I made some chain vises

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my vise in the mail today. It looks every bit as good as the pics. I'd say I can't wait to try it, but truth is, it'll gather dust till I get back from vacation.

Pleasure doing business with you, Mike. Hope to see you again this fall in IA or perhaps AR...

Here is Gen 3 main body. I will get clamp cut this week and the HD version will be ready to ship.

You are a CNC guy - I get that.

But if you cut these out 3 pieces and laminated/spot welded the body, like a less expensive guide bar, do you think that you could also make these faster or less expensive? Use the mounting holes to register the parts.

Philbert

You are a CNC guy - I get that.

But if you cut these out 3 pieces and laminated/spot welded the body, like a less expensive guide bar, do you think that you could also make these faster or less expensive? Use the mounting holes to register the parts.

Philbert

Probably not. I have to work my products across the mill as time allows in between jobs as I am not going to tear down a company set up to make my vises. I am also doing this as hobby so I really dont want to push things too hard and get burned out if you know what I mean. I am still waiting on my order of handle nuts as well so I wouldn't be able to ship any right now if I did have them done. Also I have a family that is really important to me so that what time I do get at home I spend with them. All of my saw building/chain vise production is before work after work and on break times.

Thank you all for your patience and interest in this project!!

Hey Mike-

I was reading some earlier posts to learn there is a Gen3 HD and plain Gen3 ?
It appears Gen3 HD is for "Heavy Duty" and it has no relief at the top to allow for a husky "roller" style guide to be used?

If so -- I'm on your list for 2 x Gen3 vises and I will need one of them to be the "HD" variety since my brother doesn't use a guide at all for filing and I prefer to use the husky roller guide (the blue one w/ 2 rollers is for 3/8" chain) so mine would need to be the non-HD w/ the relief cut in it so I could use my husky roller guide.

Does this all make sense? Do I have this right?

If not, please clarify :)

Thanks,

-Eric

Hey Mike-

I was reading some earlier posts to learn there is a Gen3 HD and plain Gen3 ?
It appears Gen3 HD is for "Heavy Duty" and it has no relief at the top to allow for a husky "roller" style guide to be used?

If so -- I'm on your list for 2 x Gen3 vises and I will need one of them to be the "HD" variety since my brother doesn't use a guide at all for filing and I prefer to use the husky roller guide (the blue one w/ 2 rollers is for 3/8" chain) so mine would need to be the non-HD w/ the relief cut in it so I could use my husky roller guide.

Does this all make sense? Do I have this right?

If not, please clarify :)

Thanks,

-Eric

Perfectly clear I understand what you want and duly noted thank you:thumbup:

When do you think you will be able to most more pics of the Gen3 versus the Gen3HD?

I want one for sure, but want to see pics before I decide.

Thanks,

Waylan

When do you think you will be able to most more pics of the Gen3 versus the Gen3HD?

I want one for sure, but want to see pics before I decide.

Thanks,

Waylan

I will be working late tomorrow on the generation 3 vices. As soon as I have one of each done I will assemble them and get pictures up right away.

By the way how many of you are interested in a gen 3 HD?

Latest posts

Back