I have an ash tree crisis!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a maple tree fall on his power line a few weeks ago and take out a pole so he says. It was all standing when I left for work..but anyways the power company spliced the line and i cleaned up the tree and cleared all newer trees along his line. He replaced the pole and didn't cut any of the branches above it before he replaced the pole. I said something and they laughed about it. I can only do so much. I would have trimmed the tree if I wasn't at work.
Your neighbor and mine would get along great......

This is highly dependent on many factors, my neighbors tree fell and took out a section of my roof. He had been served legal notice that the tree needed removed, as it was a danger to adjoining property from my lawyer and the township.(multiple letters from the township code enforcement officer) When it fell, even with (what I thought) proper procedure in place so I was covered, my home owners insurance still had to foot the bill. Needless to say I was not happy, as I had offered (at my expense) to have the tree removed before this happened. From what I was told this is normal practice. Guess I could have sued him in civil court, but didnt have the time or money for that.

Sorry for your sad experience, but the law is not the same in every state. I am just recommending to Mustang71 that he check the law in his state as he may be at risk of being liable to his neighbor and check on his insurance as he may have an insurance coverage issue if one falls on someone or their property or even his own house.

Ron

Neighbor's and trees get tricky. Been about 20 years ago on one of our farms about 15 miles from our home place we had a neighbor that would never let me clean out the fence line between him and me. When we bought the farm it was a mess and we cleaned it up and all the other fence lines had been cleaned up but not this one as I needed to get on his side of the fence to do it right when the crops were out and he said no way. Then it happen one of his trees fell on the fence and my cows got out and did a fair amount of damage to his crops. My insurance said they weren't paying as it was his tree so his insurance sued me. So my lawyer took pictures of the rest of my farm and fences and showed the judge how we take care of our trees and fences and had pictures of the fence line on his side and how big of mess it was. We won the case. About five years later the old guy passed away so we went to the funeral and around here there is always a lunch after the funeral. I was sitting there with my wife eating and his wife came up to me and said when ever you want to clean that fence line between you and me I will pay half to have it clean up and the fence replaced I almost lost my lunch. Later that year I bought that 80 from her so then we owned the whole section.

I feel you! I had 84 or 85 ash trees on my property when I moved in and all have been declining. This year they seemed to take a big hit and I had an arborist come inspect them. I had already taken one down, 4 we're good candidates for EAB treatment and the rest have to come down. I've taken down 3 more and will keep plugging away as time permits. On the plus side, it gave me the excuse to buy a new saw and rope puller. On the negative side I'm losing so many trees, including one of the ones I use to hange a hammock from. When all is said and done, I replant some trees, but not as many, and a few species for variety, including some more fruit trees.
I've given some wood away already, may sell some, but I'm going to split and stack it. Im looking into getting a wood stove for my garage, and maybe hiring a local milk or trying chainsaw milking to create something out of the trees.

848dee7225e25571c55a649a4f205082.jpg

5d1423243ea3ad03b05ae4d4f05eacd9.jpg

Well today my neighbor cut about 20 of my trees along his line. I was over there for a bit and he almost killed himself twice with in 45 minutes. The guy is crazy and his family was telling me they are surprised he hasn't killed himself yet. He has a small stihl saw and an old ford back hoe that reached about 10 feet. He makes the downward angle cut into the tree also. At one point he rammed a tree with his tractor that was falling towards him to push it the other way and he got lucky. My anxiety is through the roof watching this guy. He said he's taking the wood and cleaning it up tomorrow. So good for him lol.

Sorry for your sad experience, but the law is not the same in every state. I am just recommending to Mustang71 that he check the law in his state as he may be at risk of being liable to his neighbor and check on his insurance as he may have an insurance coverage issue if one falls on someone or their property or even his own house.

Ron

Cheers mate, just sharing my experience.

Well today my neighbor cut about 20 of my trees along his line. I was over there for a bit and he almost killed himself twice with in 45 minutes. The guy is crazy and his family was telling me they are surprised he hasn't killed himself yet. He has a small stihl saw and an old ford back hoe that reached about 10 feet. He makes the downward angle cut into the tree also. At one point he rammed a tree with his tractor that was falling towards him to push it the other way and he got lucky. My anxiety is through the roof watching this guy. He said he's taking the wood and cleaning it up tomorrow. So good for him lol.

That's unfortunate. These are definitely the type to get hurt or even killed. Steer clear.

That's unfortunate. These are definitely the type to get hurt or even killed. Steer clear.

Yea its scary. Im very cautious and make sure I have a good handle on the situation before I start cutting and would still be laughed at by a professional tree guy. This guy should be in the what not to do safety video. But hey he got them down and pretty fast. It would have taken me 3 times as long. He had help and almost killed a few people and I work alone but still he got the job done lol. My wife said "im never nervous when you cut trees but he was scaring me cutting that close to our house."

The logger I called a couple weeks ago came over Friday night and said he's not interested in the wood but he gets 200$ an hour and could take everything down i needed down in 4 hours. So today he got here at 7 and was done by 810. My neighbor came over and made a big deal about more of my ash trees along his power line so I had the guy cut them down. So for 300 dollars my house is pretty much safe from ash trees. He dropped about 30 large ash trees flawlessly. He had 3 wedges, an x17, and a husky 390. Now i have a ton of wood to address.

can't explain how many trees I need to take down. Ive taken down over 100 trees. I had the local tree company here today for the second time this summer. Im still waiting on asplunda to take down trees near the power lines that i haven't taken down. Im like 5 years out on fire wood. Then I've had a few other non ash trees fall down due to ants. I offered the tree company more money to cut more trees and they said they were to busy. I have at least 50 more 70 plus feet tall ash trees to cut. Did I mention that they are all within falling distance of my house? I'm in ash tree hell. How do you store 10 years worth of fire wood? I bought the house in the woods in the country for the privacy and awesomeness with the hope of a few cords of fire wood a year. I used to love chainsaws and tree cutting. Now i really hate trees...lol
if you have to much wood you coul;d bring it to my place inpa hard woods only no pine

if you have to much wood you coul;d bring it to my place inpa hard woods only no pine
I'd burn pine, nothing wrong with it. I bought my 5 acres with the intent to cut fire wood the rest of my life and make my own awesome heat. Not the type of heat I install in houses every day but that always warm wood heat. Never did I think I'd have 5 years cut and then 5 more years on the ground in tree form. I will put all my energy into getting it off the ground and out of the woods to save it. There is to much work involved in fire wood to give it away. If i get some time I may cut some tops and sell them or they will heat the house about mid winter who knows.

The logger I called a couple weeks ago came over Friday night and said he's not interested in the wood but he gets 200$ an hour and could take everything down i needed down in 4 hours. So today he got here at 7 and was done by 810. My neighbor came over and made a big deal about more of my ash trees along his power line so I had the guy cut them down. So for 300 dollars my house is pretty much safe from ash trees. He dropped about 30 large ash trees flawlessly. He had 3 wedges, an x17, and a husky 390. Now i have a ton of wood to address.
GTG!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

there was a safety issue out warning climber NOT to climb ash trees because after the beetles damaged them the limbs were too brittle.

i had to drop 27 at my former house to sell it. I tied a rope up as high as i could get it and used a come along to pull them over so as to not drop them into any neighbors yards. gotta say, each one fell exactly where i wanted it.

We had to take down over 130 at a golf course i worked at. The owner did push a few of them with a bucket while some one cut...what a mess...guess they didn't believe in cutting a notch...every tree he did left a huge spike. The others we notched and dropped, then i picked the whole tree up with a front loader and dropped them into a huge pile. The outside people who wanted firewood had them gone in three weeks!

there was a safety issue out warning climber NOT to climb ash trees because after the beetles damaged them the limbs were too brittle.

i had to drop 27 at my former house to sell it. I tied a rope up as high as i could get it and used a come along to pull them over so as to not drop them into any neighbors yards. gotta say, each one fell exactly where i wanted it.

We had to take down over 130 at a golf course i worked at. The owner did push a few of them with a bucket while some one cut...what a mess...guess they didn't believe in cutting a notch...every tree he did left a huge spike. The others we notched and dropped, then i picked the whole tree up with a front loader and dropped them into a huge pile. The outside people who wanted firewood had them gone in three weeks!

I've had great success pulling them in a general direction and notching and back cutting in the exact direction I want. Like I set them on top of eachother. There's a lot to think about when pulling and cutting them though and its not super quick like some guys want it to be.

Back