I made some chain vises

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the thought you put into your work. Steel vs aluminum. Steel should come in a good bit cheaper, possibly last longer. When you get Gen III done can I get on the list? Just pm the price to me.

Shea

Thanks Kenneth, I don't have tapatalk yet so my weekend as posts tend to slow down. I will pickup material Monday for the Gen 3 vises, and as for the cost between steel and aluminum, believe it or not cold formed steel is twice what I pay for aluminum... Hot rolled is prolly cheaper but sucks to machine and gives a crappy finish... If cost wasn't an issue I would make them out of stainless!!
:rock:

I received my vice today. It is the type with the wing nuts and two clamping sections as shown in the second picture of the first post.

Everything is as pictured and described. Very well made and perfectly satisfactory for my needs.

There's stihl three or four hours of day light left let's get one done.:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin: Mike just a ?? Why did you drop the radius of this longer model? I do like the idea of steel vs. aluminum.:rock:

My thought was to drop the radius because the guys that have had the most input on the gen 3 design seemed to want more cutters up to sharpen at once, and less interested in making race chain. I have a design rattling around in my head for "The Tunnel Buddy" which will only be the full radiused end with a handle nut for tunneling and freehand sq filing!

Since we haven't given you enough free input yet . . .

Your post in another thread got me thinking: are the 2 holes at the bottom of the Gen3 vise so that I can bolt it to something and use it without a bench vise?

It would be nice to be able to bolt it to a 2X6 (or whatever) and be able to adjust the filing height, in the vise or with clamps. Or I could clamp that piece of 2X6 to the side of a trailer and be able to file chains at a GTG type event.

You may already be ahead of me on this, but it would be easier for you to CNC mounting holes than for some of us to bore through cold rolled steel. Thanks.

Philbert

Since we haven't given you enough free input yet . . .

Your post in another thread got me thinking: are the 2 holes at the bottom of the Gen3 vise so that I can bolt it to something and use it without a bench vise?

It would be nice to be able to bolt it to a 2X6 (or whatever) and be able to adjust the filing height, in the vise or with clamps. Or I could clamp that piece of 2X6 to the side of a trailer and be able to file chains at a GTG type event.

You may already be ahead of me on this, but it would be easier for you to CNC mounting holes than for some of us to bore through cold rolled steel. Thanks.

Philbert

That was my intention for those! _

The vise works very well. A little bit slow to clamp and un-clamp, but holds the cutter very firm. I might try to go back to square filing:dizzy::dizzy:

The 10 dollar knobs are well worth it.

Thanks again,

Pete

You guys are getting me all excited. I can't wait for mine to get here. I've got a couple square chains and a brandy new square file to try out.

Okay boys, here's the cheapest price on a double-bevel square file I've found.

They're a Bahco/Sandvik company, the teeth are cut in Portugal (A lot of files are).

To keep their price in perspective, a similar file (like a Pferd, Vallorbe, etc) in town cost me $11.00 each.

Bahco 4-150-07-3-0 Sharpening Files

I used to sharpen with a bar clamped in a vise, and just moved the chain along as I did each cutter. Now I clamp for each cutter (or every 2 cutters) so it is a little slower than before. It is better clamped because I get a better edge on the cutter and the cutter does not rock or move at all whereas without clamping I would get a little rocking or wobble while filing.

The clamps are fast and strong, I don't want to sound like it is too slow. I am sure as I get a rhythm with practice I will increase my speed.

A couple members mentioned a foot pedal to operate the clamp. Doesn't sound simple or easy, maybe some type of bicycle cable brake contraption.

I relax and enjoy sharpening so speed is not a priority, and I only sharpen 10-15 chains a week when I am busy with wood.

Excellent device, I give it an A+.

Thanks again,

Pete

I used to sharpen with a bar clamped in a vise, and just moved the chain along as I did each cutter. Now I clamp for each cutter (or every 2 cutters) so it is a little slower than before. It is better clamped because I get a better edge on the cutter and the cutter does not rock or move at all whereas without clamping I would get a little rocking or wobble while filing.

The clamps are fast and strong, I don't want to sound like it is too slow. I am sure as I get a rhythm with practice I will increase my speed.

A couple members mentioned a foot pedal to operate the clamp. Doesn't sound simple or easy, maybe some type of bicycle cable brake contraption.

I relax and enjoy sharpening so speed is not a priority, and I only sharpen 10-15 chains a week when I am busy with wood.

Excellent device, I give it an A+.

Thanks again,

Pete

I catch your drift! Everything takes a lil getting used to. I thought at first you meant that there was something wrong with clamping mechanism.

Sad part about all this is I still only have a gen1...:dizzy:

Latest posts

Back