I really want this tree.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boy... you sure stirred up a lot of trouble over something so non-controversial. Hopefully the wind will blow hard enough to knock the tree your way and knock the "holier than thou" right out of this thread.
Ironically I was going to make a comment about the "holier than thou" crowd this morning. I put up a thread simply for conversation a while back and the bandwagon jumped on me too.

Totally understood where 066 was coming from with his OP

Ironically I was going to make a comment about the "holier than thou" crowd this morning. I put up a thread simply for conversation a while back and the bandwagon jumped on me too.

I know..I posted a pic of a tree I couldn't cut!! Because it ain't on my property , or too close to call. And I get a lesson on how I should respect people's property rights.

I know..I posted a pic of a tree I couldn't cut!! Because it ain't on my property , or too close to call. And I get a lesson on how I should respect people's property rights.
welllll, there are SOME,,that are better than anyone else,,and their judgement,,is dead perfect...........................:dizzy::dizzy::laughing:

That's cuz there's folks on here egging you on, and you sure gave me the impression that you should be able to get it no matter what. That's how I read it and what with having to deal with "entitled to anything" firewooders, I will admit to being biased.

That's cuz there's folks on here egging you on, and you sure gave me the impression that you should be able to get it no matter what. That's how I read it and what with having to deal with "entitled to anything" firewooders, I will admit to being biased.
The firewood guys you deal with. Are they cutting on state and or federal land? If so, I suppose their just as entitled to the wood as anybody. And I'm not sure, but I thought I've read it on here that you are or were at one time a forester. If you worked for the state or federal government, those guys are paying your wages, ,, you work for them. If you were privately employed, please disregard. And if they cut up a nice fat log to provide heat for their family, and a lumber company misses out on a few 2×4's I think that's OK as well.

On second thought, pull the tree over, root ball and all from your property. That way you wont be caught tresspassing when you're sawing up the crown.
Don't take no crap from any woodlot owner. Lol

I looked it up. The Wa dnr said lumber companies are now taking the branches and other wood that used to be left for guys who purchased firewood permits. And in the same sentence they said the branches ,stumps ect. are essential for regrowth so they are limiting the firewood permits...Then tell the lumber companies to leave it behind. Not the good, hard working guys trying to heat their homes for their kids.

You really think that cutting a timber company's logs without permission is okay just because you want some firewood ?
First of all, you're breaking the law. If you're on the timber company's land without their okay you're trespassing. If the logs you cut are length prescribed for milling and are devalued by the removal of any of their length you've committed vandalism. If you take the wood you've cut, you're a thief pure and simple.
A lot of people have an attitude like yours. That's one of the reasons that we had to ban firewood cutters from our ground. The majority of firewood cutters are probably alright but people like you give us problems that we don't need.

You really think that cutting a timber company's logs without permission is okay just because you want some firewood ?
First of all, you're breaking the law. If you're on the timber company's land without their okay you're trespassing. If the logs you cut are length prescribed for milling and are devalued by the removal of any of their length you've committed vandalism. If you take the wood you've cut, you're a thief pure and simple.
A lot of people have an attitude like yours. That's one of the reasons that we had to ban firewood cutters from our ground. The majority of firewood cutters are probably alright but people like you give us problems that we don't need.
I live thousands of miles from you, you don't have to worry about me.. but I can see why their doing it. Leave them some branches. They must be desperate if they are willing to commit a crime for firewood.

I live thousands of miles from you, you don't have to worry about me.. but I can see why their doing it. Leave them some branches. They must be desperate if they are willing to commit a crime for firewood.

If they're desperate for firewood most counties in our area have firewood programs that donate wood to the needy. They're also free to scrounge firewood from available sources. They don't need to be stealing wood.

Most of the people we've caught cutting illegally on our land showed no signs of being impoverished and having no other options available to them. On the contrary, most of them were driving fairly new pickups, had nice saws, owned their own homes, were employed full time, and...after they were caught and cited by the sheriff's office...offered to pay us full value for the wood and the damage they'd caused if we'd drop the charges.

They weren't "desperate", they were lazy and they were opportunists. They were weekend warriors looking for a quick score. They could drive right up to a deck of our logs and cut a pickup full of excellent quality wood with little or no effort. The fact that we had Do Not Cut signs posted on the decks and No Trespassing signs on our property lines didn't bother them a bit. They even took the ends of the logs with a brand stamped in them.
As a rough rule of thumb...depending on which county they were in when they stole from us... they were fined a couple of thousand dollars by the court, their saws were seized as evidence, their pickups were impounded and they had to make restitution to us for the lost value of the logs. They had to give the wood back, too.
After the word got out that we would most definitely prosecute illegal wood cutters the incidents dropped off dramatically.

Do all firewood cutters steal? Of course not. We just don't have the time and manpower...or the inclination really...to baby-sit them and make sure they do the right thing. It's a lot less trouble just to prohibit cutting.

Ok, I don't think it's OK for anyone to steal wood. I thought maybe they were cutting trees that should have been left for timber or a stray log or something, not actually stealing or cutting off logs that were already cut and stacked. Thanks for the clarification.

The firewood guys you deal with. Are they cutting on state and or federal land? If so, I suppose their just as entitled to the wood as anybody. And I'm not sure, but I thought I've read it on here that you are or were at one time a forester. If you worked for the state or federal government, those guys are paying your wages, ,, you work for them. If you were privately employed, please disregard. And if they cut up a nice fat log to provide heat for their family, and a lumber company misses out on a few 2×4's I think that's OK as well.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::laughing:

Looks like there is still a lot of hot air blowing today... @066blaster you might have a chance at that ol' tree yet!

Once a farmer suspected me of timber trespass, so he called the cops and said the tree was worth 10 G's
When the police officer arrived on the scene, all that was left was a 20" stump.
He scratched his chin for a bit, then said,'How does a guy know what a trees worth when it's not there?'
Lol

Once a farmer suspected me of timber trespass, so he called the cops and said the tree was worth 10 G's
When the police officer arrived on the scene, all that was left was a 20" stump.
He scratched his chin for a bit, then said,'How does a guy know what a trees worth when it's not there?'
Lol
Heck,,I do own a stump grinder....lol

There seems to be a lot of responses to things that 066 DIDN'T say. All he said was there were a bunch of trees on the neighbor's property that he would like to cut, but the land owner didn't grant permission. He's just sharing his dead-tree envy with us. He's not devising dastardly schemes to thwart the will of the elderly couple.

Back