I just got a tach.WOW!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
madman39

madman39

ArboristSite Operative
I just got my tach in this morning and "WOW" what a differance it makes. I got the fast tach from edge&engine and I really like it! I went threw my saws and retuned them all. I got my 84cc big bore makita at 12,400 which I think is ok until breakin. I then tested my new 6401 with a new p/c and it tested at 13,000 which was good, but I turned it down to 12,100 for breakin also. My little ryobi was topping out at 11,500 so I turned it up to 13,100. My little woodshark was at 12,000 soo I turned it up to 13,400. I think all my saws will be running better, and I will have fun playing with them! What a geat little tool to have! :clap:

StihlyinEly

StihlyinEly

Addicted to ArboristSite
I just got my tach in this morning and "WOW" what a differance it makes. I got the fast tach from edge&engine and I really like it! I went threw my saws and retuned them all. I got my 84cc big bore makita at 12,400 which I think is ok until breakin. I then tested my new 6401 with a new p/c and it tested at 13,000 which was good, but I turned it down to 12,100 for breakin also. My little ryobi was topping out at 11,500 so I turned it up to 13,100. My little woodshark was at 12,000 soo I turned it up to 13,400. I think all my saws will be running better, and I will have fun playing with them! What a geat little tool to have! :clap:

Sweet! I'm about to pull the trigger on one, as well.

Here's a question for the modding/tuning pros. I kind of asked this on another thread and it sort of got answered, but not really.

After a muff mod and/or porting, is a tach worth using? Do you retune to factory RPM specs at WOT on a modded saw or just go by ear and do the 4-stroking thing under no load with 4-stroking disappearing in the wood.

And, as importantly, why?

Two of my saws are modded (and tuned by ear), and two are not.

7sleeper

7sleeper

Addicted to ArboristSite

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

I don't have one!

rayIN

rayIN

ArboristSite Member
Sweet! I'm about to pull the trigger on one, as well.

Here's a question for the modding/tuning pros. I kind of asked this on another thread and it sort of got answered, but not really.

After a muff mod and/or porting, is a tach worth using? Do you retune to factory RPM specs at WOT on a modded saw or just go by ear and do the 4-stroking thing under no load with 4-stroking disappearing in the wood.

And, as importantly, why?

Two of my saws are modded (and tuned by ear), and two are not.

I tached my saws that I tuned by ear as you described. I found them to be really close - except for one that is rev limited, so I just run it rich

Billy Jack

Billy Jack

ArboristSite Guru
I've got one too. Great tool, but it's still good to know the four-stroking sound when you hear it.

On your modded saws, that four-stroking sound is even more important as you are likely in rpm territory the saw was not designed for in stock form. I always tend to run them a little rich.

tdi-rick

tdi-rick

Addicted to ArboristSite