I made some chain vises

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, those are very nice. If they were about twice as long and had a quick clamping device on them if be begging you to send me one along with the bill.

these work great with the tapper that grabs the chain right at the top of the drive tooth. Mike put a lot of thought into these and it shows. I've used mine for all my personal chain and did a couple 3/8 30in chains last night. ability to tunnel and square file is huge bonus. I do agree with mark though... adding some extra length would make it nice to get 3-4 cutters or rakers at a time before advancing the chain.

Agree with Matt too... 1/4 turn is all you need from free to tight on the chain, wing nuts work great. if I changed anything it would be to weld a small lever to the wing nuts (pointed down and away from vise). However it wouldnt be b/c of dainty hands, it would be so you could quickly bump open and closed (speed). Either way they are great AS-IS for working chain or race chain!

Last edited:
Home lite you've done a nice job in making them simple to use sturdy construction and would appear to hold the chain steady
good O mate
If the ever found there way to the Australian market Id be happy to buy one

I would probably personalise it some as although Ive man hands :msp_wink: they are arthretic

Last edited:
Home lite you've done a nice job in making them simple to use sturdy construction and would appear to hold the chain steady
good O mate

I would probably personalise it some as although Ive man hands :msp_wink: they are arthretic

He did make it simple. That is the hard part.

He made it simple and elegant.

good O mate

I got a personalized original... And a second generation model...

289362d1365456489-clamp-jpg

The boy has used the crap out of this one...

Last edited:
Here is a typical example . . . . .

This adds extra cost to the vise!

McMaster-Carr

McMaster-Carr

Yep, something like that.

I like the wing nuts...

I have man hands...

And they're fast... 1/4 turn is all the difference between the chain sliding between the rails, and the chain being locked tight in place...

A lever may help those with delicate appendages like Mark...:msp_wink:
Being all dainty and stuff...
:big_smile:

Nice try, but these old hands have had a hard life, arthritis is stetting in, then there's that finger that was mashed in the log splitter that time, knuckles broken in fights. No there not delicate now days just wore out.

No little wing nuts wont work well for me and besides there slow.

I do agree with mark though... adding some extra length would make it nice to get 3-4 cutters or rakers at a time before advancing the chain.

Exactly not having to move the chain for every single cutter speeds things up a ton.

I actually have one that I made a few years back. Its steel and is used with the vice doing the clamping.

It can hold 4 cutters in a row to be done before it has to be moved. The biggest downfall is you have to have something on the side for it to set in the vice without falling through and its difficult to get it high enough off the vice to not interfere with the file.

The Clamp and cable from a bicycle brake would be enough if you made a stop to prevent overtravel.

I like the pedal idea. I have often thought that hydraulic disc brakes off a mountain bike would be a nice accessory for my grinder vise.

For this vise, I like the simplicity of the design, which cables or hoses would change. But cam clamps could work.

Philbert

I like the pedal idea. I have often thought that hydraulic disc brakes off a mountain bike would be a nice accessory for my grinder vise.

For this vise, I like the simplicity of the design, which cables or hoses would change. But cam clamps could work.

Philbert

After making production machines for assembly lines you always look and think......

Ragged edge of overkill, NO trickitus, muscle group that won't be injured, something that can become second nature.

I had a hel of a mentor.

If ya wanna do the cable thing let me know.

Philbert

You could do a hydraulic with spring return.

Piston into a hydraulic chamber. Real simple.

After making production machines for assembly lines you always look and think......

Ragged edge of overkill, NO trickitus, muscle group that won't be injured, something that can become second nature.

I had a hel of a mentor.

If ya wanna do the cable thing let me know.

Or they can just grow some "man hands"...
Sheesh... Even my 13 year old knows what that is...

But I know what you mean...:msp_wink:

Or they can just grow some "man hands"...
Sheesh... Even my 13 year old knows what that is...

But I know what you mean...:msp_wink:

Depends how much ya use it.

Ten minutes once a week .........or an hour plus a day.

I think I would go with pushing the foot pedal to release.
Then you could change your stance.

We were testing rivet pulling heads once.
A couple of hundred in plates was no problem.

But when they wanted 15,000 between jaw cleaning....

Whole new ball game.

Latest posts

Back