i know i might regret this post

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o8f150

Tree Freak
Reaction score
more and more i am liking the stihl line and i know this isn't chainsaws but i am looking to get another weedeater this spring. I checked the stihls and compared to something close to echo's line. the specs straight from the websight. I am looking more towards the stihl line now for everything. I know i am converting now after all the advice from everyone and my researching. Seems like echo is way over priced for what it is now. A few years ago they where reasonably priced but now they are just as much or more then stihl. Ok you guys can say " I TOLD YOU SO". but come on no dang bashing or nasty name calling like the last thread i started. Here is what i found,,the stihl has a bigger engine and weights 2 pds lighter and is cheaper. Here is the specs for both of them.
stihl
DSRP: $339.95
Distributor Suggested Retail Price
Standard Features

■Powered by a low-emission engine
■Quick, smooth acceleration
■TapAction™, 2-line AUTOCUT® head
■Lower vibration for comfortable operation
■Gearbox and guard design reduce the weight and improve comfort and maneuverability
FS 100 RX Trimmer Specifications
DISPLACEMENT 31.4 cc (1.9 cu. in.)
ENGINE POWER 1.05 kW (1.4 bhp)
WEIGHT* 4.7 kg (10.4 lbs.)
FUEL CAPACITY 530 cc (18 oz.)
*Weight without cutting attachment or deflector.

echo
PRICE: $389.99 QTY
FEATURES:

■28.1 cc Power Boost Vortex engine
■50% more torque than the SRM-280
■Extra heavy-duty engine vibration reduction mount and rubber over-mold handles
■Commercial-grade felt air filtration
■59", 4-layer flex cable
■ECHOmatic trimmer head
SPECIFICATIONS:
Engine Displacement (cc) 28.1
Carburetor (w/Purge Pump) Rotary-Valve Diaphragm
Fuel Capacity (fl. oz.) 21.6
Shaft Length (in) 59
Shaft Type Straight
Starting System Standard
Cutting Head ECHOmatic™
Cutting Swath (in) 17
Shield Std. SRM
Drive Shaft 4-Layer Cable
Nylon Line (in dia) .095 Cross-Fire®
Dry Weight (lb)* 13.5
Dry Weight (lb)** 12.2

spend a little more and get the Stihl 110 four mix trimmer. Best piece of grass killing equipment I've ever owned

I use Roundup (glyphosphate)

I dislike using trimmers, I have an Echo, a Stihl & a Weedeater, use them at times, but usually trim with the sprayer in summertime.

I dislike using trimmers, I have an Echo, a Stihl & a Weedeater, use them at times, but usually trim with the sprayer in summertime.

i do that here at the house but i can't do that at the peoples houses i cut for. I have 8 yards i cut for extra money

I always liked the older Echo trimmers. Tough as nails, and good performers. Not as impressed with the modern ones, for the same reason you mentioned (features for the money).

This spring I'll be replacing my ancient Shindaiwa-built Stihl FS80AV brushcutter and Echo string trimmer with a Stihl FS110, or maybe an FS250 if my financial situation improves...

I have a FS 110 R 4 mix trimmer. I worked it hard last winter with carbide tipped brush cutter blades to cut around 800 bamboo stumps. (Maybe they're not really stumps, but I don't what else to call them.) After the stumps were gone I used a three blade steel brush knife every week or so to manage the regrowth. My FS have never missed a beat, and the only maintenance has been one plug change and greasing the angle gear box.

The only advantage of the FS 110 RX (10.4 lbs) over the FS110 R (12.1 lbs) is lighter weight. The 110 RX can only be used as a string trimmer. The 110 R can use brush cutter blades.

I chose the 4 Mix due to a lower pitched four cycle engine exhaust note which I find less annoying than a two cycle engine pitch. It also seems to sip rather than gulp fuel.

If you do get any of the Stihl string trimmers you may not like the string head. According to the folks at www.************ many Stihl trimmer owners swap out the bump feed head for the Shindaiwa/Oregon bump head.

After owning my FS 110 R I kind of which Stihl made chain saws with 4 mix engines.

Nothing wrong with changing your mind! I consider it an act of good character. I own the FS45, which is Stihl's bottom line. I've had a few minor running issues with it, but otherwise it's held up just fine.

Buy the 110 R and never look back, the four mix is the best string trimmer I have, I've got 3 FS 80's and a 90R, my next new one will be the 110R.
I've run a four mix for four years, starts first pull, has torque out the azz, you can idle it and do want the echo does wide open. You can add multiple attachments to the 110, a pole saw, blower, sweeper, mini-tiller, etc.
Your on the right track, you have seen the great orange light!

I always liked the older Echo trimmers. Tough as nails, and good performers. Not as impressed with the modern ones, for the same reason you mentioned (features for the money).

This spring I'll be replacing my ancient Shindaiwa-built Stihl FS80AV brushcutter and Echo string trimmer with a Stihl FS110, or maybe an FS250 if my financial situation improves...

Ok

Let me get this straight...

You are looking into getting something modern:D

You know once you run some modern equiptment you will realize all you have been missing for all these years :ices_rofl:

Back