I hate thieves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a good'n fer ya. 5 or so yrs ago, I cut an Elm and Hickory and left the rounds sit till I was ready to retrieve. This was about 30 yards from my garden and oh, 50 yards from my house. I own a 200 acre farm. Well I was sitting at my fire-ring having a beer one summers late afternoon, and a pickup truck rumbles down the road, and stops in front of th rounds. A wirey kid in his 20's gets out, no shirt on, and starts throwing the rounds in his bed. At this, I saunter on down and ask what he's doin. He said he didn't think anybody owned it. :jawdrop: YEAH RIGHT.

Sorry about you getting ripped off.
For this reason my woodpile is guarded by my 180 .lb security guy "Thor" :D
IMG_0490.jpg

Thor like raw Moose meat ? Worth maybe a 1/2 pound to get me some of that oak :jester::jester::jester:
PM your coordinates.:givebeer:

Or like I said earlier, dogfood. When you have a 120 lb dog you go through dogfood pretty fast. And since it's out of season to be shootin deer...

I live in a rural area but the thieves make their way out here now thanks to the Meth problem. Luckily we still have some sheriff deputy's that "understand". Most of the farmers here take it REAL personal when something they've worked hard for gets swiped.

One of the best ones I remember was a dairy farmer freind of ours who woke up to the sound of his dogs barking. They are well trained and don't bark at just anything so he got his boy and brother up and ran to the barn where they found the guy pushing their ATV out of the barn. Some background on these guys, all over 6'2" and the brother played semi pro hockey! Nuff said ? ;) They pushed the guy out to the feedlot and played pin ball with him for 15 minutes till he told his wife to call the cops which took about a 1/2 hour, where he was taught why not to come back.

When the cop finally came the guy was sitting in the feedlot which was 3 inches of " soup cow exhaust." He ask the thief if there was a problem. Guy told what had happened and ask the farmer and he reply that he tried to get away ;)
Cop said no problem and farmer asked if he wanted him to hose him off before putting him in the car. Cop said no because they make the prisoner clean the car when THEY dirty it up. Justice!

An old high school bud of mine is now a deputy and his speech to criminals who come out here is as follows:

Farmers work hard for what they have and if you don't respect their property they aren't going to respect you. Nearly everyone of them has access to a backhoe and dig on the hundreds of acres they own and we never question when/where they do it. If you come up missing from a "run" we'd never be able to find you and quite frankly I don't want to waste my time. Seems to get the point across better than a hand slap.

Folks and tree people in these parts typically leave logs for the taking on the edge of the road. Typically the last sevaral feet (12' in my locality) near the road belongs to the township and you are given an easement.

So if your ditch is right beside the road and you left it there that would be like saying 'free wood' around here.

Maybe not. I own to the center of the twp road in front of my house, but the twp has an easement across my property for the road.

Regardless of the easment that some cities or counties observe, I have always pulled up to the house in question and asked. For me, its not worth the embarrasement to start loading wood that looks like it is unclaimed just to be accosted by an angry homeowner.
Firewood just aint worth it.

had a guy 2 years ago try to steal some wood from me. i had to cut a right away along the rd for 5 hydro poles to get power up the rd to the house. The day before he stole it, me and few buddies where felling trees and cutting them into firewood then throwing it into the ditch then i would get it after with the tractor.

well the day after i left to go to town and i guess some guy drove his truck up parked along the rd and help himself, well he was loading his truck my neighbour was driving down the rd and caught him, he made the guy throw the whole load of wood off his truck back in the ditch.

After that i never left friewood laying around

Back