I lost my wood cutting buddy today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He was a tripod like Odin. Had been on daily pain meds for a year or so. Yesterday, he just couldn't get up anymore and we decided to have it done today or Monday. He died this morning. Just got back from burying him.

Ian

Aww...that kills ya, I know.

About a month ago, our little Calico cat Serenity died here at home, in my wife's arms. She had a brain tumor, but with medicine and natural supplements she lived a pretty good life for 1 1/2 years after the tumor was diagnosed. The nice thing was, as hard as it is on us, is that her AND your dog died at home, where they enjoyed life, and around the folks who loved 'em. Making that trip to the vet is one of the hardest things that we have to do as pet owners, so please take some comfort in the fact that he was at home when he passed.

We'll all see our pets again, one day.

Peace be with you...

My lab of 14 years got liver cancer Vet told me he had atleast 6-12 months to live went home the next day looked me square in the eyes telling me not to leave him, took a #### on the floor went right to my feet layed down and died. Did not hit me till i took my Chocolate lab for a walk right after got out side my house house and broke down on the side walk with my Chocolate lab (Boomer) licking my face then put his head on my shoulder his nose tight againts my face i ll never forget that. Now he is getting old on me I have more love for him then most people lol

Sincere condolences to you also, HH. Cherish the memories and don't be surprised if another one shows up somewhere down the line that strongly resembles the one you just lost. That happened to me with the last one I acquired and the similarities between the former and the latter are downright
spooky. It's almost as if it were the same dog in another dog's body. This was not a dog we picked out but one that we were asked to watch on a temporary basis as the owner was moving out of state. To make a long story a little shorter, temporary became permanent and we were delighted that things turned out as they did. God often works in mysterious ways and I like to think that this was one of those times.

Best wishes,
Maplemeister

a good quote

Rose Kenndy Quote.
It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone.
Rose Kennedy
When we lost our golden retriver of only 5yr to cancer. That quote got my wife and myself through it.

Sorry for ya as well Haywire.

I took this pic for the weather/woodcutting thread on the chainsaw forum, but it occured to me that it probably belongs here more. The bigger elm on top of the hill is where a half dozen or so of our families' pets are buried. I think it's a beautiful place for it, and I hope that DED never gets this tree.

attachment.php

Damn...Sorry guys for loss of the best buds. I feel for and have been there too many times also. All I can say is we/you give them the best life they coulda had..........RIP good puppy's :)

Sorry for your lost!

I know this is of no signifigance, But I lost my dogtoday. His name was skip, He wasmy wood cutting partner. 2 days ago he got real weak and just kindda fell over. They are going to put him down tommorow. But i just need some support:cry::cry::cry:

So sorry to here about your buddy. I lost my Blue Healer (Cody) of 14 years in 2006. If I was outside he was with me. He would be within 100 feet of me while I was cuttin wood. Funny thing is he's been gone 4 years last month and I still expect to see him out of the corner of my eye soon as I shut off my saw. Really sucks that you lose something or someone that is so selfless and devoted. My heart goes out to ya. Hope you have some good pictures of the ole boy to keep. If you can stand to look at them later you will appreciate them.

Sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace.

I look at my 7 year old big 100 lb oaf of a golden retriver laying on the floor at my feet as I am typing this and hope he is as happy as he can be. I dread the day.......hes my boy.

WV, I'm 52 & have buried 3 dogs. It is one of the hardest things & it sucks royal. The last one was a schnauzer we rescued 5 years ago in FL. This past summer he somehow got out of the yard & a car got him. His nickname was the "Arsehole"....barked every time he saw another dog, was a pain in many ways, but it took my wife & I almost two weeks to really get past his death. A new pup is a good way to honor the old fella.

Archie
ARCHIE001.jpg

RD

It's a sad day when a man loses his best friend. I think most of us have been there before and can sympathies with you. I lost my Lab/Retriever 8 years ago, and I still tear up when I think about him. He was always there covering my back when I was in the woods cutting wood. He was around before my children! When my daughter was 4-5, he would stay with her while she was playing by the truck while I cut wood, (not to far off) where I could keep my I on them. Yep, broke my heart when he left us. He was 13 years old,so I can relate, I feel your pain, and you have condolences! Hang in there man.

This is my second post to this thread, as it hit's close to home.
I don't know what I would do if I lost him? he is my best friend and my Avatar too. We are going to the vet this week for a check up he has been to the vet more in his 11 years as I have been to a doctor. I am a concerned parent.The one time for a porcupine encounter was kinda fun as he pulled the the Quill out him self, then spit out out the window of the truck on the way to the vet just to act like a tough guy.The Porky was not so lucky when I met him,it's amazing what a 12 ga will do at 10'with bird shot.
But I will say this all my friends and Family say this when it's his time, give a few weeks to grieve, then get another but it would be better to get another before it is his time so he can mold the new hound into his image.

Dzintra our dog who is the "miracle dog" has been more sleepy this past week and her gums are less pink. We took her to vet and her platelet level has dropped again although not to a critical level, but her RBC count has also dropped so she now anemic and she has an infection with a fever.
She needs to get to property to eat those magic miracle cure mushrooms she found!
I hope she pulls out of this illness soon!

So sorry to those that have lost dogs, it is easier if they are with you at their time though although it nearly kills us. They are more than just buddies or friends they are family.

Our last Golden had epilepsy and even with meds every 4 hours for nearly 10 years, the seizures became uncontrollable and near continuous. I was on my way to the vet on emergency run at 5am on a Sunday no traffic except a sheriff car at red light I wanted to turn left at. I turned in front of him, I did not care the dog was extremely sick. I got stopped but then let go when deputy saw what was wrong, he told me to be careful rushing in traffic. I then took off and 85 down the freeway. He was heavily sedated for trip home for a few quality hours with us before that last very slow journey this time to the vets.

Jeez just typing this is difficult

But I will say this all my friends and Family say this when it's his time, give a few weeks to grieve, then get another but it would be better to get another before it is his time so he can mold the new hound into his image.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:
:cry:

What a tough and at the same time great thread. Our pets do fill a very unique spot in our lives.

Last year in a 9 month period I lost my cat, my dad and our golden retriever.

I was never a cat person until I dug a tiny kitten out of the fender of my truck. I named him Dodge. He grew to a 15 lb cuddle machine. When he decided it was time for my lap, it did not matter what was there. It got knocked out of the way so he could lay down. He loved teaching the dogs things. There isn't much funnier than watching a grown lab and fat retriever trying to sit and balance on the back of a couch like the cat does. Both would sit in the picture window with the cat, with 2 legs on the sill and 2 on the floor. Dodge was 10 when he died while I was petting him.

Dad died from a pulmonary embolism after emergency surgery. When it comes down to it, it was plain stubbornness that did it. He had a cancerous mass in his colon. There is no doubt it had been giving him problems for years, he just ignored it. Worked for 41 years and never took a day off that wasn't an emergency. No vacation, just work. Enjoyed a year and a half of retirement.

The night of the surgery the hospital requested a family member stay with him. He was pretty restless, so I played Roy Orbison on the laptop all night. Although Dad was only awake for a few minutes at a time while I was with him, I am so grateful that I spent that last night there with him listening to all the songs I heard him sing while I was growing up. The next day he was doing great and the hospital said we didn't need to be there that night. In fact he would probably be released early because he was so strong and doing so well. Then we got the 3 A.M. call. Mom is still a wreck. 6'5" 350 lbs of attitude and heart shoe horned into a 5'1" 130 lb package.

Sage the Golden Retriever just went from good to sick in a few hours. The vet was at a loss, but thought something with her liver. We gave her the prescriptions, but the next day she was gone. She was the happiest, goofiest dog I have ever encountered. She was 4 so it was very unexpected.

Our sheltie is pushing 12 and his age is showing. He lays on the pillow next to my chair with his blanket on, waiting for some loving. Such a huge change from the bundle of energy he was a few years ago. When I take the lab out to throw her ball I have to put him on the bed and cover him up. Once he is taking his nap I take the lab out. He would for sure try to chase the ball and he has hurt himself the last few times.

The lab is very much Daddies girl. Her favorite place in the world is leaning against me. She is 8, so I hope we have lots of good years left.

It's funny, none of the pets started out as mine. Wife, daughter and son got them. Now there is no doubt who they claim as their owner.

I apologize for the length of the post. I have not written about any of this before. It does help to get it out.

Roge

As I sit here reading all these posts,remembering all the dogs in my life, the last one being a 14yr old siberian husky.I can't help but feel for your lost, when Rajah got cancer I built her a coffin , dovetailed corners and all, burgandy velvet lined even. An a##hole at work called me a sissy, told him I wouldn't even dig a hole for him. All dogs go to heaven. They wait for us outside the pearly gates next to the wood pile .

Back