I have an idea on how to get rid of coals faster. What you think?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
40jYSPYxiAZiceuEgZa1Adpl5Rn25I35_lg.jpg

Yes the house is cooling while I'm trying to burn coals. Yesterday I shoveled coals into a metal bucket with some ash in the bottom. I did it quickly and put a lid on it and took it outside asap and placed on the snow. I need air sooner or more air later.
If you have an air tight can/lid, the can of coals can stay in the house. You don't loose all of the heat and when the coals cool they can be saved for BBQ next summer.
The grate is removed for ash removal, I use a similar ploy in one of my ladies stove. Next summer the front portion of the floor will be cut away and an ash box with a door and a draft control will be welded to the bottom.

I hate to say it, but I think your best bet is to load a little less wood and open the air a little more, to burn the coals down. For example, add a small amount of wood and open up the air when you get home from work, which should give you fewer coals and a warm house when you load at bedtime. Every stove/furnace is different, so you will have to play with it to figure out what is best, I think.

What you need is a grate.
...Next summer the front portion of the floor will be cut away and an ash box with a door and a draft control will be welded to the bottom.
I've owned my first, last, and only firebox without a coal grate and primary air being directly fed under it.
No air under the fire, especially a bed of coals, is flat ridiculous... plain stupid really.

I've owned my first, last, and only firebox without a coal grate and primary air being directly fed under it.
No air under the fire, especially a bed of coals, is flat ridiculous... plain stupid really.
Move on along then. I like burning about 2/3 face cord a week in sub zero weather.

If something doesn't work as I want, I change it or get rid of it. Adding a grate and ash box under the stove doesn't change the way it works when the draft in it is closed, it just adds another level of control when it is needed.

If something doesn't work as I want, I change it or get rid of it. Adding a grate and ash box under the stove doesn't change the way it works when the draft in it is closed, it just adds another level of control when it is needed.
With the quadra fire this wouldn't be that hard. There already is a hole in the bottom center for an ash door. Would need to build a new air tight ash box with a air control and then replace the trap door with a grate, would work fairly well I think.

I'm readin down through here and I see this, I thought "Uh oh" :rolleyes:

Then I see this and I thought "this is gotta be eatin him alive" :innocent:

Then this one..."oh man, he's about to pop!" :yes:

And then...there it is! :crazy2:
I've owned my first,
And it took almost all day, I would have lost that bet! :laughing: Spidey must LIVE for January when over and over again, these new fangled stoves are provin him right! :happybanana:

With the quadra fire this wouldn't be that hard. There already is a hole in the bottom center for an ash door. Would need to build a new air tight ash box with a air control and then replace the trap door with a grate, would work fairly well I think.
Wow man we do think alike. I was going to make a sealed box under mine this past summer. Never got around to it.

Face cord = local measurement of wood volume in the Northeast. 32sf pile of whatever length. Face cord of 48" wood = 1 regular cord, face cord of 16" wood = 1/3 regular cord.

Latest posts

Back