I got a doozie to deal with

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gday
If I was really worried about the the stresses affecting the cutting fall this tree
I would just throw stout line over the hung up limb in photo six and drive off this would start to fall her steady and once the limb snapped the preasure of the other to trees would push the main away to the left and should have enough preasure to break the smaller branch at the top I believe the tree would come steady down
If you like you could just put a weakening cut in but before you start pull to be sure it goes to ground
at any rate mind how ya mate yeah :msp_wink:

Flashhole,

Thats a bit of a doozy to deal with. With a tree that size, and how its hung up makes the area where its hung up that much worse.

My question is, what kind of large tractor or truck can you get in there? My suggestion, purely from a safety standpoint, would be to cut the butt free and try to pull it so its down on the ground then cut it up how you want. This is an instance when its good to have a friend whos a logger with a skidder come over and pull it down after the butt is cut free:):hmm3grin2orange:. Obviously if thats not an option than so be it. Either way, stay safe, bring a cuttin buddy with you and take a ton of pics or video if you can.

My JD 790 is all I have to use on this. It's pretty gutsy for 30 hp but not as heavy as I'd like for this job. I can get it down to the fall area but I have to clear a path to do so. I have about 80 feet of chain that will help the situation because it will keep the tractor on the flat surface up the hill. The fact it's been raining for 2 days isn't helping the situation.

My JD 790 is all I have to use on this. It's pretty gutsy for 30 hp but not as heavy as I'd like for this job. I can get it down to the fall area but I have to clear a path to do so. I have about 80 feet of chain that will help the situation because it will keep the tractor on the flat surface up the hill. The fact it's been raining for 2 days isn't helping the situation.

It will help to have that buggy loaded down with weight like that if you go to pull..

man, it's wet here, had to rock out of the mud three times today..I am NOT going down to the bottom fields for awhile now....left some dang impressive ruts, and hauled looks to be couple hundred lbs of mud back to the barn with me.....

Last night we watched The Old Man And The Sea with Spencer Tracy, a movie based on the Hemmingway book. My lovely wife is calling this adventure The Old Man And The Tree.

Photo 1 page one is where I started. Some more pics showing the progress.

Half cut just like I planned.

Cleared the stump.

This is how high I wanted to cut initially but I couldn't safely reach it to cut it. This sucker was pinned down hard with all that weight. Got the saw stuck twice even with wedges.

This is how I ended the day. I'm winning but it's putting up a good fight. This took me over 3 hours and a lot of sweat. Tomorrow I try and pull it free.

Round 2 went to the tree. Fought with it for 4 hours and only moved it about 2 feet to the left. I'm now convinced I have to attack the problem from the other end.

How do you remotely drop a tree? The two that are holding it up are about 12" diameter and of no particular value. The big one busted a few branches off the tops of them. I can always use more firewood. Just gotta figure a safe way to cut them down without being underneath the big one.

Round 2 went to the tree. Fought with it for 4 hours and only moved it about 2 feet to the left. I'm now convinced I have to attack the problem from the other end.

How do you remotely drop a tree? The two that are holding it up are about 12" diameter and of no particular value. The big one busted a few branches off the tops of them. I can always use more firewood. Just gotta figure a safe way to cut them down without being underneath the big one.

I just slap wouldn't. I am sure it has been done, but I wouldn't chance it. Gravity and weight and forces involved, etc, just way too fast.

Closest I have done is chunk off of bottoms of the tree hung up, and got it small enough I was able to yank it back out of being hung up. Even that sucks and is chancy.

if i were you id just leave it. i have left tops and sometimes whole hung-up trees stuck in other trees many times. sometimes i leave them for a few years till they fall on their own, others never fall and eventually rot. remember, firewood is not a cheaper heating alternative if you tack on $15,000 in medical bills

Find a friend with a 3/4 ton 4x4 and just pull it out. I keep an old land cruiser (gypo skidder:laugh:) which will pull down big-assed hung trees. I hate leaving "booby traps" around my property. Nothing substantial to pull with? Keep nibbling the stem, you've already released most of the stored up torsional forces. Keep up the good fight!

Looks good so far. :)

I don't recommend cutting a tree that's supporting a hanger. You risk a pinch or barberchair. Things can go wrong fast.

Your situation is similar to a hanger I created last winter. Yours is a bigger tree but the situation is much the same. It was cut clean through but the tree it fell into was pushing back so hard that the butt was jammed into the stump.

Thankfully I have a 2-ton cable comealong. Always wondered if I'd need it one day. Wrapped a chain around an adjacent tree, another chain around the butt of the hanger and winched it off the stump. The butt pile-drove nearly 2 feet into the ground when it let loose.

I saw it slide down the stem of the supporting tree a bit. OK... if that's what it's gonna take. Made a relief cut below, about 4 feet from the ground and finished the cut from above. The log dropped and the tree slid down some more.

Continued this way, cutting 4-5-foot logs until the top slid down to where I could get to it. It almost stood up vertical.

You will have to pull the stump end up as well as back to get it out. Enough to get it started anyway. So that is how you will have to rig your line. Chained at butt, line goes to tree in sorta direction of pull, place block up that stem someplace, not real radical high but some ways up, then once moving that will continue to keep weight off that butt end and let it slide easier.

It will help to dig down at that buttend and make a ramp/slope as well, to help it get moving, maybe layer in some flat scrap board action so it doesn't dig in.

Or jack it up clear and put in some roller logs down near the butt, then let it back down on those logs, egyptian style!

If you are just pulling flat, it will want to dig in just way too much unless using a crawler I think....

I'm going to try and pull it sideways from the upper part of the tree. The bottom is free but so much weight makes it darn near impossible to move. I tried a 2x12 underneath it and it just splintered it.

is the a way to hook the chain up so it causes the tree to rotate as you pull it, hopefully causing it to roll off the other trees.

I'm going to try and pull it sideways from the upper part of the tree. The bottom is free but so much weight makes it darn near impossible to move. I tried a 2x12 underneath it and it just splintered it.

Well, that's a plan! Wish I was there to help, I love goofy challenges like this...

Latest posts

Back