I was just given a Pioneer P62

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurtty

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
an old guy i work with just gave me the saw and said "i want her to go to a good home".
he has a shoulder injury from a few years ago and he can no longer pack this thing around. when he pulled it out of his car it started on the 2nd pull.
there is only one thing Wong with it. It wont oil the chain. but i cant look at it until i get a puller to remove the clutch. i manually oiled the chain then made 1 cut in a 32" black poplar. i thought "wow this is the most torque i have ever felt on a saw".
i can tell it needs some slight carb adjustments but other than that it runs/starts very well.
so did i do good?
is this saw any good? it sure feels like it has torque.
ill attach some pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I haven't had to use a puller on the P series saws yet. Remove the clutch nut and it may slide right off. It is splined to the crank and no press fit. If it is a little tight, try a little penetrating oil and tap lightly on the back of the clutch drum. You may find the thread for the oil pump is bad or most likely the plastic gear in the pump. Don't just jerk the pump out because the intake hose and filter will snake out a hole when you pull the pump away from the body. Clean, inspect, repair and replace then go to cutting with a reed saw that is old but still powerful even against most modern saws.

P62

Hello Kurtty
That is one great saw you have there.Pioneerguy600 has already responded to your thread I see.just wait till propliner finds out about the freebie LOL.Do you think you could stick your Pioneer saw thread in the Pioneer chainsaw collecting thread.Not trying to tell you what to do,just think you may get more attention there.No offense I hope rupedoggy!
Lawrence

Drain the tank(s) first

The only problem I have ever had with these saws is with the oilers. If you drain the oil tank, you may find that the inlet hose for the pump has rotted and dropped into the tank. There should be a filter at the end of the hose also. On one of mine, two filters came out when I drained it. Interesting. It pumped oil fine after I replaced the hose. Unfortunately, I had to pull the pump to get the lines back in.

When I pulled the pumps on mine, I had to use a two armed puller to get the clutches off, but they weren't very tight.

Pay attention to the plumbing also. The manual override oiler is connected into the main pump. If any of the lines have even small holes in them, it can cause problems with the pump's ability to move the oil.

Congratulations on your saw. I thoroughly enjoy both of mine.

I haven't had to use a puller on the P series saws yet. Remove the clutch nut and it may slide right off. It is splined to the crank and no press fit. If it is a little tight, try a little penetrating oil and tap lightly on the back of the clutch drum. You may find the thread for the oil pump is bad or most likely the plastic gear in the pump. Don't just jerk the pump out because the intake hose and filter will snake out a hole when you pull the pump away from the body. Clean, inspect, repair and replace then go to cutting with a reed saw that is old but still powerful even against most modern saws.
ill try some penetrating oil then. but that thing seems to be stuck on there pretty darn good. but atleast i know that if i do need a puller it will be very easy to remove.

Hello Kurtty
That is one great saw you have there.Pioneerguy600 has already responded to your thread I see.just wait till propliner finds out about the freebie LOL.Do you think you could stick your Pioneer saw thread in the Pioneer chainsaw collecting thread.Not trying to tell you what to do,just think you may get more attention there.No offense I hope rupedoggy!
Lawrence

sure i can, ill toss it into the pioneer thread when i get home from work today

The only problem I have ever had with these saws is with the oilers. If you drain the oil tank, you may find that the inlet hose for the pump has rotted and dropped into the tank. There should be a filter at the end of the hose also. On one of mine, two filters came out when I drained it. Interesting. It pumped oil fine after I replaced the hose. Unfortunately, I had to pull the pump to get the lines back in.

When I pulled the pumps on mine, I had to use a two armed puller to get the clutches off, but they weren't very tight.

Pay attention to the plumbing also. The manual override oiler is connected into the main pump. If any of the lines have even small holes in them, it can cause problems with the pump's ability to move the oil.

Congratulations on your saw. I thoroughly enjoy both of mine.

right on! thanks for the tips man.
ill try to find time to tear into it after work today. hopefully the penatrating oil has made its way into the clutch by then and it slides off nice and easy.
i think i might just replace all the oil hoses on it and see if that will fix it.

thanks for replying guys.
happy cuttin.

Latest posts

Back