i wont look at these little poulans the same anymore

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to cut wood with a guy who used a wood shark Poulon for firewood
To be honest I don't know how anybody could even remotely think these are worth more than 50 bucks .the things are so slow and weak it looks like it was almost made to fail from the factory. Not trying to be disagreeable on the subject but that was my experiences

I get a lot of them now and then when I am schmoozing saws, got three poulans this week..ya, seen the gamut from meh to this thing rips! Just depends.

Get a nice tight one, open the muff, give it some more H, you can get rpms out of them, they will sling some chips..

Personally I like saws that are not all plastic case. With that I do have one PP4218AVX that I have rebuilt. The cylinder was destroyed and during my research into prices for the cylinder I found that could upgrade it to NCC cylinder and gain a little more torque. I have found that the saw has plenty power for me; although, I could have brought a new one for a little more than what it cost me to rebuild it. It was a good training exercise for me.

I have always use the smaller saws when compare some I read about here. A great many cords of firewood has been cut over my lifetime using Homelites, McCulloughs, Poulans and Huskies. All have gave me good service and for most home users great service provided that they are properly maintain. The largest saw that I own was the Homelite C-52 but it proved to be more my bad back stand for length of time.

This just my 1/2 cent worth.

btw this forum has help me learn more about chainsaws that I can apply at work. Thanks fellow techs.:)

O.T.O.H., the 18" full skip takes less time to sharpen by hand than a 14.

Lot fewer cutters I think. L.O.L.
I ground off all the shark fins on an old loop of the full skip lo pro (I was bored one day). It was rough and quite slow - then I hit a rock and that mercifully ended the experiment.

Now I have a 16" loop of skip lo pro that came with some saw I bought - I might do the same with that and see if my pole saw can pull it!

This is the little Poulan you want...

wow!..........NOS?, i had one in near new condition that i sold several years ago, i guess i'm just board playing with these little strat versions, i think i'm going to take both the 3816 and my husky 435 out to compare the two later today, after i put a real chain on the 3816, guess what i like besides how good they can run is that there's boat loads of them out there and parts are dirt cheap as well..............

Someone post a link to a muff mod. for the muffler on the strato version, please.

Or, tell me the muffler from the early saw will bolt in place of this crimped together junk.

Needs to sound like a saw instead of a leaf blower.

Someone post a link to a muff mod. for the muffler on the strato version, please.

Or, tell me the muffler from the early saw will bolt in place of this crimped together junk.

Needs to sound like a saw instead of a leaf blower.

all i did so far is remove the front baffle plate and screen, then opened up the outlets with a large flat blade screwdriver, trust me, it doesn't sound like a leaf blower, not sure yet if the other mufflers will fit, but they sure look like they should..............

Two questions, (1) Unless I missed it and I may have how do you tell the difference between a strato and non? (2) can you do something with some rubber to help out the Buzzzzz you get from a non av poulan ? Jeff

Two questions, (1) Unless I missed it and I may have how do you tell the difference between a strato and non? (2) can you do something with some rubber to help out the Buzzzzz you get from a non av poulan ? Jeff
It can be hard to tell from the outside. They usually have a bit taller top cover, but the real tell is the extra throttle plate inside. They have been strato for quite a while now, so any newer ones will be.

As far as reducing the buzz - there are a lot of A/V variants sold as Craftsman, and given the cost I can't see trying to re-engineer one. If you have a good engine then keep an eye out for one with a blown engine and combine the parts.

all i can say is wow!.......just ran the livin crap out of this thing, i didn't hold back either, before heading to the woods i put on a non skip chain with a fresh edge and dropped the rakers a little more than i normally would, saw ran great the whole time even with taking a larger bite with the lowered rakers, took down one small cherry and one small ash then one good size ash still live but on it's way to die, it was about 16" at the base of the tree, the tree got stuck in another so i had to keep cutting piece by piece on an angle until i was able to free it, the saw handled that issue quite well dispite being nearly pinched on each of those cuts, (all under cuts), not only was impressed with how it cuts, i still had gas to spare after cutting all of it, i can tell this saw runs as well as my 435 husky, at least very darn close if not better..................:dizzy:

It can be hard to tell from the outside. They usually have a bit taller top cover, but the real tell is the extra throttle plate inside. They have been strato for quite a while now, so any newer ones will be.

As far as reducing the buzz - there are a lot of A/V variants sold as Craftsman, and given the cost I can't see trying to re-engineer one. If you have a good engine then keep an eye out for one with a blown engine and combine the parts.
I have seen some saws with what looks like two throttle bodies stacked on each other , one butterfly under the other . Is this strato? I want to say I have seen it on stihl or husky ??? something other than a poulan I am sure at least I think I am sure.

The complete saw in the back can be seen on youtube (farley9n)running with a muffler and .325/7 chain. It's also on the Pacific Northwest GTG Facebook page racing for the GTG Championship which it won! There's only two of us so it's sort of a "Big Grin" title which I'm in danger of losing big time this year! The 2nd version pictured apart so far hasn't been very impressive........Bob

I have seen some saws with what looks like two throttle bodies stacked on each other , one butterfly under the other . Is this strato? I want to say I have seen it on stihl or husky ??? something other than a poulan I am sure at least I think I am sure.

yep, sounds like you're on the right track, it's actually the carb below and the air induction pipe above, at least in this case it is, i can't think of any other set ups that are different, someone enlighten me if there is..........

Latest posts

Back