I saw it on Ebay/Craigslist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
xtremez

xtremez

ArboristSite Guru
I think the parts for these are getting hard to find.

X2 what he said. I have one and ill tell you personally they are hard to get parts for. I got lucky and couple members here hooked me up with some parts. That saw on eBay will sell close to $700. If you are dead set on getting one I would scour Craigslist.

homelitejim

homelitejim

Full of Scrap
That's an 090 anywhere else in the USA, two times a MAC125, almost three times!

my cutting buddy tried a 32 inch bar on his 045AV and made one cut with it before taking it off and putting the 25 inch bar back on, and that was in the super soft woods of the PNW. The most I have ever paid for a 045 was $150 and I would probably not pay that much again.

cat-face timber

cat-face timber

Knot Bumper
I do not know anything about a Stihl 084, but I do know about having old saws that you can not find parts for.
To me, I just hate having a saw that does not run and I cannot find parts for.
It is one thing to be saving up money for parts that are easily found, but it is another thing to not be able to find parts, especially NOS parts.

Good luck..

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
its in good shape and with all the extra stuff its very close, not sure what a new one costs....

+1

I looks like its in nice shape; looks like a one-owner saw with limited use. No longer made, but most parts are still available. The case and extra chains are nice.

It probably won't last for long - it's a STIHL and it looks really clean. (You have also just brought it to the attention of 60,000 of your closest competitors!).

But the problem with eBay (versus CraigsList) is that you can't try the saw, check compression, look for a scored cylinder, etc. You also have to pay another $35 for shipping. Ask if the seller will post actual compression numbers, and a photo of the cylinder.

I think that the 024 is a nicer saw, but for the same $300 you could get a new MS 250 with a warranty (no case and one, maybe two chains).

Philbert

Latest posts