i know i might regret this post

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the 4 mix Stihls have TORQUE baby! All the other wee little two stroke trimmers need to buzz at high revs to cut stuff. The valved 4 mix gives you power at low rpms so you can trim at part throttle without throwing rocks at windows or scattering bedding mulch all over the neighborhood. They just work really well. Excellent design

the 4 mix Stihls have TORQUE baby! All the other wee little two stroke trimmers need to buzz at high revs to cut stuff. The valved 4 mix gives you power at low rpms so you can trim at part throttle without throwing rocks at windows or scattering bedding mulch all over the neighborhood. They just work really well. Excellent design

I 100% agree with that! :cheers:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m2V2f4EbW1g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m2V2f4EbW1g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I got 1.2, 1.35 and 1.1 on the first three swipes. Loose that bike handle and it might pick up a few tenth's.

If it wasn't for 'vintage' chainsaws, well I wouldn't be into chainsaws anymore at all. Working on them for a paycheck ruined that angle for me. Modern chainsaws are just tools (like modern brushcutters and weedwackers). I have no enthusiam for modern cars, although I commute with one. The 'vintage' rides are for fun............just like the chainsaws. Haven't I 'splained all this before Ross?:cheers:

I guess the same attitude from my grandpa. Everything he did on the farm, he did with the John Deere A. I got old/strong enough to turn the flywheel and get her going at exactly the same time he got too old to turn her over. I always enjoyed working with that and the Case 830 much more than the shiny Case-International with the air-conditioned cab. What I enjoyed most was standing on the axle while grandpa worked the field with that old Johnny popper.

My uncle is selling the farm, and if I lived closer, I'd find a way to own both of them.

Personally, I'm glad there are people that prefer to run new saws. Makes the older ones more available!

Now all I need is time to work on them. Maybe once the Christmas gifts are done...

"4 years ago I bought an echo srm230 and have been using it 3 to 5 days a week from mid February to mid November each year and haven't had to do a thing to it but replace the plug and filters so my answer is buy the echo..."

+1

Bought mine around 2004, flawless performance and haven't replaced a single part on it to date. My yard is apprx 3 acres, with our shop and house on it, but I left most of the trees so LOTS of trimming to be done and very little mowing.

I also bought their leaf blower, and garden tiller at the same time. Based on actually using this stuff a LOT, nothing out there is going to run better or last longer in small equipment than the Echo stuff....IMHO...Cliff

The the only piece of power equipment I ever threw away was a Stihl FS 60 string trimmer. It was a re-branded Japan POS. I would look at Redmax.
ZG

I just got off my new Honda 4 stroka brush cutter. Just great makes the job a pleasure, perhaps consider.
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/Trimmers/

I have zero experince with that engine or Honda brushcutters in general. Baileys carries them for a good price, so I have been considering one instead of the FS110. Thanks for the input.

I have the FS 200 with the brush knife & it cops a lot of abuse keeping the walking tracks open on my 2 properties. It constantly has to cut its way through the trunks of small shrubs & I keep expecting to break the shaft but it keeps on going.
Even shattered the blade when I hit a rock & still did not break the shaft!

Probably a bigger model than you want to purchase but if the FS100 is half as good as my FS200 then I reckon go for it.

I don't think the FS200 has ever been available here in the US, unless it was years ago. That's similar to an FS250 isn't it?

Out in the shed now and I forget the model number, but I picked up a tanaka pro grade for around half this price you are looking at a few years ago and it is a beast. Starts with one *slow* pull, no foolin' a slow pull. Runs .095 titanium core like a dream, or they have a circular saw blade attachment for like little saplings.

When I was shopping for one I went to the mechanic at the shop, not the sales droid, said which model here comes in the least..he showed one that had twice as big a gear knuckle as their other ones. If you want the real model number I can look tomorrow, but that was really the clue, the wrench said "look, these gears here are twice as large, they just don't break and all the engines are great, so get this one" Along those lines. It wasn't even the most expensive one they had either, but I have been well pleased with it after going through a variety of other brands. (have not owned a stihl trimmer though, but for four hunnert clams, that one should be good as well, I was pushing it going 200 for the tanaka)

Years and years ago I had a tanaka bicycle motor, bolted on the front forks, what fun! Wish I still had it, reliable as all get out, 20 MPH and 200 MPG, plus obviously you could still pedal the bike. A moped you could still shoulder and climb the stairs with (when I first got it I had an apartment). It got ripped along with some other stuff out of a storage locker I had...rats....

This last go -around with the saws, I was sorely tempted to buy a tanaka saw mail order because I was so pleased with my two previous tanaka small engine things(and neither one required any voodoo breakin shenanigans or carb tweaking) but no one local here carries them, and I kinda sorta want to "feel the weight" before I buy something like that. I got a deal on my echos, so that was that, craigslist local.

---whut the heck, ain't that cold out and I own a flashlight..just went and looked, model # TBC 2501

The only experience I have with anything Tanaka is a few hedge trimmers that I worked on in the early '90s (seemed OK), and my Tas branded Tanaka 1.2hp kicker boat motor that's been in the family for decades. It's a cool little stinker that only weighs something like 11 pounds. Packed it and a canoe with a couple of buddies once. Starter pawls are the only weakness on it...

That's been my impression with those 4-Mix Stihls too. FS90R's mostly. I like not having to rev the piss out of the machine to get things done. Less flingin' of stuff as well (as you mentioned ZC).

I guess the same attitude from my grandpa. Everything he did on the farm, he did with the John Deere A. I got old/strong enough to turn the flywheel and get her going at exactly the same time he got too old to turn her over. I always enjoyed working with that and the Case 830 much more than the shiny Case-International with the air-conditioned cab. What I enjoyed most was standing on the axle while grandpa worked the field with that old Johnny popper.

My uncle is selling the farm, and if I lived closer, I'd find a way to own both of them.

Personally, I'm glad there are people that prefer to run new saws. Makes the older ones more available!

Now all I need is time to work on them. Maybe once the Christmas gifts are done...

You should still find a way to get that Case and JD if possible (at least one of 'em). I wasn't able to get my Grandpa's Ford 851 (with an HD front end loader) when he passed. I miss it (for similar sentimental reasons to yours) and it would sure come in handy here on the homestead. Rent a 1 ton diesel pickup and trailer one way and haul it back. That's expensive I know. I couldn't do that right now either if it's very far. My Grandpa's place was only about 4 hours from here. Too bad Dad wouldn't go for it, and I was only 14 at the time...

The the only piece of power equipment I ever threw away was a Stihl FS 60 string trimmer. It was a re-branded Japan POS. I would look at Redmax.
ZG

That's a surprise to me. If it wasn't made 'in house' by Stihl, then it would have been built by Shindaiwa. They're heavy, but tough and reliable in my experience. My ancient FS80AV sure has been.

Get an echo trimmer they are awesome, alot better then this junk stihl i got. Seriously come summer im getting a echo.

I kind of noticed its either echo or shindaiwa for trimmers for me. I've owned a fs110, fs 85, a fs45, and a fs55. The fs45 and 55 already have met their demise. They did run decent. Its just they didn't last. The fs85 i loved dearly though. Until it started burning through coils. I had a coil problem with the fs110 too, it ran good loads of torque. started in 1 pull most of the time. until it dropped a valve in use one day. The echos i've owned have been abused. I have had two srm 260's, one srm 230 and 210. I have to say these are the most reliable trimmers ive ever owned. The 260's pack a nice punch of power. They have never failed to start. the one is 10 years old. The only thing ever replaced on the echos i've owned so far was the trimmer heads.I even like their trimmer heads better than the stihl or get a shindaiwa trimmer with the speed feed. you won't be dissapointed.

I've been running RedMax trimmers for the last 10 years and I love them. The specs on that Stihl look pretty sweet though. 31.4cc or whatever isn't that more in the brushtrimmer category? sounds like it to me. That price point is killer though at 335$. I might just pick one up the beginning of this season just to try out. I am running these two right now:

little guy:
BCZ2401S
Read more about BCZ2401S
Cylinder displacement 23.6 cc
Power output 1.13 hp / 0.84 kW
Weight 11 lbs / 4.99 kg

big guy:
BCZ2610S
Read more about BCZ2610S
Cylinder displacement 25.4 cc
Power output 1.2 hp / 0.89 kW
Weight 11.5 lbs / 5.22 kg

and to tell you the truth they are both new this last season and I like the little one better. It seems to rev quicker and the power is about the same, also the little one was about $330 vs the $375 for the 25cc one. I love redmax trimmers and blowers.

Adam

I've been running RedMax trimmers for the last 10 years and I love them. The specs on that Stihl look pretty sweet though. 31.4cc or whatever isn't that more in the brushtrimmer category? sounds like it to me. That price point is killer though at 335$. I might just pick one up the beginning of this season just to try out. I am running these two right now:

little guy:
BCZ2401S
Read more about BCZ2401S
Cylinder displacement 23.6 cc
Power output 1.13 hp / 0.84 kW
Weight 11 lbs / 4.99 kg

big guy:
BCZ2610S
Read more about BCZ2610S
Cylinder displacement 25.4 cc
Power output 1.2 hp / 0.89 kW
Weight 11.5 lbs / 5.22 kg

and to tell you the truth they are both new this last season and I like the little one better. It seems to rev quicker and the power is about the same, also the little one was about $330 vs the $375 for the 25cc one. I love redmax trimmers and blowers.

Adam

Thought about a redmax as well, the stihl is a bear to start sometimes and the string head likes to clog up. I wrap it just like the directions say as well. Has decent power for what i do though.

You should still find a way to get that Case and JD if possible (at least one of 'em). I wasn't able to get my Grandpa's Ford 851 (with an HD front end loader) when he passed. I miss it (for similar sentimental reasons to yours) and it would sure come in handy here on the homestead. Rent a 1 ton diesel pickup and trailer one way and haul it back. That's expensive I know. I couldn't do that right now either if it's very far. My Grandpa's place was only about 4 hours from here. Too bad Dad wouldn't go for it, and I was only 14 at the time...

My grandpa's '49 Mercury 3/4 ton is being sold too. He gave it to me when I was 15.

Just had our second kid, and the wife is staying home with them, so things are pretty tight. I'm not sure I can afford to make it to the auction this summer, but it'll be my last chance to see the place.

I'd love to have that JD. I rebuilt it one year when my uncle turned it over on himself (I was 13).

Unfortunately, Saskatchewan is a long way from SC!

Latest posts

Back