I finally pulled the trigger on a new splitter.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambull

OCD Muscle Saw Collector
Reaction score
Well I have been doing about 8-10 cords a year now, and I had been mostly splitting it with a maul. Anyways, I looked long and hard at different splitters, and decided to go with the Built-Rite 11HPWS. I wanted the log lift, tray, autocycle, and hydraulic 4-way. The big advantage of the Built-Rite seems to be the disappearing wedge. From my limited experience with splitters, it seems more often than not you are going back and forth between 2 and 4 way splitting. I also like the fact that the 4 way is attached to the cylinder, so it doesn't start walking up like a slip on 4 way sometimes does.

I ended up going with the 5" cylinder. I lose quite a bit of cycle time, but with the autocycle I don't think it will be particularly noticeable. I would really be bummed if I got the 4", and then had trouble splitting the big stuff.

Built-Rite has recently lowered prices, so this splitter is about $400 less than it was 6 months ago. At about $7000 it still is pretty expensive though. The nice thing about getting a splitter is that they hold their value really well, so I know I can get out of it if I fall on hard times.

The 24HPWS is really impressive, but I just couldn't justify the additional expense, as it really doesn't do anything much better than the 11, and it takes up more space.

So anyways it should arrive in 2-3 weeks, so I will post some pictures then. For now here are some from the website.

http://built-rite.com/PICTURES/SPLITTERS/11HPWS/11 HPWS 3.JPG

http://built-rite.com/PICTURES/SPLITTERS/11HPWS/11 HPWS 4.JPG

http://built-rite.com/PICTURES/SPLITTERS/11hpws splitter 4ft/4ft 11 hpws splitter 003.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like a great splitter. Wow though, $7k is a tough bullet to bite!

Did you consider a Supersplit for about half the price?

That looks like a great splitter. Wow though, $7k is a tough bullet to bite!

Did you consider a Supersplit for about half the price?

My back isn't what it used to be. Wanted the log lift big time. On my farm there is a disease that is killing most of the old maple and ash trees, and they are very hard to split. I was a bit concerned how the Supersplit would do. Nothing would be worse than spending less on the Supersplit, and being unhappy with it.

I recently saw three Timberwolf splitters for sale in this area on Craigslist. They were all selling for over $5000, and all three were gone by the time I called. One I called on in less than 24 hours, and it was already sold. I made me feel a lot better about dropping some money on the Built-Rite. It's funny how nobody has a problem dropping $10K on a new ATV, or dropping $10K on a quality used dump truck, but when it is a log splitter it seems like more money. And a splitter holds it's value way better than either of the first two.

Congrats

Nice machine to be sure. They are on my short list as I'm replacing my T'Wolf TW-P1 this fall. Problem is there are not any dealers within a resonable distance. Will be very interested in any future posts on your impressions as you use it more.

You're absolutely correct about the auto-cycle. My next machine will have it for sure. The 10 to 15 seconds of cycle time is no longer wasted and you can really move the wood through the splitter, especially when working alone.

Take Care

Looks like a great splitter.
I wonder which of my kids I would have to sell to get one?????? :jawdrop:

Congratulation on your new splitter purchase! I have been looking at that model myself. I have been in steel fab for years and I'm thinking about building a new splitter for next season. When you get your splitter would you be willing to send me a few pics/info? I really like the design of the Built Rite splitter, especially that 4 way wedge.

Congratulation on your new splitter purchase! I have been looking at that model myself. I have been in steel fab for years and I'm thinking about building a new splitter for next season. When you get your splitter would you be willing to send me a few pics/info? I really like the design of the Built Rite splitter, especially that 4 way wedge.

Yeah that's what turned me on to it. No problem, be glad to help you out.

I purchased an "IRON & OAK" brand close to 9 yrs. ago. It has been completely trouble free and a good performer. I do wish the thing had the lift and the 4 way. The production would be so much more.

Ambull,

I think you'll be very happy with the 11. Built-Rites are built right! Very nice welds, design considerations and wedge system. I've been using my 24 HPWS-D nearly every day now and I'm really pleased with it.

Keep us updated on your experience.

-Mark

Looks great!!! But!!!... seems way overkill for 10 cords a year.

Sure is overkill. Now that I have good equipment, I am sure I will do more though. Certainly could have just kept using the maul. Like I said before, these things last forever, and hold their value forever, so it is not a bad investment in the long run in my opinion.

Thanks all for your replies.

Congrats

Nice machine to be sure. They are on my short list as I'm replacing my T'Wolf TW-P1 this fall. Problem is there are not any dealers within a resonable distance. Will be very interested in any future posts on your impressions as you use it more.

You're absolutely correct about the auto-cycle. My next machine will have it for sure. The 10 to 15 seconds of cycle time is no longer wasted and you can really move the wood through the splitter, especially when working alone.

Take Care

Built-Rite is in Vermont, and it'll be cheaper if you drive up and get it. It isn't more than a day's round trip from Ct.

Congrats

Take Care

There is a Very Good Reason Built Rite does not have a big list of dealers... If You are looking to upgrade / trade your TWP1 Give me a call Im sure I could set up something from Timberwolf for You..

Scott

So what is it?

Because he would rather sell to a dealers customer direct and leave the SERVICING Dealer hanging on to his stock of inventory. Even after the dealer demo'ed to said customer.....

He did the same to Brute (his old company before selling and running off with the money, After selling it To another man that ran off with the money, then sold to 2 english gentlemen that ran the company bankrupt)...

Glad Im Selling Timberwolf Splitters they know how to take care of Their Dealers!

Kudos to the Guys and Ladies at Timberwolf Manufacturing.

Scott

Back