I saw it on Ebay/Craigslist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stihl 028 on craigslist

I just found a stihl 028 on craigslist for $265. I have never bought a used saw. Is this price decent? What are common things to look for as signs of poor maintenance? Sounds like everyone likes their 028s so I am hoping to pick this one up.

I just found a stihl 028 on craigslist for $265. I have never bought a used saw. Is this price decent? What are common things to look for as signs of poor maintenance? Sounds like everyone likes their 028s so I am hoping to pick this one up.

That sounds a tad high to me don't know if I'd give that for it. There is a difference between the028 and the 028 super. I gave $50 for one of our's it was straight gassed put a new piston in it. The other one was $125 and runs and looks great.
The 028wb we have is 33 years old and I just freshened up the top end and it's Stihl going strong. If you run good mix and look after them like a good woman and keep um clean and sharp they will serve you well for a long time.
Our's are not door stops or boat anchors they are run almost daily. We average about 15 gallons of Av fuel a week in the cooler months, and 5 or 6 in the summer, depends on storms and such.
Look at the overall shape of the saw is it clean or cruddy. Is it all beat up, scratched up, paint gone, or gouged up. If so it may have been abused. It's hard to tell on an e-bay saw that you can't put in your hands. The one you see the picture of may not be what ends up at your house. To sum it up look at my sig. I like um, I run um, there for I buy all the older ones I can get my hands on. If the saw looks good it may be worth the price if it runs out good.

$222.50 and 5 days to go

I wish I could see the list of watchers on that big 'un up right now. I bet the snipers will be SMOKING in a few days. Sorry, no link.

Back