I hate thieves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr2autoxr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I had cut a 36in diameter hickory in the ditch in front of my house about 2 weeks ago. The snow in the ditch is thigh deep and I couldn't move these 6 or so pieces of the trunk that were 36in in diameter and 20in long.

So I had left them there until I could get my splitter down there when the snow was gone. Well I come home from work today and see that someone took all but one of these rounds!

I was pissed as it is still my property and I had obviously been the one who was cutting this up and with the rest of the tree already gone, why wouldn't I want this wood.

So someone was being burly and was swinging an axe for a while today splitting this wood and taking it. So when I got home I got the ATV and trailer out and was able to roll the last long onto the trailer, after a lot of swearing.

It is so green that it is a real bear to split, so this guy must have been working hard for this wood! Just sucks I did the cutting for him!

Sorry for the rant, but it sure frustrates me to loose that much wood because I didn't strain to split it while it was green and it sat for 2 weeks.

While delivering firewood to one of our campgrounds this last summer, we had a 30' trailer loaded with bundled wood. Which the camp hosts sell to the campers for a few bucks.

We had cut down about a hundred trees in the area, dead from beetles. Made most into firewood or table tops. Piles of dry "slash", waste branches.
Of which I would have helped him load up all he wanted. Instead....

This schmuck pulled up (to our trailer) and filled his pick up with the wood we had bundled/dried/split waiting to unload for sale.

We had an emergency and had to leave the trailer unattended for an hour or so.

My son, and I had also been removing problem beavers in the area that were damaging tables and camp trailers by dropping trees on them.
Trapping them in connibear traps. Instant death.

Long story short.....my son....takes about half a gallon of trapping scent over to the truck filled with wood stolen from our trailer....and dumps the scent all over the wood. Yote, fox and bobcat urine. The schmuck was in a group area, having a picnic and payed no fees for that either.

Pay back is a ##### some times........

I bet he could not enjoy his fireplace that winter....

Last edited:
It happened to me twice last year... Both times on my property, both times I wasn't home... Which is good for the thieves, cause I would have shot their balls off.:chainsaw:

I had cut a 36in diameter hickory in the ditch in front of my house about 2 weeks ago. The snow in the ditch is thigh deep and I couldn't move these 6 or so pieces of the trunk that were 36in in diameter and 20in long.

So I had left them there until I could get my splitter down there when the snow was gone. Well I come home from work today and see that someone took all but one of these rounds!

I was pissed as it is still my property and I had obviously been the one who was cutting this up and with the rest of the tree already gone, why wouldn't I want this wood.

So someone was being burly and was swinging an axe for a while today splitting this wood and taking it. So when I got home I got the ATV and trailer out and was able to roll the last long onto the trailer, after a lot of swearing.

It is so green that it is a real bear to split, so this guy must have been working hard for this wood! Just sucks I did the cutting for him!

Sorry for the rant, but it sure frustrates me to loose that much wood because I didn't strain to split it while it was green and it sat for 2 weeks.

Sounds like it would have been great wood for lumber vs firewood.

When we first moved here, our neighbor saw fit to take the choicest pieces of a tree that I"d cut up, and after work they were gone from our property, so I looked around, found them on his driveway, called him to return my wood that I"d worked to cut up and he did. He returned them, and they are still sitting 30' from the road, on the driveway, rotting, right where he left them. :chainsaw:

Last edited:
Many areas have a right-of-way, based on the center of road measuring 15, 20, 40' and that can encroach pretty far into a landowners property. That right of way is for utilities and related usage, it is not for civilians to pilfer fallen logs, free tresspass or any other grey area of trespass. The only thing a person can do in a similar situation is to mark the wood, set up a wildlife camera to watch the wood, and clean it up faster than the person who's need is greater than yours.

clean it up faster than the person who's need is greater than yours.

Man that really stinks!:angrysoapbox:
You shouldn't have to do that.

I would have to agree with wanting to shoot a thief, especialy after you cut it up for them!

Last edited:
I saw two trees cut up between the street & the sidewalk in our town. My wife called the city to see what the policy is & was told that any downed trees between the street & sidewalk is free for the taking. The city owns the trees & pays to have them taken down so the home owner has no say in the matter.

Many areas have a right-of-way, based on the center of road measuring 15, 20, 40' and that can encroach pretty far into a landowners property. That right of way is for utilities and related usage, it is not for civilians to pilfer fallen logs, free tresspass or any other grey area of trespass. The only thing a person can do in a similar situation is to mark the wood, set up a wildlife camera to watch the wood, and clean it up faster than the person who's need is greater than yours.

In Michigan the easement is 33' from centerline as a roadway.

If it was in a county Ditch, only the Road or drain commission and land owner would have legal access.

Somebody swiped it. No Road commission workers in this state would have worked that hard.

I hate thieves!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

In Michigan the easement is 33' from centerline as a roadway. Is that a universal measurement from town, township, villiage, city, county, state, federal roads?? In Wisconsin, that distance varies according to jurisdiction.

If it was in a county Ditch, only the Road or drain commission and land owner would have legal access.

Somebody swiped it. No Road commission workers in this state would have worked that hard. LOLOLOLOL...ain't that the truth.

I hate thieves!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

:cheers:

In my village any tree between the road and sidewalk goes to the person who lives there 1st and if they don't want it than it is free game. Speaking of which, I was out cutting this weekend and saw a bit of wood right around the corner from me on my way home. I stopped, asked the woman who lived there if I could take the wood. She said yes and than offered me a good 35" boxelder that was cut into cookies in her backyard. I realize boxelder isn't the greatest wood but I will get a lot of "free" wood out of this, less than 1/2 mile from my house AND I am helping out a family that otherwise couldn't easily get rid of the wood. Moral of the story, always ask first.

My father taught me when I was a little boy, NEVER cut any wood you don't intend to take when you leave, cause the next guy ain't gonna start cutting he's gonna take what you left him.:chainsaw:.............454

Stealing firewood.....

That really stinks, at least it wasnt split and seasoned. I had 2 people try to help themselves (that I know of) off my wood pile this year.

I don't know if this is true....My dad told me this years ago.

Some people were getting really tired of their wood pile being depleted by the neighbors. Well, a hole was drilled into the end of one of the pieces of wood and a stick of something was put into the hole........

Someone sounded off with a big boom......

That's all I got to say about that!

Dan

My son, and I had also been removing beavers in the area that were damaging tables by dropping trees on them.

That sounds like a cruel way to remove a beaver, drop a tree on them? Why didnt you just trap them? LOL. Seriously, though, I had to read that a couple times to understand what you meant.

if they leave the doors or windows open........

While delivering firewood to one of our campgrounds this last summer, we had a 30' trailer loaded with bundled wood. Which the camp hosts sell to the campers for a few bucks.

We had cut down about a hundred trees in the area, dead from beetles. Made most into firewood or table tops. Piles of dry "slash", waste branches.
Of which I would have helped him load up all he wanted. Instead....

This schmuck pulled up (to our trailer) and filled his pick up with the wood we had bundled/dried/split waiting to unload for sale.

We had an emergency and had to leave the trailer unattended for an hour or so.

My son, and I had also been removing problem beavers in the area that were damaging tables and camp trailers by dropping trees on them.
Trapping them in connibear traps. Instant death.

Long story short.....my son....takes about half a gallon of trapping scent over to the truck filled with wood stolen from our trailer....and dumps the scent all over the wood. Yote, fox and bobcat urine. The schmuck was in a group area, having a picnic and payed no fees for that either.

Pay back is a ##### some times........

I bet he could not enjoy his fireplace that winter....

i like to squirt a dose of critter urine down the dash and defrost vents.

I don't know if this is true....My dad told me this years ago.

Some people were getting really tired of their wood pile being depleted by the neighbors. Well, a hole was drilled into the end of one of the pieces of wood and a stick of something was put into the hole........

Someone sounded off with a big boom......

That's all I got to say about that!

Dan

All I have to say is...

Instant Judgement!

Hate to do things like that, but there are dirt bags out there and they need to be taught a lesson!:jawdrop:

wdchuck, as far as I know, township roads in WI are 33' from the centerline, and county highways are 50'. I'm not sure about State, Federal highways or rules inside a village/city.

I do know that "here" in my township anyway, and trees removed from the right of way are offered to the landowner first. Now if the township would just get here and drop the 2 dead ones I have leaning over the road before I get too tempted to see if I could drop one on a car ... :chainsaw:

It's a dam shame that people will steal wood. I've had it happen to me too. A friend of mine put up a sign that said "If you value your life as much as I do my wood, don't touch it".

It does suck and it did piss me off. Oh well guess I'll have to find some more wood.

But I do live out in the country on a county road and the tree was a good 20 or so feet from the road.

We'll see if they will be really brave and start a chainsaw up to cut the remainder of the trunk that is left (about 6 feet). I plan to do this once the snow melts and I can remove the wood easier. Hopefully nobody else beats me to it!:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back