I ran Dolmar for 20 some odd years and then I joined AS....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtheo

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
And found out about these.

View attachment 170184

And these

View attachment 170185

I am not knocking Dolmar, but I did find out there are other good saws, and all the Dolmar dealers near me went out of business, so I am kinda glad I did join AS.
This is a great bunch of guys and always willing to help someone who knows very little. Kinda of like me for one.

Who can not even imbed the pictires, but I did try. Just didn't work for me.

Nice saws! It's interesting that you ran Dolmars for 20 years. For me, I never heard of Dolmar and/or Sachs-Dolmar until I found ArboristSite.

Nice saws! It's interesting that you ran Dolmars for 20 years. For me, I never heard of Dolmar and/or Sachs-Dolmar until I found ArboristSite.

Yeah no kidding, lol. I never heard of EFCO or SOLO either, lol. I can't go anywhere around here without seeing a Stihl sign.

Here's one of your pics embeded. It will cost you one of those orange things for me to tell you how to do it! LOL jk

170184d1296346307-003-jpg

Last edited:

There were two Sachs Dolmar dealers near me from 1984 until 1993, and then a lot dealers went out of business. I never did find out why.

They built very good saws and still do, but no dealers puts a crimp in for me. Besides I really like what I now have.

I like it, has to be better that the small one that came on it, and it makes the saw look better.
I have in mind putting a 372XPW top end on the saw.

With ya on the looks better, almost all of my cutting is green wood, taken in late fall or winter. Dusty conditions it is not, but like you said has to be better than the little one.
REJ2

Nice saws man.

as001.jpg

before AS I knew about Stihl and Husky and thought that Stihl are #1
them guys helped me pick a 346 XP (some more than others)
261 was scares then and even so I think I would went for the 346XP
wouldn`t mind having some Stihls and Jonsereds and Redmaxs and ...you name it.

20 years ago I was 9 years old and had only ever seen my Dads Poulan chainsaw and one very small Homelite, as far as I knew that was the only chainsaws. I now own a whole variety of saws and add more every chance I get. Dolmar is a very good brand of saw if you happen to have a local dealer, which I do not.

I don't see how anyone could run a saw for 20 years and never hear of Stihl or Husqvarna, unless they were dropped into the middle of the rain forest, or a deserted island.

Nice saws though by the way. (where's my Gum boots?)

I learned about Dolmar because of local dealer and this site. Told me to look online see what I could find out about the Dolmar line of saws. Found this site and have learned a lot more. I like my Dolmar's their some nice saws for the money.

I guess I was spoiled. I own Huskies, Stihls, a McCulloch, a Homelite and a Poulan. I used to own a Remington before it blew up. I've had the opportunity in KS and in Northern CA to use Jonsereds, Dolmars (with and without the Sachs prefix), Shindaiwas and Echos... Most of the different brand experience came before the age of Eighteen and what I own presently reflects the availability of GOOD dealer support. I would love to own a Dolmar though and may soon be picking up two J-red's!

Yup,

Best bang for the buck (or at least they used to be)

If you ever ran any of their hotrods, you can attest they had few peers in those catagories.

I heard about Dolmar about a year and a half ago. Came here, tried one out and now I reach for it before any others on my shelf. Of course that may change as I am now constantly adding more to the line up of every brand, the bigger the better. I do love that Dolmar though. It is a cutting SOB in any situation I have put it in. We have mostly hardwoods here like hard maple, red and white oak, shagbark and smooth bark hickory and plenty of ironwood. It has performed with no hiccups YET. I have used it for milling to firewood, if I could only keep one, that would be it.

I don't see how anyone could run a saw for 20 years and never hear of Stihl or Husqvarna, unless they were dropped into the middle of the rain forest, or a deserted island.

Nice saws though by the way. (where's my Gum boots?)

Well, I guess what I should have said was that I did not know they were such good saws until I started reading posts on AS.

Yup,

Best bang for the buck (or at least they used to be)

If you ever ran any of their hotrods, you can attest they had few peers in those catagories.

Right. I have owned Sach Dolmars 112, 116Si 120Si and 133.

As long as I had dealer support, there was no need to look for anything else.

They were a little heavy by todays standards, but they were fast, tough and reliable.

Latest posts

Back