I have a Stump Grinding Question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter101

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
How many of you just grind stumps and nothing else? Just trying to get some input to see what I need to do.

I do mostly just stumps. What do you want to know?[
I do mostly just stumps. What do you want to know?
Well I am 51yrs, I work a full time job and take care of over 25 lawns. Thinking about easing off on my lawns because I am starting to feel the aches and pains, Trying to think of 5 yrs down the road. Would like to do Stump Grinding, This is going to sound crazy, not trying to make a living but just something to keep me busy and a reason to get out of the house. Just trying to see if I could make it pay for it self, I do not need the money. It is more mental therapy. I have to stay busy or I will go crazy. And no I don't believe in low balling. Just doing some research to see if I can make this work. Just need it to support itself.

I would suggest you try and hook up with someone who already is in the grinding business. At least to try it out and see if you like the work. You're going to be making at least a $25k investment (unless you buy a tired machine, in which case you will be doing a lot of wrenching), so you should see if you like the work first.
Watching a lot of stumping guys from the southern states on this board, it appears prices are VERY low. Many on here don't understand how anybody is making any money.

There are easier and more fun ways to keep yourself busy. I started climbing at 51.

I have a smaller, walk-behind stump cutter (Carlton SP-2000) that I bought used for about $3000 and it has about paid for itself, in a single season. It will get into some places the bigger machines won't, but it can take more than two hours to cut a big stump out. I'm 60 and I can still handle the machine alright, but it does tire you out after awhile. The hydraulically operated ones with a remote control, of course, are a whole lot less physically demanding... but the price for those is higher than giraffe poontang.

You going to do cleanup on the stump grinding? You will be feeling the aches and pains especially if you don't do it all the time.
well
You going to do cleanup on the stump grinding? You will be feeling the aches and pains especially if you don't do it all the time.
Well I still take care of over 25 yards with a full time job so I am not dead just yet. But no, I wasn't planning on doing cleanups.

I am just shooting for the machine to pay for itself.
Well you have existing clients right ? If there is a need and competition is not too brutal I don't see it being to much problem doing that and should triple its money in the long haul with maintenance. Can you repair things ? Weld etc. I have saved a small fortune doing my own repairs!

Well you have existing clients right ? If there is a need and competition is not too brutal I don't see it being to much problem doing that and should triple its money in the long haul with maintenance. Can you repair things ? Weld etc. I have saved a small fortune doing my own repairs!
I do all of my own repairs, work in a machine shop that is a bonus. We do repair work for a lot of the paper mills in the south including Arkansas.

Anyone in the southern states just grind ( Ms, Ark, Tenn, Ala, Ga, La) . Is it worth your time?
I live in alabama. I have been grinding stumps for about 13 years. I have a full time job and do this as a side job. I have done good over the years grinding. Not a living but good extra money. I traded this year for a new grinder with remote (carlton 5014). This has helped with some of my back problems and helped get me out of the dust. I do not do clean up. With all that being said, it has been worth it.

I live in alabama. I have been grinding stumps for about 13 years. I have a full time job and do this as a side job. I have done good over the years grinding. Not a living but good extra money. I traded this year for a new grinder with remote (carlton 5014). This has helped with some of my back problems and helped get me out of the dust. I do not do clean up. With all that being said, it has been worth it.

What part of Alabama?

Northwest corner. About 25 miles from Mississippi
How long have you had the 5014, do you like it and what did you get on it. That is what I am leaning toward so far, but still looking. It is good to hear that you are doing well with it. Gives me a little hope.

Latest posts

Back