I prefer outboard Clutches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Votes for inboard clutches (for the sake of discussion):

- faster/easier to swap out a chain;
- easier to fit a tight chain loop;
- able to pull the powerhead off of a bar pinched in a log;
- easier/faster to change drive sprockets;
- I like all the chain brake stuff mounted on the saw body instead of on the side/clutch cover;
- clutch cover is easier to clean, cheaper to replace.

These are all maintenance things. Once the saw is up and running, I am happy to use either one as long as it is running smooth.

Philbert

That is all either minor advantages, or advantages just because it is what you are used to.

What is much more important is that a well built saw with an outboard will handle much better in many situations, because the bar is closer to the centre of mass.
Added advantages is better cooling and it is much easier to keep the clutch clean. Also there are less stress on the crankshaft, as the sprocket is closer to the clutch side crank bearing (less "arm" for any force generated on the sprocket).

That is all either minor advantages, or advantages just because it is what you are used to.

What is much more important is that a well built saw with an outboard will handle much better in many situations, because the bar is closer to the centre of mass.
Added advantages is better cooling and it is much easier to keep the clutch clean. Also there are less stress on the crankshaft, as the sprocket is closer to the clutch side crank bearing (less "arm" for any force generated on the sprocket).

Niko it took three full pages for you to weigh in on an outboard/inboard clutch thread. I sincerely hope that is not a sign you have been ill. As always, all the points you make are completely correct, however with the exception of "sideways balance" for small limbing saws, are likewise minor. Many people will argue that the 372xp and 044 are the best saws ever produced by the "big 2", and have millions of hours on them with no preponderance of crank/clutch failures. I personally prefer the inboard as I like to run different bigger sprockets with shorter bars, but this is minor as well. Stay healthy my friend

Niko it took three full pages for you to weigh in on an outboard/inboard clutch thread. I sincerely hope that is not a sign you have been ill. As always, all the points you make are completely correct, however with the exception of "sideways balance" for small limbing saws, are likewise minor. Many people will argue that the 372xp and 044 are the best saws ever produced by the "big 2", and have millions of hours on them with no preponderance of crank/clutch failures. I personally prefer the inboard as I like to run different bigger sprockets with shorter bars, but this is minor as well. Stay healthy my friend

:msp_biggrin::laugh: I have said many times that the only real design flaw with the 372xp is that it has an inboard clutch! It also is the only real flaw With the MS361. :givebeer:

However, it is much easier to live with it on a 70cc saw, than on a 50cc saw that is used a lot for limbing and similar.

Last edited:
Back