I would like to learn the skills of a arborist.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlgreenman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Dylan I am from Pa im only 18 so i still have time to learn. Sitting behind a desk or being inside all day is not for me at all. I would like to get in to tree care. Should I get a job working for someone or what? I want to be able to start my own tree care service someday. How should I go about this? Please help. Thanks!

since your 18 i would try to get a job with a local tree company and they will be able to help you get on the right path.

It never ends,,:dizzy:
Jeff

Be nice! Just for a change. :msp_biggrin:

I'll move this to 101 and, if you don't want the newbies, greenies, winos, dinos, dingbats, and other assorted unskilled miscreants to give this kid bad information you ought to just truck on down there and help out. :msp_biggrin:

Note O.P.....if Jeff tells you something, listen.

Last edited:
You have to have a strong determination and desire, work for a certified , reputable company and follow the winners, read the right books, the ISA cert arborist study guide and jeff Jepsoms books to fell a tree and a climbers companion are among them, there are many things that can kill you, and formal training and skill are the best ppe (personal protective equipment). purchase the best ppe you can, If you knew what you must do to get to be a production climber, and be a talented Arborist you would pick another career, cos it means intense concentration, long days, continuous training, and an out right dedication...its a purpose driven life, you will lie awake at night strategizing next days complicated rigging. If you stay the course which few can , and you say want to own a tree service you stand to command $175 per hr.

you really gotta be your own drill seargent

You have to have a strong determination and desire, work for a certified , reputable company and follow the winners, read the right books, the ISA cert arborist study guide and jeff Jepsoms books to fell a tree and a climbers companion are among them, there are many things that can kill you, and formal training and skill are the best ppe (personal protective equipment). purchase the best ppe you can, If you knew what you must do to get to be a production climber, and be a talented Arborist you would pick another career, cos it means intense concentration, long days, continuous training, and an out right dedication...its a purpose driven life, you will lie awake at night strategizing next days complicated rigging. If you stay the course which few can , and you say want to own a tree service you stand to command $175 per hr.

you really gotta be your own drill seargent

I think if its what I want ill get it... I went from being the fat little kid in middle school to becoming a state medalist in high school for track in both the 800m (half mile) and 1600m (full mile) I won gold in the 800m with a time of 1:51.36. I run about 40 miles a week while going 2 school.

I think if its what I want ill get it... I went from being the fat little kid in middle school to becoming a state medalist in high school for track in both the 800m (half mile) and 1600m (full mile) I won gold in the 800m with a time of 1:51.36. I run about 40 miles a week while going 2 school.

Not to make you upset, but what does this have to do with tree work?
You are thinking way too far ahead. You can search this topic in the search box and save a lot of restrained light jabbing.
Otherwise, if you got time, come out to San Diego and fill out an application. :msp_wink:
Jeff

That's impressive and you should be proud...but it means absolutely zip to a prospective employer, other than the fact that you're probably in fair shape. If you mention your track times to a crew boss he'll probably just nod and say...'well good, trot yourself over to the drop zone and start dragging brush'

It's more a willingness to work and the ability to listen to direction that makes a new guy stand out.

I think if its what I want ill get it...

Many people your age (and older) have no idea what job they want, so you're a step ahead of them.
Do your homework (learn knots and the basics: buy "Tree Climber's Companion" from one of this site's sponsors).
Get a tree ID book. Embrace Shigo. Bend with the Force.

You guys are so nice .....it makes me want to puke!:laugh:

18 and knows what he wants to do? When I got into tree work I just wanted a job doing something outside? I still don't know what I want to do.

If you apply with a larger company, can you pass a whiz quiz? Do you have a clean driving record and the ability to get a CDL? If yes to all three questions, this will put you ahead of the majority of applicants.

When i first went to Asplundh they were gonna hire 8 people and out of 8 of us 4 didn't pass the drug test and 2 couldn't get a CDL so only me and another guy got hired out of that group.

Be willing to learn. Be willing to work hard. Be willing to keep your trap shut and listen to the guys that have been on the crew. 18 year old kid that has been on our crew for a year has earned our respect. I think he's one in a million. Read as much as you can. Get a subscription to TCIA mag. It's a great trade until your body breaks down. Then you can do PHC!

2 cents

hope it works out for you... most dont make it... listen to these guys... they will help you out... stay focused... hang your pole saw away from you... look up... and check your balls for ticks.....

Latest posts

Back