I Hate Front Mounted Chain Tensioners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just saying.

Working on a neighbor's saw. Screw head is always covered with junk. Hard to reach. Hit the bar/chain with your hands. Hard to turn with a scrench so I gotta carry another tool.

Thank you Mr. Stihl, or Mr. Homelite, or Mr. Remmington, or whomever it was, that invented the side access tensioner.

Philbert

Probably designed by an engineer who never had to use a chainsaw. The side tensioner was clearly inspired design from people who had to live in the painful existence of front tensioners.

I wonder if you can retrofit a front mount (like say my 028 Super) to a side-adjust. I know 028s were made later on with side access tensioners... hmmmm

Probably designed by an engineer who never had to use a chainsaw. The side tensioner was clearly inspired design from people who had to live in the painful existence of front tensioners.

I wonder if you can retrofit a front mount (like say my 028 Super) to a side-adjust. I know 028s were made later on with side access tensioners... hmmmm

I believe you can i think there is a thread on here about it.

They made from mount chain tensioners so you could hang your Kleenex on them so you could dry the little tears you're crying!

:laugh:

Seriously, the can be a pain in the but sometimes.

Chris

If you're a collector of vintage saws, it's not as if one has a choice in tensioners and is therefore not worth crying about. Front tensioners are certainly a much less complicated arrangement, absent of worm gearing.

Chris B.

Front tensioners just plain suck. All there is to it. I'm not here to cry about it because it's not worth crying over, but I think most would agree that they are aggravating. :msp_thumbup:

394xp

I purchased a 394xp a couple of years back. It has a front tensioner...total PITA....on a pro saw.
I hope the new saws make this obsolete. Along with the tool-less tensioner. (Or make one that actually works in the real world.)

Could be no tensioners(adjusters) or the ill fated levers.

Perhaps what is required is an automatic setup based on the tension of the chain under load, similar to a self adjusting carb/injector? Remember when saws had the antique no moving parts gas and oil caps?

Ah the good old days when oil fill holes were the size of dimes and everybody got a free funnel with purchase of a new saw.

i hear it, i had to nearly remove the mill from my 076 today just to give a little tightening to my chain. on my husky 2100 i can just barely sneak in there to get at it with the mill still on, not without sore knuckles though.

Welcome to AS.

From Killeen here - except when I am in Iraq, like the next three months.

Hal

Just saying.

Working on a neighbor's saw. Screw head is always covered with junk. Hard to reach. Hit the bar/chain with your hands. Hard to turn with a scrench so I gotta carry another tool.

Thank you Mr. Stihl, or Mr. Homelite, or Mr. Remmington, or whomever it was, that invented the side access tensioner.

Philbert

You know what I hate. Those stupid ass flip top gas and oil caps that Stihl have started using. They suck hard core!

Front mounted tensioners can be a bit annoying but atleast they're tried and true. As for tool-less tensioners, whoever designed those is on mind altering drugs.

I don't really care between the two, the front ones don't seem to take any longer to adjust.

Mr. HE:cool:

Latest posts

Back