I got called a Firewood Bandit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should have bought them some beer and maybe they would not have thrown it in the ditch...They might have brought it right up to the splitter

You must be in SW Wisconsin. :)

Great score! Tell those fellas I can have cases of Mountain Dew here if they want to drop anything off. :)

Shari

Next time I am working in the area you can have it all. Is there anything in particular you don't want? (pine, willow, elm, for example) It is not to often that we work in that part of town but we get out there from time to time.

The trunks worth thousands of dollars are the veneer peelers. High price because trees that are 'peeler candidates' are rare.

About the only way to get that stuff milled would be to DIY or find someone with a mill. Unlikely any regular mill will take any tree from a city street or home lot due to probability of metal inclusions.

Harry K

:agree2:

Many people have a notion that just because something is black walnut it is worth a fortune. Veneer quality logs are very rare and I have heard that about mills not wanting "city wood".

Ron

wouldn't it make some nice lumber

Probably, but I am not a woodworker or have the ability to make lumber.

Dont cut it into firewood that walnut is beautiful wood .

Well leaving hunks of trunk weighing 1200 #s each in the front ditch which is part of my lawn would be a considerable traffic hazard if someone were to hit them on the slippery roads. (This is right near a Y in the road)

Thanks Wood Farmer and Lone Wolf.
I was going to ask that same question.
Black Walnut is one of the most sought after decorative furniture woods around.
One tree can go for tens of thousands of dollars at times.
If it was in good shape, I'd have the main trunk and larger straighter limbs milled to some form of slabs or boards for sure. Even the sawdust is valuable to furniture makers.
Wide slabs sure would make some fine table tops. It's heavy, hard wood.
I even saw a slab used as a work bench top once. Seemed like a waste when I saw that.

The reason the guys gave me the wood is simple. They are a proffessional tree service and they want the easiest, closest place to get rid of it. Sure the walnut could be worth some money. But they got about $900 to cut and dispose of the tree. The faster they get the job done, the faster they can get onto the next job.

BTW, it splits like buttah:chainsawguy: and I do all splitting with a maul.;)

Many people have a notion that just because something is black walnut it is worth a fortune. Veneer quality logs are very rare and I have heard that about mills not wanting "city wood".

Ron

The market report for my area lists walnut veneers going for $700-2000, specs vary with buyers, prime logs only. Sawlogs are Grade 1: $1055 Grade 2: $605 Grade 3: $375. Prices are MBF Doyle

Last edited:
This guy and his crew showed up at my house one time, and were about to cut down a tree. I said, "If you're from the tree service, where are your felling wedges?"

"Wedges?"

"We ain't got no wedges."

"We don't need no wedges!"

"I don't have to show you any STEENKIN' WEDGES!!"

attachment.php

Yup, SW Wisconsin right on the Mississippi river.:yoyo:

I'm in SW Wisconsin as well and I cross the Mississippi every day to go to work. I am close to La Crosse. Sounds like you could be in my back yard:cool: Send a PM and let me know where you are at.

Don't they just run trees through metal detectors now. Before they cut them to make sure they are clean.

Just cut it up for firewood, it's doubtful that it has much greater value than the price of firewood.

Most Black Walnut that grows in the northern part of it's natural range isn't worth much, most of the " very good" stuff comes from Missouri and south-east Iowa, although some "good" trees can be found along river bottoms and wet areas into northern Iowa. The majority of high-grade walnut grows in the warmer, wetter parts of it's range. Normally, only select parts of the tree are useful for gun stocks (such as around crotches), and it takes several years of seasoning and sorting first. Just before I moved into this house the previous resident sold the "good" trees to loggers. They came in and took 23 trees (leaving all the tops for me!)... Out of those 23 trees only one was a Black Walnut, they left all the other walnuts standing. I asked the Boss-man about it... he said that none of the other walnuts were any good... They took 21 Oak, 1 Hickory and 1 Black Walnut... There has to be at least a dozen big Walnuts and twice that many Oaks they weren't interested in.

Just cut it up for firewood, it's doubtful that it has much greater value than the price of firewood.

Most Black Walnut that grows in the northern part of it's natural range isn't worth much, most of the " very good" stuff comes from Missouri and south-east Iowa, although some "good" trees can be found along river bottoms and wet areas into northern Iowa. The majority of high-grade walnut grows in the warmer, wetter parts of it's range. Normally, only select parts of the tree are useful for gun stocks (such as around crotches), and it takes several years of seasoning and sorting first. Just before I moved into this house the previous resident sold the "good" trees to loggers. They came in and took 23 trees (leaving all the tops for me!)... Out of those 23 trees only one was a Black Walnut, they left all the other walnuts standing. I asked the Boss-man about it... he said that none of the other walnuts were any good... They took 21 Oak, 1 Hickory and 1 Black Walnut... There has to be at least a dozen big Walnuts and twice that many Oaks they weren't interested in.

I am a little surprised with the direction this thread has gone. I posted my story about what I figured was a good wood score with a little amusement, ("firewood bandit") and people are trying to tell me I should make lumber, gun stocks or god knows what on activities that not only am I not interested in but don't have the ability or machinery to accomplish. I don't tell anybody else what to do with their wood. If someone cuts a spruce, should I tell them to make it into an airplane like Howard Hughes and the Spruce Goose?:bang::angry:

A month ago I was in Iowa helping out a farmer friend where I hunt cutting wood for him. His son the year before spent a day hauling 3 walnut logs to that he thought were the mother lode of walnut. After beating up his trailer loading these things with great difficulty he drove over 65 miles round trip taking them to a mill. For 3 giant black walnut logs he got a grand total of $ 46. I told Dale, you are short of firewood and it would have been worth triple that in value in firewood.

BTW, I am cutting all winter on a buddies brother's farm that was just logged and this is all black walnut tops that are going into the stove and I will laugh when I chuck in every stick.

Ron, aka "the bandit":jester:

I am a little surprised with the direction this thread has gone. I posted my story about what I figured was a good wood score with a little amusement, ("firewood bandit") and people are trying to tell me I should make lumber, gun stocks or god knows what on activities that not only am I not interested in but don't have the ability or machinery to accomplish. I don't tell anybody else what to do with their wood. If someone cuts a spruce, should I tell them to make it into an airplane like Howard Hughes and the Spruce Goose?:bang::angry:

That's what makes these internet boards interesting. Different opinions. If the thread didin't take the turn it did, it would have died on page one. :cheers:

It takes all to make the world go round.

I have enjoyed reading over the speculation of what you "should" of done with the log. The fact is, you can do whatever you want, but it may have benefited some of us as to what others do or have done. If I had the opportunity to "make big $" with a log, I may be better informed by reading this thread. So thank you to those who have posted this information.

Just saying,
Marty

A month ago I was in Iowa helping out a farmer friend where I hunt cutting wood for him. His son the year before spent a day hauling 3 walnut logs to that he thought were the mother lode of walnut. After beating up his trailer loading these things with great difficulty he drove over 65 miles round trip taking them to a mill. For 3 giant black walnut logs he got a grand total of $ 46. I told Dale, you are short of firewood and it would have been worth triple that in value in firewood.

BTW, I am cutting all winter on a buddies brother's farm that was just logged and this is all black walnut tops that are going into the stove and I will laugh when I chuck in every stick.

Ron, aka "the bandit":jester:
That stinks, was he not in a position to refuse their offer and drive home?

I have 2 monster ash trees down that would be good canidates for slabs (40" and 44" dbh) and offered them up to a member here, but he doesn't pay for wood... Well the way I see it is that all hardwood at my place is worth $100/cord to me, as thats the cheapest I can get firewood logs delivered for.

He was also a couple hours away so it wasn't going to be easy for him to see what I had, so we decided that its not going to work out. So I still have my firewood and he still has his gas and time. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back