I upgraded the old wood hauler today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to thank everyone for their kind words and the ideas for improvements. Even met somebody from my neck of the woods.

I have looked at all of your photos and still can not find an old truck. I don't think it qualifies as an "Old Truck" until it has seen 20 years or more.

This seems like a good spot to insert a photo of today's work. The wood is Cedar Juniper. I looked and looked for used metal stake sides for this 88 one ton, but gave up and made these wood sides earlier this year. They don't look all nice and new anymore like yours do, but they have worked out quite well.
attachment.php

Very nice job.

Here in NY the politicians have corrupted our police into revenue generators with guns so you see wood hauling trucks getting pulled over and weighed quite often.

One more reason I like living in the Mountain West.

Perfect wood hauling truck. Just old enough that if it gets a scratch no worries, and new enough that it'll be reliable. Plus you gotta' like the hubs on the F250/350's of that time period, as my old buddy used to say, "You don't have to pick up the tail on that to tell it's a boy!".

BTW.. What yr is your ford Spoon? I have a 94 f150 4x4 with a flatbed. Straight 6-300cu. 5 spd. I'm not a ford fan at all. But got a really good deal on it. So what the heck. It's just a wood getting truck. I only use it to pull a 16' tandem axel flatbed. Maybe someday I'll put another set of leaf springs in the back. So far so good.

BTW.. What yr is your ford Spoon? I have a 94 f150 4x4 with a flatbed. Straight 6-300cu. 5 spd. I'm not a ford fan at all. But got a really good deal on it. So what the heck. It's just a wood getting truck. I only use it to pull a 16' tandem axel flatbed. Maybe someday I'll put another set of leaf springs in the back. So far so good.

My Ford is a 95. That straight six 300 is an awesome motor. I had a 86 Ford with it. Loved it. The bad thing is it was a 4 speed. Low geared, I could have pulled a house with it.

My Ford is a 95. That straight six 300 is an awesome motor. I had a 86 Ford with it. Loved it. The bad thing is it was a 4 speed. Low geared, I could have pulled a house with it.

I used the crap out of it last sunday skidding a hickory out of a gully! 4x4 Low is great.

I have looked at all of your photos and still can not find an old truck. I don't think it qualifies as an "Old Truck" until it has seen 20 years or more.

This seems like a good spot to insert a photo of today's work. The wood is Cedar Juniper. I looked and looked for used metal stake sides for this 88 one ton, but gave up and made these wood sides earlier this year. They don't look all nice and new anymore like yours do, but they have worked out quite well.
attachment.php

One more reason I like living in the Mountain West.

Very nice work horse. I thought about going that high with my side rails, but I figured it would probably end up causing me to break an axle. :biggrinbounce2:

:agree2::agree2:

they made a mistake when they discontinued that engine

Guess I'll keep it for a while. She does ok hauling the 16' trailer around here in the woods. Gotta shift her down to 3rd going up some hills here and it can get a little slow, but I really don't want to go too fast. With the hills here we have curves. And I don't like slamming on the brakes with 4-6000 lbs behind me!!! :censored:

Well I am a little disappointed. I tried out the new side boards. They worked perfectly. I loaded the truck up. I got home with my load and grabbed the camera and snapped some photos. I then hand split half of it. Well I went to take the photos of the sd card and what do you know nothing. My wife is going to be pissed because she never takes any of the photos off it and since I was the last to use it, it will be my fault. Tomorrow I will snap a photo of the half load and you all can use your imagination. Love the racks and it was a beauiful day to split. I felt like I touched the wood a thousand times thou. First I loaded the truck and brought it home. Then I pulled it off and split it. I then loaded it back on the truck and took it to my Dad's to store it there. I will enjoy splitting the rest of it after work this week. I promise to post pics tomorrow because I know if there are no pics it did not happen.

Well I am a little disappointed. I tried out the new side boards. They worked perfectly. I loaded the truck up. I got home with my load and grabbed the camera and snapped some photos. I then hand split half of it. Well I went to take the photos of the sd card and what do you know nothing. My wife is going to be pissed because she never takes any of the photos off it and since I was the last to use it, it will be my fault. Tomorrow I will snap a photo of the half load and you all can use your imagination. Love the racks and it was a beauiful day to split. I felt like I touched the wood a thousand times thou. First I loaded the truck and brought it home. Then I pulled it off and split it. I then loaded it back on the truck and took it to my Dad's to store it there. I will enjoy splitting the rest of it after work this week. I promise to post pics tomorrow because I know if there are no pics it did not happen.

LOL We trust you. I didn't get any cutting done today. I fetched a go cart for my kids Christmas present. However, if the rain isn't too bad I'm going to go cut up 5-6 oaks. I don't think I'll be loading them up though tomorrow. Just gonna go cut them up. The trailer is still full of the hickory I got last week. I want to pull the wood off of it and split it. Instead of dumping it, then splitting it, then stacking it. Like to handle it as little as possible.

Beautiful day though. As was yesterday. Mannnnnn...

LOL We trust you. I didn't get any cutting done today. I fetched a go cart for my kids Christmas present. However, if the rain isn't too bad I'm going to go cut up 5-6 oaks. I don't think I'll be loading them up though tomorrow. Just gonna go cut them up. The trailer is still full of the hickory I got last week. I want to pull the wood off of it and split it. Instead of dumping it, then splitting it, then stacking it. Like to handle it as little as possible.

Beautiful day though. As was yesterday. Mannnnnn...

The go carts are awesome gifts. Just remember to explain how to release the gas when turning. My son was going like greased lightning and tried to turn while gassing it on grass. Went thru a barb wire fence. It was gaucho wire. Really sharp. Luckily the front of the cart lifted up the wire. He ended up just getting laceration to his scalp. This happened on memorial day, labor day or 4th of July so we called urgent care (Smith Glynn). Can you believe it they did not have a doctor that could do stitches. What the crap? We were blessed again that they really did not scar and healed up fine.

I live in town and have a very limited amount of space to store my firewood. So out to Dad's I go. I have two cord here and probably about the same there that is ready to burn. A buddy said if I need more to get thru this year he will give it to me. I said that I would pay him for it, but he is not having any of it. So I plan on atleast replacing it.

Next comes the dump truck/trailer. Then the splitter. Then the loader. Then, one day, you see a nice big striaght log, and think "if only i had a sawmill"... There is an affliction much worse than any CAD out there.

My Dad has a bobcat so I have been eyeing a dump trailer already. I can see what you mean. That splitter thing keeps rolling around my mind, but then I remember hand spllitting is part of my exercise program.

Well my sd card died last time, so I got another full load of wood. I snapped some pics. It was already dark so the pics are alittle fuzzy. The truck squatted a little but the truck drove perfect.

100_1170.jpg

100_1169.jpg

100_1168.jpg

Now that's what I call a nice load. were did you get your flatbed from,name brand?

Beefie

P.S. I sent ya some rep on a nice job you did.

Last edited:
Now that's what I call a nice load. were did you get your flatbed from,name brand?

Beefie

P.S. I sent ya some rep on a nice job you did.

I bought the truck used and it was on there. I don't recall seeing a name plate on it. If I find one I will let you know. Thanks for the rep.

Well my sd card died last time, so I got another full load of wood. I snapped some pics. It was already dark so the pics are alittle fuzzy. The truck squatted a little but the truck drove perfect.

100_1170.jpg

100_1169.jpg

100_1168.jpg

Looks great.

I am thinking about adding some side rails to my Chevy 2500hd. How hard do you guys think it would be to make some that are removable. Wife drives the truck most of the time and probably would not be happy if they were permanent. She is a nurse and drives the truck to work most of the time. I do have access to a trailer but I have to drive about 12 miles to grab it. It would be nice to have something that I could throw on or off with relative ease.

Looks great.

I am thinking about adding some side rails to my Chevy 2500hd. How hard do you guys think it would be to make some that are removable. Wife drives the truck most of the time and probably would not be happy if they were permanent. She is a nurse and drives the truck to work most of the time. I do have access to a trailer but I have to drive about 12 miles to grab it. It would be nice to have something that I could throw on or off with relative ease.

Medic, you'd do well to have Wood doctor point you to the thread showing off his racks and copy them. Really neat looking, pinned together, and look pretty easy off and on. I've had a few different racks for hauling critters and they all had weak points, some more than others.

The bad thing about racks for firewood is that all the wood has to go over them or in/out the back.

Back