i got a question about a low profile chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dh1984

Hard worker
Reaction score
can i take a put a bigger chain on a low profile bar? or can i up grade it to a bigger bar and chain? when it came with a low profile bar and chain any advice will be grateful

Shouln't be a problem. You can put a non low profile chain on your current bar as long as it's the same pitch and gauge as what your currently using.

If you want to change both the bar and chain to something bigger just be sure to match the same pitch as your using now and you'll be ok

ok i'll start looking for a new bar and chain. because this one i got on my poulan now the chain is wearin out way to much. i think i get about 5 or 6 trees cut down and cut up and the chain has missing teeth on it so i think its time to up grade to something alot better then what i got now. but i think the drive inks is a 62 low profile and the pitch is 3/8 and the gauge is 0.43

Last edited:
If your chain is missing teeth it's ready for the garbage. The size your using is common and wont be hard to replace. Try Bailey's - ( my second plug for Bailey's tonight :givebeer: )

Carlton & Woodlan Pro

I have Carlton .050" gauge N1C-BL on a 42 cc. Poulan Pro 260. It cuts better &
holds edge better than bumper strap chain I had on it.
.043" looks like N4C-BL. Carlton shows it as narrow kerf type.
These chains are semi-chisel with guard link.
Bailey's probably has the Woodland Pro version without bumper link
or guard link.
I would think running regular 3/8" pitch on a 42 cc might be asking
a lot from it. .325 NK might be an option, I have a 41 cc Husqvarna
435 that came that way. .325 would require different sprocket & bar
(nose sprocket) switching from 3/8" LP.

You can change it out to anything the saw will pull, but I am thinking the saw will not have enough power to pull 33RSC or 72LG if any are available to fit your saw.

The 325 sounds like good advice to me.

can i take a put a bigger chain on a low profile bar? or can i up grade it to a bigger bar and chain? when it came with a low profile bar and chain any advice will be grateful
I don't advise running a regular 3/8" chain on a low profile bar. It will not fit the nose sprocket correctly and may rub on the nose just like a hard nose bar.

Just replace it with a loop of Bailey's lo-pro. If you are loosing teeth, it's because you are cutting rocks and that's a no-no with any chain.

yeap i know about the rocks and dirt will dull the heck out of one. but they only thing i have cut with this saw is oak and sometimes i think it was frozen. but i'll go to bailey's and see if i can find a chain for it tho and maybe a combo bar and chain that will fit it.and thanks for all the advice i really thanksful for it

Last edited:
ok i took and contacted poulan and they told me this

(I am assuming the saw is the model PP4218 AV? If this is correct the saw has the 91VJP style chain. This is a low vibration round-ground chisel style chain.
You can replace this chain with a more aggressive style chain you will need a chain that is 3/8" pitch and .050" gauge with 62 links.
We do not offer this type chain but several aftermarket companies do. I recommend Oregon.)

so now i'm out on the look for a chain that is 3/8 0.50 and got 62 links 18 inch chain so can some one help me find one that like that

Last edited:

(I am assuming the saw is the model PP4218 AV? If this is correct the saw has the 91VJP style chain. This is a low vibration round-ground chisel style chain.
You can replace this chain with a more aggressive style chain you will need a chain that is 3/8" pitch and .050" gauge with 62 links.
We do not offer this type chain but several aftermarket companies do. I recommend Oregon.)

so now i'm out on the look for a chain that is 3/8 0.50 and got 62 links so can some one help me find one that like that

If it's a small saw go with .325 not 3/8

ok but it's an 18 inch with a 42cc engine poulan pro

Last edited:

so now i'm out on the look for a chain that is 3/8 0.50 and got 62 links 18 inch chain so can some one help me find one that like that
Oregon lo-pro semi chisel. Semi chisel is a little slower but stays sharp longer. Your have to specify the number of links when you order. http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=ORF+91VXL&catID=10225

Woodland Pro lo-pro full chisel, 62 link loop $12 http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=WPL+30LP62&catID=830

You can not switch between 3/8" and 3/8" lo-profile (assuming same gauge -- 0.050") without changing both the bar and drive sprocket. Even if the pitch is the same, the size and shape of the drive links must match the drive sprocket and the bar nose sprocket (if present -- hard nose bars and roller nose bars are pitchless). The lo-pro drive links are smaller. A mismatch between chain and sprocket will cause rapid wear and damage to the chain, the sprocket, and the bar.

You can not switch between 3/8" and 3/8" lo-profile (assuming same gauge -- 0.050") without changing both the bar and drive sprocket. Even if the pitch is the same, the size and shape of the drive links must match the drive sprocket and the bar nose sprocket (if present -- hard nose bars and roller nose bars are pitchless). The lo-pro drive links are smaller. A mismatch between chain and sprocket will cause rapid wear and damage to the chain, the sprocket, and the bar.
Galde, are you a lawyer ? You talk like one.:biggrinbounce2:

The OP said the saw had a low profile bar. That was my assumption when I linked him to lo-pro chain.

Lo-pro and regular 3/8 can use the same drive sprocket.

The nose sprocket is different though, and I'm pretty sure regular 3/8 would rub on the nose of a lo-pro bar. It would still work, but it would work like a hard nose bar, until the nose wore down enough for the sprocket to support the chain.

In any event, his saw would be underpowered with regular 3/8. Nothing wrong with a good quality, non-safety lo-pro chain.

Hey man Ya'll Stihl got that one stop light at the store there in town? I used to haul out of the mine over there. Been about 15 years since I was there and was just wondering.

First of all, an 18" 3/8 regular bar on a 42cc saw is pretty much a mis-match and a waste of time, effort and energy!

Second of all, mixed combinations of 3/8LP and 3/8 regular chains on 3/8LP and 3/8 regular bar-tip sprockets are non-compatible (eg wears like sh#t) even though they will rotate...

Third of all, I've never seen an 18" 3/8LP bar and I've never ever seen a 3/8LP swappable bar-tip and good luck on trying to get a 3/8LP rim sprocket...

Fourth of all, 3/8LP drive sprockets are 6-tooth(some rare 7 tooth) SPUR sprockets and 3/8 regular chain isn't a precise enough fit. Sure, it'll rotate, but again, both chain and sprocket wear like sh#t... Don't ask me how I know this... :cool:

I've never seen an 18" 3/8LP bar and I've never ever seen a 3/8LP swappable bar-tip and good luck on trying to get a 3/8LP rim sprocket...

Fourth of all, 3/8LP drive sprockets are 6-tooth(some rare 7 tooth) SPUR sprockets and 3/8 regular chain isn't a precise enough fit. Sure, it'll rotate, but again, both chain and sprocket wear like sh#t... Don't ask me how I know this... :cool:

The Homelite 240 & 245 had 18" LP bars. Ahlborn offers a 7-tooth rim sprocket system for the Poulan S25DA family. I think Calvin now offers The Forester line of products from Ahlborn Equipment.

91 on bottom of drive link= .050" gauge

If this # is stamped on the bottom of drive links; it is a Oregon .050"
LP chain. It can be replaced by Carlton N1C, N1C-BL or Woodland Pro 30LP.
Check this before buying. .043" looks like a narrow kerf LP chain.

Galde, are you a lawyer ? You talk like one.:biggrinbounce2:

The OP said the saw had a low profile bar. That was my assumption when I linked him to lo-pro chain.

Lo-pro and regular 3/8 can use the same drive sprocket.

The nose sprocket is different though, and I'm pretty sure regular 3/8 would rub on the nose of a lo-pro bar. It would still work, but it would work like a hard nose bar, until the nose wore down enough for the sprocket to support the chain.

In any event, his saw would be underpowered with regular 3/8. Nothing wrong with a good quality, non-safety lo-pro chain.

An examination of a lo-pro chain going around a standard 3/8 spur (or vice versa) will reveal the problems with mis-matching the drive sprocket and the chain. In the case of the bar nose sprocket, the standard 3/8 chain would be pushed out farther away from the nose rails since they are deeper than the lo-pro drive links.

I generally have a strong dislike for most attorneys. If I sound like one I can only apologize. I guess that is something I should work on.

Back