I seek your wisdom: Tree hung up in another tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would it be safer, instead of cutting the hanger or the tree it's hung in, to cut a third tree and use it to knock the hanger down? (and a fourth if the third hangs on the first, and so on and so on until there aren't enough trees left to be a nuisance)

I understand your predicament. Sounds like you have some good reasons to get rid of them. They make the area unsafe. The fencepost method uses two cuts on the top and the bottom so the butt of the tree falls to the ground. Usually with enough force and the help of the angled saw cuts they can stick firmly like a fencepost. If they don't lay down the method is repeated. As has been stated, when this happens you are right next to the tree. Not ideal. If you make the cuts and use a truck to pull the rope you are able to get away with cutting less. You can use some redirects like a snatch block to get hard to reach places. Are there any small ones in a more open area you can experiment on? I hesitate to offer a number because they can all be dangerous, but something in the 6" diameter range?

Would it be safer, instead of cutting the hanger or the tree it's hung in, to cut a third tree and use it to knock the hanger down? (and a fourth if the third hangs on the first, and so on and so on until there aren't enough trees left to be a nuisance)

You could easily end up with a 'jackpot' that is so bound together you need a loader or crane to safely break it apart.

Whenever possible, I cut them from the bottom up, taking off 5' at a time. Once you cut it to an almost vertical position, then pull it back with a rope.

I can tell you how I ended up with a 4 titanium plates, 20 screws, and a helicopter flight cutting a leaner.

I knew the dangers, but was a still too confident, too much in a hurry to let logic step in on such a small tree (about 10" white oak). It about tore my head off.

I don't get in a hurry anymore. I don't get paid to cut anymore, and if it I am not quite confident that I can do it safely - I don't do it. I've had to call in friends to help. I have been told "Leave it - ones hung like that I only winch with the dozer".

I wouldn't do it even if I found out...seems totally out of my league. But it does have mystique now, you know? Plus they made it sound about as dangerous and sensible as pissing on a sleeping grizzly.

If I were you,I would come up with a couple of bucks and have TREESLAYER help you out and at the same time learn a few skills that could save your ass later on down the road.

Good luck.:chainsaw:

MMmmk so, though this is the newbie thread

estimates from licensed arborists that have quoted her $10,000 or more to completely clean up the land around her house. She can't afford that right now.

Is there a way I can get some of those hung-up trees down without cutting down the other trees that they're hanging on?

It's just hose hanging trees.

Thanks for reading, and I've got a new-found respect for tree work.

What is the diameter of most of these hung trees?
Picture would be awesome.
Mark and number trees in question and then get a quote on JUST having them safely put on the ground for you, and you can do all the rest. Watch the work being done if poss. so next time one or more tips, you will have many more hours on the chainsaw and know if you want to attempt them. Perhaps a quote on taking only the most difficult one down while you watch from a distance? Keep in mind, some pros can make it look oh so easy...

Good luck!

I'll be in VA in a week or so, and for a modest flat rate I'll come out for a day and knock em all down, and show you the secret trick.:cheers:

Come out to a real show, and we'll give you a free lesson....

Go out to the Oregon Coast and buck blow down, then get back to us Mr. Cocky. :)

If I don't have the tractor and chain handy to pull them down, I just take four to five foot off at a time until it is almost vertical and then use a chain and the old flatbed to pull them down. They can be damned dangerous, we did a oak last fall that scared the crap out of me about a 32" tree, cut it unitl it was almost vertical and it still took a 125 hp 4wd drive tractor to get the thing down, there was an ungodly amount of pressure on the trunk. It was a blowdown and had a fork wedged tight against another tree. I wish I had taken photo's of a top we cut up last week a big oak limb probably 16-18 " had wedged against another tree when it fell, I stood on the main trunk and cut it into, it just hung there wedged, went back to pick up a trim saw and it let go after I had taken about 15 steps crashing into the ground, it would have missed me if I were standing there, but it hit with a thump. You can never be too careful, walk away and live another day if you don't feel confident in your abilities.

not a problem, I could do em. Except I make a lot more $$ here.
I've done enough big trees, 4'+ DBH and 100"+ to know I'm good at it.:cheers:

Good, stay there. Nothing like working with a cocky green horn, which is what you would be out here.

Last edited:
Poof! Another thread bursts in flames!

Slayer, things are getting better. Last time the HO you tried to help/advise was blasting you.

Love that internet!

details behind the risks of hung trees

It might help to understand some of the details behind the risks.

One of the worst scenarios is where a hung tree is under lateral (sideways) pressure but it may not be obvious that this is the case. The larger the tree the more easily the pressure is hidden. When a cut is made that releases the pressure (say removing the bottom 4') the tree swings like a bat swung by paul bunyan and turns living beings into jelly whilst launching them dozens of feet.

Another scenario is where the branches on either the fallen tree or the holding tree break due to vibration or a bad mood, releasing the tree. The tree may fall straight down, but more likely will roll off the holding tree. If the cutter is one the receiving side of the roll he may become one with the forest floor.

Fenceposting is where you successively cut portions off the lower end of the hing tree until it falls. This is dangerous because with each cut you change the nature of the pressures on the tree, risking an unpredictable release. There is no truly safe way to fencepost - although folks do it every day and survive, it is simply not safe.

Norther Tool sells 4 ton cable come-alongs for $40 +/-, combine that with some towing chain or a good bull rope and you can pull hangers down with relative safety without spending a lot of money. Pay attention to your anchor tree so that you don't pull it on top of you :)

all I ever do is offer honest advice from my experienced perspective.
People who make stupid comments get the benefit of my experience as a cynical, jaded type A personality as well. :)

burvol, no need to be an a$$, or are you just jealous? :cheers:
The secret trick is read the wood. you obviously know how, and I was teasing the guy a little. I would show up and help out a neighbor, and give him an education based on my many years of cutting pressurized wood.

you wanna pick a fight? whatever. go back to your ax-men reruns buddy.
no way would I go anywhere and take a job where someone would consider me a greenhorn.:laugh: cocky is a good thing for a climber, when combined with experience.
my company motto is NO PU$$IES ALLOWED. so for you, NOT HIRING.:hmm3grin2orange:

I go somewhere new for a storm and I hire experienced people local, and bring in guys I know are way above average for the crane work and hazard climbing.
And I climb and takedown the trees that everybody yells crane at.:cheers:

all I ever do is offer honest advice from my experienced perspective.
People who make stupid comments get the benefit of my experience as a cynical, jaded type A personality as well. :)

burvol, no need to be an a$$, or are you just jealous? :cheers:
The secret trick is read the wood. you obviously know how, and I was teasing the guy a little. I would show up and help out a neighbor, and give him an education based on my many years of cutting pressurized wood.

you wanna pick a fight? whatever. go back to your ax-men reruns buddy.
no way would I go anywhere and take a job where someone would consider me a greenhorn.:laugh: cocky is a good thing for a climber, when combined with experience.
my company motto is NO PU$$IES ALLOWED. so for you, NOT HIRING.:hmm3grin2orange:

I go somewhere new for a storm and I hire experienced people local, and bring in guys I know are way above average for the crane work and hazard climbing.
And I climb and takedown the trees that everybody yells crane at.:cheers:

Good for you. I don't want to be a residential tree worker, and I am not jealous of wannabe urban loggers. I just think that being cocky is one of the most irritating ways to operate as a human being. Been many people killed that way in my line of work.

Axemen is fake. I don't need to watch that crap, I live the real thing. As far as your motto, I don't think you understand.

I was never picking a fight, just stating that being cocky is dumb way to go about a dangerous proffession. I have personally known people that are dead because of this.

Good for you. I don't want to be a residential tree worker, and I am not jealous of wannabe urban loggers. I just think that being cocky is one of the most irritating ways to operate as a human being. Been many people killed that way in my line of work.

Axemen is fake. I don't need to watch that crap, I live the real thing. As far as your motto, I don't think you understand.

I was never picking a fight, just stating that being cocky is dumb way to go about a dangerous proffession. I have personally known people that are dead because of this.

ok, I agree. Why I said cocky mixed with experience. :D

My motto thing is mostly a screen for wannabe climbers. I see a lot of stupidity in this business traveling, and seen way too often what saws and trees do to the human body. sorry to come across so strong, I'm snowed in AGAIN, and frustrated.

ok, I agree. Why I said cocky mixed with experience. :D

My motto thing is mostly a screen for wannabe climbers. I see a lot of stupidity in this business traveling, and seen way too often what saws and trees do to the human body. sorry to come across so strong, I'm snowed in AGAIN, and frustrated.

It aint snowing here mate. It is over 100 degrees for the next 5 days though...

Maybe you aint man enough for the hardcore Aussie treework!

Latest posts

Back