I Like to Add Two Logs...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
... to the stove's fire each time I reload. Now, I know that might sound fruitless, but it seems to work, and that's the instructions I have given to LOML as well --> when in doubt, throw on two logs at a time.

It seems that one average log won't last long and two together just plain burn better and they seem to rejuvenate the fire better. Three may not fit into the stove and I avoid that unless the fire is almost dead out.

How do you add fuel wood to your stove as needed? Any comments?

Arm load at a time. Burn to coals, then reload. Stuff it full at night before bed (may only require a chunk or two).
Yup, burn it down to coals and then a full reload. Sometimes I'll get a load of wood that's not burning hot enough for good secondary combustion, and then I may add a log of something like poplar or basswood - something that burns hot to get it cranking again. But I don't like to open it up if I can help it.

Let it burn down to about a quart of coals and then add a fireboxfull, but then we have a wood furnace and lots of coals equals a cold house so it's best to do it in cycles.

The fireplace is another matter altogether different, just face the embered log outwards and the room gets warm.

We rarely do full loads unless we leave for a while or its very cold outside. A small armload with maybe 4 or 5 medium splits works well which is around a half load. If I want a small fire then 3 splits, 2 on bottom and 1 on top. A full load is maybe 5 or 6 large splits. They say wood burns better with a buddy. 3 is the least I will load at a time.

I get my kindlin goin pretty good then I fill the wood stove up completely.

Let that get goin pretty good, then cut my damper back and just letr burn nice and smoothly. no overfires just nice and slow.

Seems like too many opens and closes of the loading door. Just MHO.

Just added two more. Temp dropping tonight. North wind. Good burning conditions. You are now burning wood in the Sunshine State? Gasp!

Not really, I am months away from using my Atlanta Stove Works #27 box in the Woodsmoke Lounge.... I need to do some serious work to it to get it installed. I was making a joke-

I add a piece of wood to the bonfire every time I add a piece, I add another. I am a constant fire poker-er. When I install the ASW in the Lounge, I'm sure I'll have the door open all night playing with the fire.

I am happy this week, my oldest son has bought a travel trailer and intends to live at Rancho Varano full time, now that he is transfering his carreer back to this area. He can keep an eye on things down there and I can leave more tools and equipment down there with him living there full time.

Happy too since I walked off out the back and chased off a dozen piglets, sat down and waited, and had a dozen come from the other direction. Since I was unarmed, I decided to walk back out the way I came, and just standing up scared up the whole gaggle. A couple of bigger ones thrashed hard through the palms and brush. These two pods had to have some big Sows, all the little ones were like 40 pounders, and I did see a couple of 100-125's probably from the last litter and hadn't left the herd yet.

I will have to remember to pack heat. The big northeaster/tropical storm last weekend dropped some serious oak acorns, and the swamp is about half-ish full, so the game is coming across my hammock land, got the area I hunt in absolutely tore up. I am going to get hog in the freezer right away anyhow, but with my son coming, I'm thinking I'll be able to trap and properly feed up a couple all the time, and garden too.

Also spied at least two white oaks in the 24" dbh by 50' straight trunk (16-18" at the limbing forks) and a few 16" twisted tops on the ground, all within easy picking off the trails. And I bascially quit looking. If you aint on the trail, the ASV RC 30 aint grappling, its dragging, and draggin sucks.

My wife would try the 2 log ordeal which I got her out of. It's taken a bit of time for her to change habits from the old furnace to new. I can't complain, she even knows which wood to burn during the day and night. She is just like me, she will dig through a woodpile looking for the perfect pieces for the fire. As long as the house is warm I'm happy.

Eats!

Not really, I am months away from using my Atlanta Stove Works #27 box in the Woodsmoke Lounge.... I need to do some serious work to it to get it installed. I was making a joke-

I add a piece of wood to the bonfire every time I add a piece, I add another. I am a constant fire poker-er. When I install the ASW in the Lounge, I'm sure I'll have the door open all night playing with the fire.

I am happy this week, my oldest son has bought a travel trailer and intends to live at Rancho Varano full time, now that he is transfering his carreer back to this area. He can keep an eye on things down there and I can leave more tools and equipment down there with him living there full time.

Happy too since I walked off out the back and chased off a dozen piglets, sat down and waited, and had a dozen come from the other direction. Since I was unarmed, I decided to walk back out the way I came, and just standing up scared up the whole gaggle. A couple of bigger ones thrashed hard through the palms and brush. These two pods had to have some big Sows, all the little ones were like 40 pounders, and I did see a couple of 100-125's probably from the last litter and hadn't left the herd yet.

I will have to remember to pack heat. The big northeaster/tropical storm last weekend dropped some serious oak acorns, and the swamp is about half-ish full, so the game is coming across my hammock land, got the area I hunt in absolutely tore up. I am going to get hog in the freezer right away anyhow, but with my son coming, I'm thinking I'll be able to trap and properly feed up a couple all the time, and garden too.

Also spied at least two white oaks in the 24" dbh by 50' straight trunk (16-18" at the limbing forks) and a few 16" twisted tops on the ground, all within easy picking off the trails. And I bascially quit looking. If you aint on the trail, the ASV RC 30 aint grappling, its dragging, and draggin sucks.

--lot of eats walking there, perfect size!

You'd *think* we would be over run with them here, but I ain't seen hog one on this farm. They got loads of them north of us, east, west and obviously south, but in this little region, ain't seen a one. I have no idea at all why this is so.. if we did, the dogs would be eating a lot of hog meat, too...

Fire poker, yep..I don't mind adding a stick at a time, it is right here in the hang out room. No need for more than that a time, not in these temps, colder, maybe two sticks, coldest, three sticks tops, one big heavy fat chunk at night.

Good to get up and stretch the legs often anyway, too much sitting is bad for you. Yesterday I guess was first official "real" burning day of the season for us. Earliest for a few years, but oh well..gives me a great excuse to go cut mo wood!

Little ones DO count....

I'm sitting still for like less than it takes to have sip of beer and fire a ciggy, and they come from the other direction.

I have a wet sick in my hand, and lots of piglets- I'm counting on that being a sign there are some sows, and right behind them are some Boars.

My friend was down there last night and said it was a freezerfull coming from (every) all four directions, constantly.

I think I need to thin some out to leave some acorns for Bambi.

Taking Princess Kickbutt down on Sunday to get some 125 to 175's.

i find chipping the logs before burning works well
more surface area = more heat, and its a lot lighter to carry in a coffee jar full of chips rather than big logs
soak the chips in water first for a longer burn

Burning one log never works for me. It's like the old saying take a bed of red hot coals, remove one coal and set it by itself and it will go out, put it back with the other coals and it will burn hot again. If I want to keep a fire going I need at least 2 logs side by side close together. Unless you are laying it on top of a real nice bed of red hot coals, one log by itself just won't burn.

Well I guess I will be the odd ball out again. I only load less than three pieces if I am just going to burn for a day. Like a cold day or night, otherwise the stove runs me out of the house when the temp comes back up.

Now when it is burning season like now, I usually try to fill the stove all the way full, let it get up to temp, close the cat bypass, then let it burn on hot for an hour or so, then set my thermostat to 1.5 or maybe 2 depending. I then wait 24 or 48 hours, depending on how hot I keep the house and how cold outside, then I refill, and repeat. I hate restarting a fire so I just turn the thermostat down if it warms up a little, and never let it go out. I use a vogelzang log cart (it's a little over 2' tall and 1' deep where the logs go), fill it at the wood pile or my log rack outside the door, roll it inside and put usually all or 95% of that wood in the stove, but its a big firebox.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

We prescribe to the burn buddy at our house too. Min two logs to a feeding, usually more. Our stove's box is ~26" wide x 18" deep by hardly 12" tall or so. 3-4 is a good load. Usually alternate directions each feeding.

Don

Latest posts

Back