ID this wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with the Swamp white oak and gum clan.

My friend has a lot of swamp whites on his property and they can have shaggy bark like that. The wood grain is a dead give away of oak just by the looks of it and deep color.

The #2 species matches the sweet gum quite well. I know black gum is terrible to split and heavy, so maybe that is why the OP had some problems splitting the sweet gum

That Aint honey locust

I am the locust king, bet I burn 8 or more loads a year of it and am no wood expert but locust is everywhere where I cut and there are several different variations of thorn, no thorn extremely rough tight bark to more open bark and some that look similar to the pic, but the color and grain patern is always the same no matter what the bark looks like. and thats not it. Its more orange and a bigger variation in color from core to rings.

The Oak should be very easy to ID for you guys.
25ouujk.jpg
i cut som oak now and then:popcorn:

I am the locust king, bet I burn 8 or more loads a year of it and am no wood expert but locust is everywhere where I cut and there are several different variations of thorn, no thorn extremely rough tight bark to more open bark and some that look similar to the pic, but the color and grain patern is always the same no matter what the bark looks like. and thats not it. Its more orange and a bigger variation in color from core to rings.
No, it's not honey locust, it's black locust. With that last close up I still think so - the color's right and it's got that fairly thick lighter band around the outside. That band will eventually get punky and full of worm holes, but the center will never rot. I don't see the characteristic rays of oak, just a lot of dry cracks.

On the other hand, oak or locust, it doesn't get any better for firewood!

This thread is a perfect example of dumba#$ responses to wood IDs, of many of which thoughts I have been guilty, but usually do not post. Tomtrees has been 100% accurate in all the wood id threads that I can remember. Of course IDing by bark alone can be very difficult, perfect example is hackberry, in which one thread I was made to look like the dumb sh*&. I would bet 100 bucks first one is white oak, cut quit a bit of it, CONFIRMED by leaf ID. If you haven't confirmed what species bark looks like in your area by leaf id then I don't really think you know what you are talking about. There are two black cherry trees in neighbors backyard that bark looks different enough most people would think they are two different trees, bark can vary so much, something to think about. Also, if you aren't personally familiar with the three species shagbark hickory, silver maple, and white oak all together or at least by confirming leaf ID, I wouldn't chime in on those.

No, it's not honey locust, it's black locust. With that last close up I still think so - the color's right and it's got that fairly thick lighter band around the outside. That band will eventually get punky and full of worm holes, but the center will never rot. I don't see the characteristic rays of oak, just a lot of dry cracks.

On the other hand, oak or locust, it doesn't get any better for firewood!

no disrespect but have you ever seen black locust?
logs_black_locust.jpg

If you haven't confirmed what species bark looks like in your area by leaf id then I don't really think you know what you are talking about. Also, if you aren't personally familiar with the three species shagbark hickory, silver maple, and white oak all together or at least by confirming leaf ID, I wouldn't chime in on those.

Although bark ID is not easy at times, bark and wood grain combined makes it a lot easier. There are some species that are harder than others, but I'll guarantee that the buyer in the log yard will be able to tell the species by bark and wood. No leaves around there... Same with cruising timber in the winter.

And, yes, I am personally familiar with the three species you mentioned, and although they are similar, the bark IS slightly different on all three. Leaf confirmation is nice, but not always needed or possible. But it's especially hard just looking at a few pics sometimes.

Anyway, this has gone on long enough, and I need to finish stacking the ash trees I have been given and then have a few barley pops. :cheers:

Have fun out there!:jester:

I agree with you stumpy, that is part of the reason I think it is white oak is the grain, yes leaf id is for sure not the end all be all, thanks for bringing up the grain topic, I just feel a lot of people (also myself) are not as definitive about the grain as say the bark and leaves.

no disrespect but have you ever seen black locust?
No disrespect either, but did you read the comments I wrote? That picture I posted is of a tree that is right next to my house. We've got lots of them all around us. Leaves, method of propagation from runners, all of it matches black locust exactly. The local aborist that took out the other one I described also knew what it was. Also, the younger trees do not look like the one I described - they don't get that way until they get much older. Sorry you don't recognize what it is, but I do.

Last edited:
I thought it was honeylocust by the bark, not thinking about the wood grain and color, my mistake. I am somewhat of a newbe make it a game trying to play "guess the wood game". I have not seen the hickerys or alot of the oaks to know what they look like. I was pretty sure it was not maple as I have maple and honeylocust in my driveway.
I try my best and often fail, but at least I try. I'm sure being blonde does not help. More than anything, it is FIREWOOD!!!

Back