I love my OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm using a mix of slab and logs that have a yr on them- Mine smokes like a ##### the first damper cycle after a fill- but not much after that. I don't worry about it too much though- nobody in my neck of the woods seems to care.

I have been thinking about starting a thread for this question (and still may) But how does yours burn? My brother has a hard time getting a complete burn in his 5036- he usually ends up with a huge pile of ashes with a bunch of fist size coals buried down under all of the ash. to get it to completely burn he usually has to set a day aside and continually rake and baby it. My 6048 is nothing like that. When it's ready to reload, It's burnt down to nothing but driveway- rock sized coals.
We do burn slightly differently- he uses almost exclusively hardwood slab- I use a mixture of the slab and unsplit logs (anywhere from 2-3" all the way up to 20-21"

The only time I get what you described about your brothers burn is when I overload the stove..If I load enough to get a 12 hr burn, I will have little left. If I try to get a 24 hr burn, I'll have a layer of coals so deep that at times I'll find half burnt splits under 'em. I can see stuff gettin thick if your using slab wood instead of splits or rounds. More air gaps between the wood maybe???

I burn mostly hard wood splits and rounds that are seasoned. I still cut about the same lenght as I did when heating with my insert. I used that thing for so long it was hard to change my log lenghts. That is OK because they are easier to handle. Even though I have a huge firebox I still like that lenght. Again they are easier for me to handle without hurting the boys if you know what I mean.:msp_wink: I really don't have a big problem with ash build up. I shovel my unit out about every three to 4 weeks which I think is good.I think a key point tp that is to NOT overload and let it burn down good. I also use a hoe to mix around my coals every day. I really don't keep track that much on how much I burn but remember how much wood I brought into the house every night for the insert and it is about the same amount I put into the boiler every night. I probably averaged about 16 to18 face cord every year. I also heat my hot water so early in the heating season or late too it is nice to throw in a couple of peices to heat the water and take the chill off the home at night if needed.

The only time I get what you described about your brothers burn is when I overload the stove..If I load enough to get a 12 hr burn, I will have little left. If I try to get a 24 hr burn, I'll have a layer of coals so deep that at times I'll find half burnt splits under 'em. I can see stuff gettin thick if your using slab wood instead of splits or rounds. More air gaps between the wood maybe???

I know this could be considered "crazy talk" but here goes: I empty the ashes out of my OWB about three times a season. I grab my wheelbarrow and shovel the ashes into it then; and here is the crazy part, I shake the wheelbarrow and all the "chunks" rise to the top. It is like shaking a bag of popcorn only bigger. I use the shovel to skim the unburned stuff off the top and toss it back into the furnace. A couple of shakes and all I have left is ashes. Works for me!

Back