I know, its like beating a dead horse

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjslmitchell

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys, new member(first post). Been reading around the site for a few days. We're buying a house with a wood stove, old fashioned cast iron, no blower or anything. I'm going to buy a new saw, most likely Stihl due to dealer support. I see the ms361 looks to be a popular choice. Looking at Stihl's website, I also see the ms310. Its falls into the midrange, and the 361 into professional range. Is there a big difference in these 2 saws, they seem to spec out fairly close? I would rather over-buy than under-buy, and the $90 difference isn't that big of deal. I have a 12-15 year old craftsman/poulan that I'll use as my smaller saw till it dies, and I plan on buying a couple different bar sizes to go with my new saw. I'll have to work up to the 3 saw plan. Also, do any of the creosote removing "logs" have any value? I know if theres a problem, they most likely can't fix it, but do they work as a maintenance plan or anything? Thanks for all and any help and comments.

How much would do you cut and what size? I guess if money isn't an issue you might as well just get the 361 anyway and be done with it.

If you think in the slightest you need to go "big", spring the coin for the 361 now, and start saving for a 460 or 660.

Those creosote logs have their place, but they are no substitute for regular chimney cleaning with a brush.

If money isn't an issue then don't even waste the time. Get the 361, it has more power, is lighter, has better anti-vibe and you can pass it along to your kids kids.

The 290/310/390 are fine saws, but there are better options out there if you are willing to spend the money. It sounds like you are, so spend it.

Cutting firewood is out of necessity, then becomes a hobby, then becomes a rewarding passion. Get the 361 and start saving for your next saw.......and there will be one. I went from a cheap poulan to a 361 to a 7900 and looking to get a ms660. The 361 will do everything you need as a firewood saw, bigger saws just make it more fun.

Since you already have your "small" saw covered for now, I say go with a 361. Stay with pro saws. They will last forever if you do your part. And if you ever want to sell them they will hold their value better. WDO

P.S.- If you ever want to try a bigger saw look me up.

I agree with most here, get the MS361, you won't regret it....

P.S. I'm normally not a Stihl pusher either......

Mike

Cutting firewood is out of necessity, then becomes a hobby, then becomes a rewarding passion. Get the 361 and start saving for your next saw.......and there will be one. I went from a cheap poulan to a 361 to a 7900 and looking to get a ms660. The 361 will do everything you need as a firewood saw, bigger saws just make it more fun.

When you say it like that - it sounds so nice and fluffy - - like a cool lite beer in the summer shade.

Somehow when you add AS to the mix - - it becomes a raging hardcore addiction - - like a chug of Jack Daniels from a dirty glass..:cheers::greenchainsaw:

...and from one new guy to another - Welcome.

From what I have seen, I don't think you could find a better place to get saw info , safety info and a few chuckles along the way.:)

Hi, another new guy here. I don't know enough about saws first-hand to recommend one over the other, but I just got my first "real" saw, a Stihl MS390 (some here will debate that idea of a MS390 being a real saw!) and I have to say I never knew cutting wood could be so much fun! This saw takes the struggle out of cutting wood and it's great entertainment to boot. To think that I've been wasting all these years fooling around with guns and motorcycles when I could have been deep into chainsaws. Well, there's still time... I'm now thinking about what my next saw should be!

Hi, another new guy here. I don't know enough about saws first-hand to recommend one over the other, but I just got my first "real" saw, a Stihl MS390 (some here will debate that idea of a MS390 being a real saw!) and I have to say I never knew cutting wood could be so much fun! This saw takes the struggle out of cutting wood and it's great entertainment to boot. To think that I've been wasting all these years fooling around with guns and motorcycles when I could have been deep into chainsaws. Well, there's still time... I'm now thinking about what my next saw should be!

Welcome to all the newBs. May CAD afflict you gently.

Don't wory, Chainsaws, guns, motorcycles, ars and trucks all kind of go tegether. Well at least for me they do.
Where in SoCal are you.

I'm in Camarillo, Ventura County, but I'm doing my cutting up in Monterey County. I believe you all have infected me with CAD already, but I guess the cure is simple--more chainsaws.

Back