cool garage.

267519403_wYoZ2-M.jpg

267519385_PQeRd-M.jpg

OK all you pathetic CAD afflicted beggers. . I'm hoping to have extended it a little by having it in a cool garage.

267519403_wYoZ2-M.jpg

267519385_PQeRd-M.jpg

I keep it in the freezer.WARNING BE SURE TO INDIVIDUALLY SEAL WRAP IT 4-5 TIMES.Its got a sneaky way of taintin the steak an everything else.
= wife was not impressed with the ice-cream either....hehe....first the dishwasher an now the freezer.

Last edited:
I'm interested in the gasket answer as well...I could make them, but it is a fiddle to do the ones that join the case together.

On putting stuff in freezers, well, my family has history. When I was young we had a cat who used to catch moles. One day it brought a big one in, and my mum thought "little rxe is at school, he'd like to see this, so I'll bag it and put it in the freezer" (it was a hot day). So she did that, and promptly forgot about it. Several years later, she goes to the freezer looking for some blackberries. She finds some, and empties the frozen mass on a plate to defrost.

2 hours later (in front of a mate from school), I was asking "Mum, why are we having mole for pudding?". It took her a long time to live that down.... :)

I keep it in the freezer.WARNING BE SURE TO INDIVIDUALLY SEAL WRAP IT 4-5 TIMES.Its got a sneaky way of taintin the steak an everything else.
= wife was not impressed with the ice-cream either....hehe....first the dishwasher an now the freezer.

You forgot the oven. I've already used the freezer for freezing bearings and cranks.

You forgot the oven. I've already used the freezer for freezing bearings and cranks.

yeah i forgot about the frozen crank .I got one too- snuggled next to the peas.
But watch that poly it got ways about it.WARNING.Sneaky ways of leaching out.Freezen temp for it, way low.

Love the mole story
- Now back to 07S / its washed .............

Brad, the dishes look great! yum yum when's dinner? LOL

I was wondering. It looks like the case is not split, so I imagine the crank and con rod are stihl attached. How do you protect/reoil or whatever you do with the bearings? Or are you replacing all that? I'm just kinda curious, because, well, you see, I have this really good Whirlpool dishwasher and sum dirty saws, and well, you kin probly figger out whut I'ma thinkin.

me wanna eat offa chainsaw dishes:greenchainsaw:

I was wondering. It looks like the case is not split, so I imagine the crank and con rod are stihl attached. How do you protect/reoil or whatever you do with the bearings? Or are you replacing all that?

No, I'm not splitting the cases. Nothings being replaced except for the recoil housing and both handles. I've already got them here. In the case of this 07S, it has a two-piece rod, so it can be removed and gotten out of the way so that it's not sticking out of the case. I then simple taped the crankcase over. I'm able to keep 99% of the water out. I do not let it dry in the washer. I immediately remove the saw and blow everything out VERY good with compressed air. I then rinse the crank cavity again with mix and spin the crank over quite a few times. I blow it out again. Only then do I VERY liberally lube the bearings and spin the crank over several more times. It is definately more desirable to have the cases split and the crank/bearings removed. However, I don't even know if I can get gaskets for this thing yet, so I chose not to split it. Just make sure you're very prompt on removing any traces of water and get those bearing WELL lubed.

I just got home from the paint store. I had to buy another can of self-etching primer and another pint of grey. One aerosol can of the primer is $14. A pint of Ful-thane 2K Urethane was $17.86. Then you have to add activator and reducer to that. I don't recall what they cost. You'll likely need 1/2-1 pint of grey and 1/2 pint of red. I'm guessing material for a pint job like this would run you close to $75 by the time you bought your lacquer thinner to clean the gun and all. It's the only way to restore a saw and have a finish that will last though. The Stihl paint just won't cut it. Gasoline doesn't touch this stuff. It wipes off like water. With any luck, I MAY get to shoot the primer tonight. I still have some sanding prep to do before I can shoot them.

Latest posts

Back