I made some chain vises

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK boys who wants them?? They are ready to ship. Of 12, 4 are spoken for.
5ute9uqa.jpg

If those are the gen3 I should be on the spoken for list. Thanks

BTW Nathan.... that first pic is of a handsaw vise. :p
Yea I know... I actually have a saw tooth setter (pic below) for off setting the angles of hand saw teeth. I usually give my customers a chance to get $10 off their bill if they can tell me what the tool is when I hand it to them. Nobody has gotten the saw tooth setter yet.

View attachment 313234

Like Mike said back to the chainsaw chain vises... I'm curious if Mike could make a set of 8-10inch inserts for a 6-8 inch vise for sharpening? Guys could drill holes to fit their vice and would be an easy add... Just a little gas to throw onto the fire. There may be to many variables on regular bench vices to make a set of clamping sides that would fit... I just thought that a good bench vise could provide even clamping power over a broad area and can quickly release with the single vice handle. Would seem easy to produce and need very little modifiacation for guys that wanted to just add clamping plates to their bench vise...

Hope everyone is enjoying their vises just as much as ME! I am delving into square filing chains soon!

Yea I know... I actually have a saw tooth setter (pic below) for off setting the angles of hand saw teeth. I usually give my customers a chance to get $10 off their bill if they can tell me what the tool is when I hand it to them. Nobody has gotten the saw tooth setter yet.

View attachment 313234

Like Mike said back to the chainsaw chain vises... I'm curious if Mike could make a set of 8-10inch inserts for a 6-8 inch vise for sharpening? Guys could drill holes to fit their vice and would be an easy add... Just a little gas to throw onto the fire. There may be to many variables on regular bench vices to make a set of clamping sides that would fit... I just thought that a good bench vise could provide even clamping power over a broad area and can quickly release with the single vice handle. Would seem easy to produce and need very little modifiacation for guys that wanted to just add clamping plates to their bench vise...

Hope everyone is enjoying their vises just as much as ME! I am delving into square filing chains soon!

You have a good idea with making vice jaw inserts, However there are so many different patterns of holes and you have to make a counter bore or a big countersink to make it work. Good idea but I don't know if it's feasible.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

... I'm curious if Mike could make a set of 8-10inch inserts for a 6-8 inch vise for sharpening? Guys could drill holes to fit their vice and would be an easy add...

Nathan,

Check out Post 34 in this thread: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/120500.htm
Different than the vises Mike has been developing in this thread, but similar to your idea.

Philbert

Two of you guys just ordered timberline friendly vises however i do not know your as handles . I think one is pa pa Jack and the other im lost on. Could you please send me a pm if you just ordered from me.
Thank you

Last edited:
I'm really liking the fact that you make a vice that will take roller guides and the Timberline.
Sorry about this question , but will that vice also take an ATOP square filing jig ? I'm not any where near home for the next week or so . But , if you're not sure , when I get back home , I could post mine to you .
All the best, John

I'm really liking the fact that you make a vice that will take roller guides and the Timberline.
Sorry about this question , but will that vice also take an ATOP square filing jig ? I'm not any where near home for the next week or so . But , if you're not sure , when I get back home , I could post mine to you .
All the best, John

To be honest with you I've never even held an atop filling jig. I would be interested in making one fit if I had one to use as a pattern to modify the vice.

ya know I get around several trades related sites and you see some wingin snarky stuff the sort of disappoints your that adults carrie on like that
BUT I get to see some really nice folks good blokes helpin others out and whats really good about it it that its so matter of fact so natural
good O t that yeah

nice really nice t see:clap:

ya know I get around several trades related sites and you see some wingin snarky stuff the sort of disappoints your that adults carrie on like that
BUT I get to see some really nice folks good blokes helpin others out and whats really good about it it that its so matter of fact so natural
good O t that yeah

nice really nice t see:clap:

And the best part is that he will get a discount on his vise for letting me borrow his file jig to make my prototype.

The Generation 3 vise showed up today. Used it and holy crap, it's much faster than sharpening a chain on the bar like I used to. Not doing that anymore...

Took me no time at all to clean up a 16" loop of 3/8" semi chisel chain.

Now I'm not gonna buy a little chain grinder like I thought. The vise alone takes up way less room too.

The Generation 3 vise showed up today. Used it and holy crap, it's much faster than sharpening a chain on the bar like I used to. Not doing that anymore...

Took me no time at all to clean up a 16" loop of 3/8" semi chisel chain.

Now I'm not gonna buy a little chain grinder like I thought. The vise alone takes up way less room too.

I was waiting for some feedback on the 3's I didn't know if anybody got to use one yet! I'm really glad that you like it.

As for Gen 4 goes I am going to pick up material this week hopefully Friday and Saturday I can get the first one done..

So now my quandary is do I make more 3s for the people that wanted 3's or do I make all Gen 4 now...:confused::confused:

Latest posts

Back