I know of at least 10 people.........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting! Do Stihl dealers in general, even mention modifying a saw, or is it something they refuse to address? Will they sell a saw to a customer, and then say bring it back after the warranty runs out, and we'll really make it rip.

I've yet to have a dealer want to talk about the subject.

I doubt Stihl dealers even know what it is, i mean most dealers don't even know everything Stihl even sells and if you ask about it you just get a blank stare.

I doubt Stihl dealers even know what it is, i mean most dealers don't even know everything Stihl even sells and if you ask about it you just get a blank stare.

It IS slightly annoying. But to be fair, it's not like you can go buy a brand new Camaro and tell the dealer you want them to do a Lingenfelter job on it.

They'd hafta send it out for that :msp_tongue:

you don't need to mod an 066 or 395, what the hell are people cutting over there in the states, 1000 year old redwoods? If the saw companies got their act together a husky 65cc engine in a chassis the weight of a lightweight 50cc, it'd be the ultimate all-rounder saw, unstressed and easy, unlike screaming howling gas-guzzling modded stuff. Forget what the modders tell you, a hotted engine runs stinking hot and your eardrums are ringing within minutes. Work all day with a quiet saw then do a day on a muffler modded ported jobby, the noise is atrocious. Also 90% of pro saw users don't know jack about the mechanical side of their saws, unbolt the bar and clean the filter is about their lot, anything more it's straight to the rip-off dealers

It IS slightly annoying. But to be fair, it's not like you can go buy a brand new Camaro and tell the dealer you want them to do a Lingenfelter job on it.

They'd hafta send it out for that :msp_tongue:

I agree but if you go to a Chevy dealer and ask about the new Camaro they know its out and they know all about it and they know the difference btwn the RS AND Z28. If i go to the parts department and need a part they know exactly what i need without me giving them the part# and there is no blank stares.

you don't need to mod an 066 or 395, what the hell are people cutting over there in the states, 1000 year old redwoods? If the saw companies got their act together a husky 65cc engine in a chassis the weight of a lightweight 50cc, it'd be the ultimate all-rounder saw, unstressed and easy, unlike screaming howling gas-guzzling modded stuff. Forget what the modders tell you, a hotted engine runs stinking hot and your eardrums are ringing within minutes. Work all day with a quiet saw then do a day on a muffler modded ported jobby, the noise is atrocious. Also 90% of pro saw users don't know jack about the mechanical side of their saws, unbolt the bar and clean the filter is about their lot, anything more it's straight to the rip-off dealers

For anyone who cuts trees on a professional level, a 65cc saw is a joke. The standard logging saw around here is an MS460 or 660. That is the power it takes to harvest the hardwoods that grow in this region with any kind of reasonable speed. You may not feel the need for a modified 90cc saw, but there are plenty of folks that feel it is an essential item to get their work done.

A stock 660 will not even come close to putting the stem on the ground like this one does:

[video=youtube_share;2x7MXn5zuEw]http://youtu.be/2x7MXn5zuEw[/video]

"Energy can not naturally be created nor destroyed, it can only be changed from one form to another"

Consistency is key, Where's the guys doing CNC porting?

Every port job I have done comes out a little different.

If there was a perfect example, and you could duplicate perfection every time. Then you would be on to something.

Proven 30-40% gain without losing anything else?

I'll take 2!

"Energy can not naturally be created nor destroyed, it can only be changed from one form to another"

Consistency is key, Where's the guys doing CNC porting?

Every port job I have done comes out a little different.

If there was a perfect example, and you could duplicate perfection every time. Then you would be on to something.

Proven 30-40% gain without losing anything else?

I'll take 2!

40%? Psssh, insignificant. :msp_wink:

For anyone who cuts trees on a professional level, a 65cc saw is a joke. The standard logging saw around here is an MS460 or 660. That is the power it takes to harvest the hardwoods that grow in this region with any kind of reasonable speed. You may not feel the need for a modified 90cc saw, but there are plenty of folks that feel it is an essential item to get their work done.

A stock 660 will not even come close to putting the stem on the ground like this one does:

[video=youtube_share;2x7MXn5zuEw]http://youtu.be/2x7MXn5zuEw[/video]

That dude is good.:rock:
I think the cocked hat had more to do with it than the saw though.......

... Not one of them have a saw that has a modded muffler or had any cylinder porting done to them.

Having said that, is this typical.......or is it more of a chainsaw forum issue, in regards to the MM and porting?

There's a legitimate market for ported saws; more power from the same weight, not bound to EPA restrictions. Bottom line, the lighter the saw with the same power, the longer you can work and the more productive and safer you will be. I appreciate that there are a number of top-shelf builders on this forum.

Last edited:
......that own at least one chainsaw. Some have more, and some use their saws to make a living.

I've talked to all of them within the last 2 or maybe 3 years. Not one of them have a saw that has a modded muffler or had any cylinder porting done to them.

Having said that, is this typical.......or is it more of a chainsaw forum issue, in regards to the MM and porting?

BTW.....my father spent many years in the timber / logging industry, as well as the vast majority of my relatives. As far as I know, none had any use for a modified or race saw.

Over compensation?:msp_w00t:

I think that applies to MOST models of anything and Most dealers. Occasionally you find someone that knows what they are talking about but for the most part that "blank stare" is pretty much the standard.

I beleive that is in the counter employee handbook somewhere. When asked anything pertaining to what your selling, give the customer the "Blank Stare" as you know damn good and well you have no clue about anything your selling other than the price tag.

I wonder do you taste something foul? Caus your full of poo!

I wonder do you taste something foul? Caus your full of poo!

mmwwahahah, the turkey kid, thinks he's one of the 10% of pro-users who can do more than just replace a sparkplug

you don't need to mod an 066 or 395, what the hell are people cutting over there in the states, 1000 year old redwoods?

Actually, a modded 066, 660, 390 or 395 is very common among the guys that cut timber for a living. I doubt if they'd spend the money if it wasn't worthwhile.

And yes, there are still some guys falling 1000 year old Redwoods. Just wanted to clear that up.

Back