I lost my cherry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey this is getting out of hand. A certain member, not to be mentioned, just PMd me offering his newly acquired Contra GS for first place. :jawdrop: Incredibly nice of him. :greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw:

Just kidding.

I got a big black gum blowover with bark that looks like that, dont know what it wood be worth for milling but is sure is a pita to make firewood out of.

But I will still play!
Before I make my guess, is there more Hickory or Silver Maple. What oaks if any are in the region of the cut tree(log).

Red oak, black walnut, black locust, all sorts of hickory, poplar, sugar maple etc. This has inspired me to start a photographic index of the trees and their bark that I find on the property, for future reference.

basswood...?
Dnash wants the Contra!!!

Hey this is getting out of hand. A certain member, not to be mentioned, just PMd me offering his newly acquired Contra GS for first place. :jawdrop: Incredibly nice of him.

Just kidding.

I heard that guy is a fanatic! Crazy, a true Jeremiah Johnson!! LOL!!
Even heard it was taken apart and buried!!

Red oak, black walnut, black locust, all sorts of hickory, poplar, sugar maple etc. This has inspired me to start a photographic index of the trees and their bark that I find on the property, for future reference.

This would make me think of Cherry but Bass Qood, Ash, and Tulip are such vigorous growers they can sneak into most tree stands!!!
As for making a map of the land!!! AWESOME!!!! A good dichotomous key(book) will be your best friend! Check with a local AG Tech school for one of the books. it is a GREAT key and reference once you learn (took me 4 years of college so you guys can probably learn in a hour!!) how to use it, it will show you what tree you have and you will learn more from the process of elimination!!! PLUS, most all flora and fauna books have a dichotomous book that is your best friend if you want to learn on your own!!!!

Note on the dichotomous book I used for my last to years at school, really focuses on the BUDS! they are the tell tale sign!(can even figure out if the oaks are starting to cross from the bud scales!) bark, canopy, and settings can be a bit misleading at times! we learned that bud(s) never lie!!!!
So the key word for this thread should be DENDROLOGY!!!!

ALRIGHT, WHAT HAPPEN GUYS? I BLACKED OUT!

attachment.php

More pictures

Okay, first thing I did, right after raiding the asparagus patch and bringing in a couple of pounds for supper, was go out and take some pics of the tree and try to find leaves that would help identify it. I looked and looked but couldn't find a sapling low enough for me to even get a shot of the leaves so here's what I have to help y'all identify my tree.

-----
First is this comparison shot of the bark on the lower branches and trunk and the upper branches:
attachment.php

-----
Next is a photo of the trunk bark by itself:
attachment.php

-----
Then this is a close-up of the upper branches' bark:

attachment.php

-----
Now this is the best shot of the leaves I could get. This is a tree within 10 feet of the one I cut down and looks as close to identical as I can find. Note the leaves have seven in a bunch. This should be kinda diagnostic. Sorry for the lousy quality but I was using a point and shoot and zoomed it out as far as possible then magnified this one set of leaves. I'll probably have to cut down another tree tomorrow just to get access to some leaves:

attachment.php

-----
Finally, to answer the question of how old the tree WAS I counted the rings and it appears to be 70 or more years old:

attachment.php

Let's hear what you think.:yoyo:

ASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pinnate type(compound looking leaves arranged opposite)
ASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Cherry would have similar looking leaves, but would have been alternately arranged!

Who ever said Ash!
YOU JUST WON A CONTRA FROM 7OAKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Disclaimer: I still could be wrong!!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys - now I'm kinda excited about milling it. So all those holes are from the emerald ash borer? I had thought they were from woodpeckers looking for insect larvae.

Thanks for all the interest guys. Moved the Contra to safe keeping this afternoon. Found a NOS bar for it Friday so it is looking pretty cool and cutting better than ever.

Now that I know that the tree isn't BC I feel a bit foolish. Hope you all don't think I made an ASH of myself.

:cheers:

that reminds me ...I gotta clean the fireplace ready for night fall.

How many varieties of Ash do you have in US.?
.......mainly see Claret Ash ornamentals over here.Quite a nice timber ...often very flecked with rays/ fiddleback.

Latest posts

Back