I forgot this was hard work...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon E

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Yesterday morning, my woodshed was empty. I'd spent all winter just burning what was in the shed, and by Friday night there was about two armloads of wood left, sitting in a little pile in the corner. It was a good thing my weekend was free because I was gonna be cutting green trees if I couldn't find some firewood.

Well my 17 YO son and I, he drove the tractor and stacked in the shed, I loaded the bucket and cut and split, we pulled all kinds of wood out of the snowpiles and from some old stacks and managed to put up three cords of mostly dry hardwood in about an eight-hour day. I also dropped three dead ash trees and bucked and piled the rounds.

My yard always looks like a tree service dumping ground. There's piles of wood everywhere, you name it, I got it. Several cords of pine slabs from 8-16' long, a bunch of random stacks of dry hardwood rounds that were cut and piled four years ago, a big pile of tree service leavings (mostly red pine, boxelder, sugar maple and black locust), a bunch of big rounds of maple, and three big stacks of mostly rotten sawlogs that are destined for firewood. I put four tanks of gas through my little 025, just crawling around various piles and doing a little 'precision cutting' to get what wasn't frozen solid. Split about 3/4 cord of what we stacked, with the Monster maul and my smaller True Temper splitting axe, and for a couple rounds (green pine is a b***h to split!) with the Estwing wedge and 6 lb sledgehammer.

I hadn't seriously cut any wood since last fall, probably only put an hour on my saws total since then, and lemme tell you, I couldn't get out of bed this morning. My eyes were open, my brain was thinking, and nothing else was working. There is such a thing as going past your point of comfort - and I did just that. I quit at dusk last night and I should have quit mid-afternoon, but heck, you get on a roll and you think 'just one more load' or 'just one more tank of gas' and before you know it, you are dragging. I was so tired I left my saw and my splitting mauls right on the woodpile and staggered back to the house. Was in bed by 9 pm, two hours early. :dizzy:

:givebeer:

Been there once or twice. The next day can definitely bring the suck! Nothing like busting azz and getting a ton done in a good long day though to really feel like you accomplished something :cool:

Oh I was doing the same thing! Tired as could be and I'm lying there thinking about what pile to tackle next, or how I could have made the job easier, or what saw I should buy, or {snore}

Just keep on a cuttin.The reward is knowing the house is warm and the fuel man is still the lonest person in town.:hmm3grin2orange:

The loggers drug down a big pile of nice white/chestnut oaks Friday...we got 5 really full p-up loads Saturday...mores-a-commin!

:chainsaw::chainsaw:

I got back to cutting last weekend also. I cut the tendon in my left index finger and wanted to be fairly healed up before running the 372xp and it's ability to kickback.
Just one big bur oak tree (30" dbh) ~3-4 cords of wood ~ 2 cords cut and split + all of the rounds that could be handled left to split (~1-2 cords). If I would have not had to run to my buddies to pick up my splitter my FIL and I could have had it cleaned up the first day.

I have another slightly smaller bur oak (20-24") to get there and a dead walnut (~14") in his front yard if it freezes again. Probably not this weekend.

I might be splitting red elm this weekend to get it in the shed so I have more room to stack oak.:biggrinbounce2:

Don - trying to get caught up.

My arms and back were sore the first few times out cuttin last fall after taking the summer off. After that all was good but that first couple of times was kinda rough the next day.
BTW. You said you were dragging and cutting out of frozen snow piles. That's tough work! Putting in 3 cords that way is a BIG day of bustin arse. Enjoy your pain. You earned it. You also earned coffee in bed from the wife.:clap:

Last year my brother and I passed by a red oak lying in a yard that happened to be a church parsonage. We stopped and asked if they wanted the wood and the minister said yes it was going to some of his church members.
Well we passed by that pile of wood for a couple of months and it was still there for the most part. People came and took what they wanted and left the rest. Finally one day they posted a sign on it "free firewood". Well the stuff was all 40 to 42 inch in diameter and a few tried to cut it but gave up.
We took his little echo 440 and my little modded 353 (20") and proceeded to get all of it. Man was that stuff heavy. We even quartered it. Sure could have used a bigger saw that day. Our bodies were screaming "stay in bed" the next morning. But that red oak sure did burn nice for him this winter.
Don't ya sometimes feel like. I'm too old for this shi!!.

BTW. You said you were dragging and cutting out of frozen snow piles. That's tough work! Putting in 3 cords that way is a BIG day of bustin arse.

All day it was - select the piece of wood, smack it with a drilling hammer to dislodge it, drag or cut, repeat. If a couple shots with the hammer didn't loosen it up, I left it for spring. Although, probably 3/4 of what I cut either loosened up on its' own or was not frozen to anything else.

Back