I finally pulled the trigger on a new splitter.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because he would rather sell to a dealers customer direct and leave the SERVICING Dealer hanging on to his stock of inventory. Even after the dealer demo'ed to said customer.....

He did the same to Brute (his old company before selling and running off with the money, After selling it To another man that ran off with the money, then sold to 2 english gentlemen that ran the company bankrupt)...

Glad Im Selling Timberwolf Splitters they know how to take care of Their Dealers!

Kudos to the Guys and Ladies at Timberwolf Manufacturing.

Scott

Well when I called BR they pointed me directly to a dealer, and the dealer was about 2 hours away from me. The dealer knew the product line very well and was extremely helpful in answering all my questions. I also looked at the Timberwolfs, who also pointed me to the nearest dealer. The TW dealer was in the next town over, so I actually went down there. The dealer was very unfamiliar with the product line, and actually knew less about them than I did. This didn't really matter to me. The TW5 and the 11HPWS are similar units, but I liked the disappearing wedge on the BR, and the price was a little less. The TW5 is a really nice unit though.

Glad they take care of you.

splitter

great splitter i was split between the tw6 hw 24 got a good deal on a tw6 dont worry about the money every thing that is great cost lots of money good luck

Well when I called BR they pointed me directly to a dealer, and the dealer was about 2 hours away from me. The dealer knew the product line very well and was extremely helpful in answering all my questions. I also looked at the Timberwolfs, who also pointed me to the nearest dealer. The TW dealer was in the next town over, so I actually went down there. The dealer was very unfamiliar with the product line, and actually knew less about them than I did. This didn't really matter to me. The TW5 and the 11HPWS are similar units, but I liked the disappearing wedge on the BR, and the price was a little less. The TW5 is a really nice unit though.

Glad they take care of you.

Maybe it is because im in their backyard so to speak like 70+/- miles away??

Scott

Because he would rather sell to a dealers customer direct and leave the SERVICING Dealer hanging on to his stock of inventory. Even after the dealer demo'ed to said customer.....

He did the same to Brute (his old company before selling and running off with the money, After selling it To another man that ran off with the money, then sold to 2 english gentlemen that ran the company bankrupt)...

Glad Im Selling Timberwolf Splitters they know how to take care of Their Dealers!

Kudos to the Guys and Ladies at Timberwolf Manufacturing.

Scott

Bad mouthing another company publicly just to make Timberwolf look good is just not good business sense. If I owned Timberwolf and this is how you represented me on a public forum... well you wouldn't be selling my products anymore. JMHO

Bad mouthing another company publicly just to make Timberwolf look good is just not good business sense. If I owned Timberwolf and this is how you represented me on a public forum... well you wouldn't be selling my products anymore. JMHO

I kind of asked for it. Some of the bad mouthing seems a bit subjective, but I think that it is always good to hear different opinions. I learn more about products on here than I ever would somewhere else. As long as everyone keeps it civil. I know that TW and BR were once related, so whenever two competitive companies are formed out of one, there is going to be some bad blood.

Like I said, the BR dealer here was quite knowledgable and and gave me a good price. Frankly on a wood splitter there is not much that needs dealer servicing ever. BR is really great to talk to on the phone as well. I would not have known about BR unless they were sponsors on this forum.

One more thing: Timberwolf is more into splitters than BR. BR specializes more in wood processors. TW has about 12 splitter models, and BR has 2. TW has 5 processors, and BR has 10.

The wood processor market is much smaller than the splitter market, so I am sure that it is harder to maintain a dealer network. Just not enough consistent sales.

It may have to do with the fact that I did sell Both his Brute Lines and his Built rite lines and after being burned by him numeroius times I am just giving a heads up is all... Been There Done That!!

Have a NICE Day

Scott

It may have to do with the fact that I did sell Both his Brute Lines and his Built rite lines and after being burned by him numeroius times I am just giving a heads up is all... Been There Done That!!

Have a NICE Day

Scott

It's all good Scott. I myself am the first one to bad mouth someone when I have been burned. I am also the first one to praise somebody when they treat me right. Believe me, if I get burned on this splitter, everyone is going to know.

Hey I checked your site and saw that you sell Ventracs. Those things are awesome. I bought a 4231 with the 7' Countour Deck this spring. I also got the dual wheel package. What an awesome machine. And speaking of dealers, I couldn't have been happier with my dealer. Ironically, he is called "The Cutting Edge" also.

I don't think that there exists a machine that can do a better job cutting a large lawn with hills.

001-16.jpg

My back isn't what it used to be. Wanted the log lift big time. On my farm there is a disease that is killing most of the old maple and ash trees, and they are very hard to split. I was a bit concerned how the Supersplit would do. Nothing would be worse than spending less on the Supersplit, and being unhappy with it.

I recently saw three Timberwolf splitters for sale in this area on Craigslist. They were all selling for over $5000, and all three were gone by the time I called. One I called on in less than 24 hours, and it was already sold. I made me feel a lot better about dropping some money on the Built-Rite. It's funny how nobody has a problem dropping $10K on a new ATV, or dropping $10K on a quality used dump truck, but when it is a log splitter it seems like more money. And a splitter holds it's value way better than either of the first two.

I couldn't agree more. I have friends that have high dollar atv,gun,camper,boat,ect toys and they see my homemade wood splitters and say how much money do you have in those. I tell them you have your toys I have tools that are my toys. Enjoy your new splitter looks very well built.

Well I have been doing about 8-10 cords a year now, and I had been mostly splitting it with a maul. Anyways, I looked long and hard at different splitters, and decided to go with the Built-Rite 11HPWS. I wanted the log lift, tray, autocycle, and hydraulic 4-way. The big advantage of the Built-Rite seems to be the disappearing wedge. From my limited experience with splitters, it seems more often than not you are going back and forth between 2 and 4 way splitting. I also like the fact that the 4 way is attached to the cylinder, so it doesn't start walking up like a slip on 4 way sometimes does.

I ended up going with the 5" cylinder. I lose quite a bit of cycle time, but with the autocycle I don't think it will be particularly noticeable. I would really be bummed if I got the 4", and then had trouble splitting the big stuff.

Built-Rite has recently lowered prices, so this splitter is about $400 less than it was 6 months ago. At about $7000 it still is pretty expensive though. The nice thing about getting a splitter is that they hold their value really well, so I know I can get out of it if I fall on hard times.

The 24HPWS is really impressive, but I just couldn't justify the additional expense, as it really doesn't do anything much better than the 11, and it takes up more space.

So anyways it should arrive in 2-3 weeks, so I will post some pictures then. For now here are some from the website.

http://built-rite.com/PICTURES/SPLITTERS/11HPWS/11 HPWS 3.JPG

http://built-rite.com/PICTURES/SPLITTERS/11HPWS/11 HPWS 4.JPG

http://built-rite.com/PICTURES/SPLITTERS/11hpws splitter 4ft/4ft 11 hpws splitter 003.jpg
Did you look at Split Fire machines? Got mine for under four thousand, two splitter heads , single and four way, splits in both directions and came with a hydraulic log lift, and a honda motor. Made in Canada.

This is a great thread

I am about to purchase a new spitter as well. And would love some ideas from fellow members. The most important thing to me is to have the ability to use different heads. I want 2way all the way up so I can change it out depending on log size. The easier to change the better. All sugestions welcome.

I am about to purchase a new spitter as well. And would love some ideas from fellow members. The most important thing to me is to have the ability to use different heads. I want 2way all the way up so I can change it out depending on log size. The easier to change the better. All sugestions welcome.
Split Fire lets you change wedges by simply pushing a detented pin out of the side of the wedge. I like that it splits in the push as well as the return stroke too. I use to own a Super Split too for 20 years but I like have the hydraulic lift table. Makes a great staging area too. Check out Split Fire on You Tube .

The built-rite can be equiped with interchangable wedges from 2 to 10 way. They swap in a couple minutes once you get the hang of it. However, these are expensive machines and you will have to decide if you split enough wood to justify the cost. How much wood are you planning on splitting?

-Mark

This year I sold around 4000 bundles and am planning to expand next year this is why I have to upgrade. I for sure would rather spend money on a machine that does not break down and does what I need. I saw that with the built right and it is what I am leaning at now. Just wish I had others to campare it to that would do the same things.

The thing is I sell that out of my yard I suply none of the massive amounts of camp grounds around. I may try that if I had a better system.

I had one ask me once to suply them and I asked how much they needed and it would have been 10 times what I do and I just laughed and that was the end of that.

can you pull that from both ends? Looks like the hitch is on one end in one pic and the other in another. I think the wood should always end up away from the hitch, that way you can pull the splitter ahead either with a vehicle or quad, and keep working leaving your split wood in a line behind you.
Looks like a great machine.

I didn't really look at the Splitfire. The two direction is neat, but I would prefer single direction with auto cycle. I can position the bucket of my tractor off the end of the table, and the wood will fill it.

The Timberwolf and Built Rite have a hydraulically adjustable 4-way, so you can adjust it to the center of the log every time. To me this is a nice feature, as the 4 way never seems to be in the right place. On the BR the wedge can be hydraulically lowered out of the way for two way splitting. Also, the BR wedge is fixed to the cylinder so it won't walk up when splitting one log after another.

The unit can be towed from either end, but the one end is more recommended for just moving the splitter on site, as it will give negative tongue load.

going out now to split

with the old spitter. I can think of nothing but a nice 10way for this big stuff. Got to get stocked up now though. I am going to contact built right soon.

Back