ideal bar length for 262 xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braiding4fun

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My 262 currently has an 18" bar. I like it, since it's nice and maneuverable and has a lot of power, but something today made me wonder if I couldn't be using more bar. I was helping out at our church spring cleanup day, and one of the guys was sporting a nice new MS391 with a 25" bar. (He also has a 20" for it). He said he loves it and it's got a lot of power. I compared specs online, and unless I'm wrong his 391 is rated at the same or less hp than my 262. Which got me wondering if my saw could easily handle more bar.

I know I don't need it nine times out of ten, but when the occasion demands it, it would be nice to have that 25" bar.... So what do you consider the ideal bar on a 262? I'm thinking my 18" bar is probably on the short end of the scale. The majority of the wood I cut is Ash, with some Oak or Locust on occasion.

A 262 is a nice compact and light saw and will pull a 24" bar if you need it to, but that long bar will cause it to be unwieldy and nose heavy, kinda takes the fun out of running a Husqvarna 262. My main saw is also a 262 and it feels balanced with an 18" on it, and that's the size I use.

I like a 20 - 24" bar on a 60cc saw. I don't like 18" bars on anything to be honest. Anything smaller than a 20" for me would be a 14-16 on a top handle saw.

I wouldnt go past 18", just for the balance of the saw. I had a 20 on mine and it felt a tad nose heavy. If you need more bar, it will handle it, but personally I wouldnt go bigger unless you feel that you really need to. Perhaps you could find a 24" small mount pattern here on AS used or something, just for the occasional big tree.
I run a 15" Tsumura on mine. I like short bars on my work saws though, and around here I am normally cutting 10-15" ash or locust.

16 is perfect

I've tried running 20 and even 24 on 60cc saws. I have never understood guys that like that setup. I don't think there is enough power in any 60cc stock or ported to make them run 24 nicely, and even 20 is pushing it in my experience. But hey, I cut rock hard windblown hardwood so take that for what it's worth.

I really like my saw with the 18" bar, it's balanced and cuts really well. I don't want to waste my power on spinning more chain just because longer bars are cool, but there are times when it might be nice to have it, and I was just wondering what I could realistically run. I'm thinking I wouldn't mind picking up a longer bar just for instances when I would use it. (case in point, a 28" Ash I have to take down in my yard sometime next week)

I am a little surprised to hear that several of you are running shorter than an 18" bar. I thought that 18 would probably be about the minimum. Oh well, that's why I asked.

I really like my saw with the 18" bar, it's balanced and cuts really well. I don't want to waste my power on spinning more chain just because longer bars are cool, but there are times when it might be nice to have it, and I was just wondering what I could realistically run. I'm thinking I wouldn't mind picking up a longer bar just for instances when I would use it. (case in point, a 28" Ash I have to take down in my yard sometime next week)

I am a little surprised to hear that several of you are running shorter than an 18" bar. I thought that 18 would probably be about the minimum. Oh well, that's why I asked.

well, if that's your biggest saw then get the bar you need to get the job done. Nothing wrong with that. Not everyone has a fleet of saws and that's great if you can resist the urges. I just know for me, if I need a longer bar I grab a bigger saw to go with it. 18" on a 262 is probably the sweet spot compromise. I would say 20 should be max on any 60cc saw. I have tried 24 on ported 60cc and while it functions fine, the smile is gone from my face if you know what I mean. The job gets done, but it's really not ideal.

For me, 18" is ideal. But i do keep a 20" setup for when i need it. IMO its more about what your'e cutting and the feel you like. I have tried 16" up to 24" on mine, but i like the 18" best. It'll cost you a few bucks, but the only way to know for sure is to bolt one on and try it. Check if any of your buddies have a 24" setup that will fit yours, maybe they will let you borrow it to try.

#1 18 is great on that saw, a 20 would be better if you need the reach, but not that much better.
25(24) is more bar than that saw (391)will handle with any meaning, or a 362 for that matter, sure they will pull it in soft wood, but you will not have as much sawing ability as with a 20".

#2 you have more saw than the 391 hands down and your saw is smaller and lighter weight. 262's and 362 specials are great saws. For a lot of reasons 362 special probably top 5 60 cc saw.

A 262 is a nice compact and light saw and will pull a 24" bar if you need it to, but that long bar will cause it to be unwieldy and nose heavy, kinda takes the fun out of running a Husqvarna 262. My main saw is also a 262 and it feels balanced with an 18" on it, and that's the size I use.

Oh man.....

i wish i could say it like that too :rock:

if i get a 262, i am the "moron who drags that pile of lead in the bush and he has that enormous 15" bar on that" :laugh:

Here, every saw, "bigger an heavier" than 346, is a massive, maybe too big and heavy, hard to handle, and every bar over 14" is plain stupidity :yoyo:

I envy you guys.

I run a 20" setup on my 262, seems fine to me. That being said I also have an Echo 500 with a 20 on it.

+1 on the 18" on a 262xp. It gives great balance and performance.

When it was my biggest saw I got a longer bar for when needed - 24" I think but can't be sure - but it normally wears 18".

Feel the same way Skippy!! 18" is the way to go for the 262!! Great setup and my main go to saw also!! Love it!!!

16 is perfect

I've tried running 20 and even 24 on 60cc saws. I have never understood guys that like that setup. I don't think there is enough power in any 60cc stock or ported to make them run 24 nicely, and even 20 is pushing it in my experience. But hey, I cut rock hard windblown hardwood so take that for what it's worth.

One asnwer 562xpw! 24" on that no problem.

I usually run 20" bars on my WP 261/262 conversions. 254 gets an 18" max. I have seen a 262 with a 28" bar and a full wrap handle. I hope they were running full skip on it and were real paitient LOL.
Shep

just get a new saw for each size bar. I have a 16'' on 340, 18'' on my 625 and 61, 20'' on 365, 22'' on 272, 24'' on 372, 28'' on 288, 42'' on another 288, 25'' on a 066. This saw plan works great for me:rock: The only one to get now is a 3120:msp_thumbup:

Latest posts

Back