I hate climbing trees covered in vines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dusty_v141

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just want to rant a little and tell everyone how bad i hate climbing trees with vines all over them. These two mtreees im removing suck.

ok i feel a little better hope evryone has a great night!!!

its the first one i have ever climbed so i really didnt know. and i was climbing for about two minutes and told one of my groundies to go get mey clibind line. it made it easier but it still sucks lol. i hope you guys stay safe.

There will be a day when you look back at it and wish that every tree with vines you did was like that. It can be a whole lot worse. After all the ones I have done only 2 kinds I hope to never have to repeat. One being a sycamore covered in english ivy so bad it stuck out 2-3 feet from the trunk and so kindly hid a hornets nest. Second was a logging job where setting a line in each tree was not an option time wise concidering they where all 90' honey locusts and had to all be stripped out and the heads taken out of 12 for the day with some rigging involved. The poison ivy vines where 2-3" thick and after being cut leaked sap all over me giving me chemical burns but thankfully I am not allergic to it like most others.

like this one... I end up devining it, it took over 12 hours and their is still dead vines left on the main trunk. All the limbs are free of vines.

attachment.php

like this one... I end up devining it, it took over 12 hours and their is still dead vines left on the main trunk. All the limbs are free of vines.

attachment.php

Wow :jawdrop: Give us an "after" pic with leaves so we can see if it responded well. I would love to have a customer here willing to drop the $$$ for that much work.

mine is not that bad thank god. the owner told me they cut all the bottom vines last fall so is all daed but it still sucks lol. and i have to walk away from any tree with poison ivy, oak, or sumca on it highly alergic

Wow :jawdrop: Give us an "after" pic with leaves so we can see if it responded well. I would love to have a customer here willing to drop the $$$ for that much work.

its a sycamore and the last time I was in the tree cleaning vines was the end of last summer. I will get some pics this spring after it leaves out.

attachment.php

Ahh! So you ended up getting the job! That ivy compared to other ivy and vines is tough to remove. Use the Felcos? Man do you look small up there! You should have called me, we could have made it easier together but I am sure you were happy to do it alone. Did you at least get enough ivy off to be able to tell what kind of tree it is?
Just on the off-chance you get another job like that it is very much better to hit it with two climbers. One high, one low, both working on the same area.
Now tell us how much.

Last edited:
Ahh! So you ended up getting the job! That ivy compared to other ivy and vines is tough to remove. Use the Felcos? Man do you look small up there! You should have called me, we could have made it easier together but I am sure you were happy to do it alone. Did you at least get enough ivy off to be able to tell what kind of tree it is?
Just on the off-chance you get another job like that it is very much better to hit it with two climbers. One high, one low, both working on the same area.
Now tell us how much.

I had my boy Slice'N'dice'M' help with this one. We used felcos and handsaws.

Last edited:
Ahh! Now tell us how much.

My thought on the situation is like this:

I charge 10$ per foot to deboot palms, i would charge 10$ per foot, to remove vines!

Lets see how much he charged, vrs about how many feet of vines he removed.

If i guage he is about 5 foot tall i can estimate the amount.

No, it seems i would be charging out the wazoo for this, i would guess atleast 1200 bucks i would charge.

Last edited:
Back