I loves my hookaroon!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got my Logrite Hookaroon from Bailey's this morning. Used it to unload/split 1/2 load. Should have bought one 20 years ago as everytime I unloaded I wanted one. Did use couple of those 4-tine right ange weedign rakes over the years - poor man's hookaroon. Poor substitute for a real one as you can't 'stab' a chunk with it and the head keeps coming off (no way to permanentlyh secure it either).

Using it and splitting off the tailgate I did the 1/2 load without ever shifting my feet, just turn a bit, whack, slide, grab, split. Only moved feet once to climb on and get the stuff out of reach moved to where the tool could grab it.

Great! Except that 1/2 load was the last I had planned to cut this year. Guess I will be forced to work up that windblown willow for the farmer.

Harry K

+2 on the hookeroons.:clap:

I cut firewood for 40 years without a hookerroon but now I would not be without one. It is simply amazing how much work they save particulary when unloading a trailer or truck. A person can also walk down a row of bucked rounds and stand them on end for splitting without bending over.

You split wood on the tailgate of your truck? Thats got to be a little rough on it. What happens when you miss or have a glancing blow?

Or make your own out of an old axe. like this one. I did have to slightly modify the hook point was a bit to curved.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=74896&highlight=pickaroon

I debated doing that last year, even scouted junk shops for an old ax, pick, etc. to use but then I wouild have to pay someone to cut it for me.

The price of them always seemed to be overinflated is why I put up without one for some many years. Still do think they shouldn't be that high.

Harry K

Or make your own out of an old axe. like this one. I did have to slightly modify the hook point was a bit to curved.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=74896&highlight=pickaroon

I debated doing that last year, even scouted junk shops for an old ax, pick, etc. to use but then I wouild have to pay someone to cut it for me.

The price of them always seemed to be overinflated is why I put up without one for some many years. Still do think they shouldn't be that high - $59 and change including shipping from Bailey's

Harry K

I was out in the shop this afternoon, and the idea of a hookaroon popped into my head. Found a 3" section of steel tubing and a qualified bolt from the "magic bucket". I put the bolt to the grinder and worked it to resemble a sharp screwdriver, then welded it to the steel tubing. A quick search of the shop turned up the old sledge hammer handle I had been saving. Put the two together, and a hookaroon is born.....:clap: I looked at the ones on Bailey's and for $60 I can make a dozen or more of these. Sure does make it nice not having to bend over to move rounds around my splitting area.

I have both of these and much prefer the one with the axe handle. It's longer and the handle is easier to hang on to. The Logrite rarely ever leaves the hook it's hanging on. --Ian

HR_030_L.jpg

15825_L.jpg

I have both of these and much prefer the one with the axe handle. It's longer and the handle is easier to hang on to. The Logrite rarely ever leaves the hook it's hanging on. --Ian

HR_030_L.jpg

15825_L.jpg

Drat! I must have misread it when ordering. I thought they were both 30" so I went with the logrite based on slightly heavier.

Harry K

DIY hookaroon

Been reading about pickaroons & hookaroons.
I like splitting with a maul - don't like picking up billets or splits. A hookaroon seemed perfect for eliminating the bend-over part of picking up.

Thought I'd make one. But, didn't want to carry around another tool. So, I put a "hook" on the maul (never used splitting wedges anyway). Tapped a 1/2-13 hole in poll, put in a grade 8 bolt & (lock)nut, ground the head to form the hook

Works great - Hook the billet onto the block, split with the maul side, hook the splits to the stack. Never bent over, never touched the wood.

picture.php

Been reading about pickaroons & hookaroons.
I like splitting with a maul - don't like picking up billets or splits. A hookaroon seemed perfect for eliminating the bend-over part of picking up.

Thought I'd make one. But, didn't want to carry around another tool. So, I put a "hook" on the maul (never used splitting wedges anyway). Tapped a 1/2-13 hole in poll, put in a grade 8 bolt & (lock)nut, ground the head to form the hook

Works great - Hook the billet onto the block, split with the maul side, hook the splits to the stack. Never bent over, never touched the wood.

picture.php

Neat!

Harry K

Back