I Love my Wood Pile??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got back from my pile...added a little cherry and oak to it. I have about 6 different wood piles, so wherever I go in my yard I can see one.
Haywood, that's pretty impressive all by hand. I'm, doing all my by hand too, but I don't have half of what you have, maybe not even a third.
I was about to rent a splitter as I have about 90 rounds to split up and just wanted to get it done, but I haven't done it...maybe when I get another few ash trees in I'll break down and rent one for the night to get it all split and stacked.
I was kinda bummed out, the oak along the side of garage stopped smelling. I know that's good because it's drying, but I liked the smell when I walked by.

This thread is awesome.

People keep telling me, "I think you have enough wood"
I still go for more whenever I can.

Thanks for the sig Harry!

Any of you boys still cuttin? I'm doing some, but its not so fun when its 90 out...

Craig

Just getting my wood pile started. We just bought our first house, and it being all electric, the new Dutchwest wood stove will be integral to the heating bill reduction. We lucked into a guy locally who wants thirteen red oaks cleared. Most of them are about 3' at the base. He also has about three cords already cut, most split, that has been aged for about a year and a half. His wife won't let him burn in the house anymore. Bummer!

All the wood is being cut with a Husky 61 (1983 vintage), a 30 year old ServiStar maul, a 25 year old Oregon cone, and a 20# sledge. Yup, my wife knows and joins me in felling, hauling, cutting and sniffing the wood!

Cutting today.

My son and I cut two loads for him to sell and one load for me to heat with.. He is sixteen. He and a buddy can make decent money cutting wood to sell. Plus we are cleaning up the tops left from the logging. I am probably cutting 08-09 wood now. But just in case I run short I will have some fairly dry wood stacked to use.

Any of you boys still cuttin? I'm doing some, but its not so fun when its 90 out...

Craig

I am I have cut close to 10 cords in the last 2 weeks. If fact i have almost 2 cords on the trailer to split right now. I have a couple tree removal jobs coming up so I have to stop the firewood cutting for a couple weeks.

Scott

Holy Cow!!!

Some of you have LOST it!! LOL!!! Just kidding, I dont mund cutting when its warm out, cause there is less bulky clothes to wear, but splittin and stackin. . .no way!!! I remember the first time TTR and I thought we would stack a cord of wood. . . .didint look bacd til we started and then it seemed like we had been out there forever when we got it stacked all the way. . . i think i took like a 3 hour nap after that!! You guys are AWESOME for bein able to do that. . . .also, we use a splitter :blush: :blush: :blush:

Craig

I'm working at. Just finishing up my last load this morning then off to the woodpatch tomorrow to pick up the last 40 ft of the tree I have been working on.

I really don't need to be making any but my bod needs the excercise.

I have a splitter but only use it for the tough stuff (knots, crotches, cross grain). Almost all that you see was done wedges/sledge/maul. I'm retired so I have plenty of time to fill.

020_5.jpg

My next season's supply is already in the shed (3 cord) peeking over the top of the pile and in ricks under the maple to the left (about 8 cord there).

019_6.jpg

Adding to the pile. That has expanded by another 3 cord, had to add to the 'rack' holding up the left end of the new stuff. Used unsplit blocks. Don't have my digital set up yet (computer challenged for sure!)

Harry K

wood pile

Just a shot of this years wood pile. New at thia picture attaching bussiness, hope it works

ahahah...Turnkey...you're the man! Retired my a$$...looks like you are working hard!

Boilerhouse...is that red stuff I see cherry? Nice for special occasions....

You guys are givin me an inferiority complex over here.

and oh yeah....Hello...my name is Jimfound. And I love my woodpile :laugh:

Oh My : "My Name is Woody, and I Love My Woodpile"

and oh yeah....Hello...my name is Jimfound. And I love my woodpile :laugh:

This is dead-on 12 Step stuff going on here: :bang:
"My name is ____ and I love my woodpile":ices_rofl:
My god, what's next ?? Touching, fondling, sniffing, lurking, night visits, sneak peaks, time without cease. Does it never end ?:rockn: :rockn:

No laughing matter:taped: :taped:

This is dead-on 12 Step stuff going on here: :bang:
"My name is ____ and I love my woodpile":ices_rofl:
My god, what's next ?? Touching, fondling, sniffing, lurking, night visits, sneak peaks, time without cease. Does it never end ?:rockn: :rockn:

No laughing matter:taped: :taped:

Well, you gotta understand. One can only obsess about saws so long. Obsessing about the woodpile is ancilliary to that.

Harry K

Not only is it ancillary, but it is also in addition to or subordinate to the saw addiction (I had to look up ancillary :D)

Ian

This Morning 0430

Neighbor: Mornin'...whatcha doing?
Me: Splittin' some wood
Me: Whatcha Doing?
Neighbor: Walking the mobile fertilizer (at which time the mobile fertilizer takes a squeege that sounds like a waterfall).
Neighbor: first tiem I have seen anyone split wood at 0430.
Me: I think you will be saying "first time I have seen...." a lot when I do things.
Neighbor: Looks like a good workout?
Me: yup. Good cardio for sure.
Neighbor: The red oak really smells good. Can I grab a piece for my garage, the cat box stinks.
Me: Sure, when that piece dries out just swap it for a green piece.
Neighbor: Thanks, See ya

Yup, another morning splitting and smelling the wood. Great way to wake up!

"My god, what's next ?? Touching, fondling, sniffing, lurking, night visits, sneak peaks, time without cease. Does it never end ? "

You forgot "sitting on an unsplit stump with a beer and watching it dry":cheers:

"My god, what's next ?? Touching, fondling, sniffing, lurking, night visits, sneak peaks, time without cease. Does it never end ? "

You forgot "sitting on an unsplit stump with a beer and watching it dry":cheers:

Didn't fortget it, I just don't mention it for fear of someone coming by and helping drink my beer. It's MINE, MINE, ALL MINE!

Harry K

cherry

Jim Found, yes the red looking wood is cherry, my camera is not the best and the colors aren't true. Most of my wood is maple, oak, cherry and a little bit of ash. Like most of you my, friends and family cant understand why I like to cut and process my own wood. They are allways asking for wood for there campfires, but I cann't seem to get them to help when I'm cutting and splitting!!!! Thats OK though, because it just means I get to go cut some more! Me and my dog spending time in the woods is relaxing.
Carl
Oh Yea, that dump in the background is the neighbors, wish somebody that likes to cut wood and could clean the place up would move in. Just thinking about them now burns me. Think I'll go start my saw and wake them up

Last edited:
One of the things that I enjoy in addition to looking at the woodpile is the different "aromas" that you can smell from it. When I'm splitting wood, I'll sometimes put a split piece up to my face and "breathe deeply"! My neighbors think I'm nuts, but they don't burn wood; you HAVE to be a woodburner to UNDERSTAND some of these things, eh?:laugh:
I do that all the time with black cherry. What a scent! Sassafras is good to. Are you into barbecue. If so i hope you use wood and not gas or charcoal. Theres nothing like a steak grilled over shagbark or chicken over blackcherry.

Latest posts

Back