I rescued a 029 today couldn't stand it in a pile of 30 wildthings. The ugly pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, here she is FINALLY. I had a decent (not cracked) set of flattop 290 plastic, so I decided to use that and sand the 029 super stuff later. Still waiting on the Stihl emblem for the starter.

attachment.php

attachment.php

That doesn't look stock.

attachment.php

Pulls 18" 3/8 chain just fine. Sadly, I had to strip it down a second time. One of the crank bearings was just a bit growly. For $10 I couldn't send it away knowing it was messed up. Once I got it running, it was a biotch to tune, and stalled frequently at idle. I thought seals were bad. Press/vac test was very good though. Turns out that the coil was failing. New coil and it runs like a champ.

Wish I could do what you do Dr Saw! I am wondering, besides that you had the stuff lying around, why not upgrade to a 390?

Good job saw doc! With the dirko you put it to the interior edge of the cylinder, aren't you worried about excess breaking loose inside? Did you clean it up after you took the picture?

With permanent marker try using vodka or anything with a high concentration of ethanol.

:cheers:

I'm out of bullets for you, but this is a really nice thread with some SWEET pictures. Nicely done, sir! I usually apply a little sealant also to the outside diameter of the seals... it seems to help on used seals with those "witness lines" you were talking about.

To 7Sleeper, to upgrade to the 039 (this is a really good question, BTW), aftermarket jugs are not available for that model.. just the piston. I don't know what everyone else's experience with this is, but getting your hands on a used 039 jug is just not easy. I have an 039 in a box that I'm gearing up to rebuild and I'm REALLY hoping the jug is salvageable.. otherwise I might have to downsize it!!

I know a lot of people knock this model few a few reasons, but there is just no beating an 029/039 series saw for sheer serviceability. No case splitters, clutch removal tools, and you can even forget the flywheel puller if you take some care. At the end of it, you have a high-end saw that will last you forever with regular maintenance.

Last edited:
Wish I could do what you do Dr Saw! I am wondering, besides that you had the stuff lying around, why not upgrade to a 390?

Well, this one was for a friend. Since it was a give-away, I decided to use up some good 46mm stuff I had around. If it had been a "keeper" it would be wearing a 49mm top end ("lightened" of course,) and probably the old plastic.

I ended up changing a good bit of this saw out in the process. Probably would not have been a money maker to sell. Here is the list of salvagable stuff that I swapped just to get it done

Cylinder
Crank assy
Topcover and Airbox lid

This is the list of stuff I had to replace

Crank bearings (new)
Crank seals
Fuel line (new)
Air Filter
Tank Vent
Flywheel
Ignition coil
Piston and rings
Carb boot spacer
Carb grommet
Bar and chain

Good thing I have a box of (already paid for) spare 290 parts around. Probably was not such a good idea to have made that list. :dizzy:

Dirko vs. Permatex

Here is the seal installed in the same position as it was in the 290 motor. I'll have to work some Dirko back into the corner when I assemble.

attachment.php

Applying dirko. I had to hurry on this one so the sealant wouldn't start to harden while I was fooling with the camera. I apply a very light coat to both sides, and then put them together. Always wipe down the surfaces and edge of the crank seals with carb cleaner before this step.

attachment.php

d=1278194443[/IMG]

You have a great 029 rebuild thread here........found it when researching 029 info. Your pictures are awesome and very illustrative of that saw design(clamshell).

The question I have relates to the sealant/Dirko you are using. Is this a preferred sealant for chainsaw case assembly for any particular reason or would the Permatex orange hi-temperature silicone work just as well???

Permatex® High Temp RTV Silicone Gasket (81160) - Automotive Adhesives - Ace Hardware

VS.

Elring Dirko RTV Silicone Gasket Maker Compound

Back