Ideal Powerhead For A 24"-28" Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YUKON 659

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've been thinking of getting another saw, something that will be used for felling, "big cuts" and flush cutting stumps. I've over thought this into a state of confusion :confused: I'll prolly be running 24"-28" bars on it. With the vast amount of saw knowledge out there I'm sure you guys will set me straight ;) I've got a 372, but I thought a little larger saw would pull these bars better on a regular basis. Can you help?

Thanks, Jeff

I was going to suggest an 044 or 372. Perhaps an 046? One of the guys I climb for has two of them and runs 28" bars on both. He has an 066 for BIG stuff, but it doesn't get pulled out very often. The 046's cut all the big wood.

I just went back and read Seth's thread about his 7900...sounds like a pretty impressive saw. He said it was better than his 064 and 066....did he mean it would out cut them?

Jeff

If you want 28" bar capability, I would go with the 385 or 2186. Twenty eight inch bars are a bit taxing on 70 to 75cc (I mean 044,046,372 and such) saws for performing at pro level expectations.

You really need 81 to 86cc to pull 28 inches well in hardwood.

Happy with a 28" on my 066's. I got 2 of them outfitted with it.

Jeff I would also say probally a 385 and to answer your question there is a noticeable difference between it and a 372,I don't know about the 2186 but I'm sure it would be a good choice as well or even a 066,but I run a 32" on my 385 and it pulls it with ease in 30"DBH hardwoods.I bought my 385 for the same reason your looking for a bigger saw stump cuts but now I use this thing for just about everything except for limbing thats when I use the 357XPG..

Jeff,
Steve here... I am by no means an expert, but here goes... I would not by anything smaller than an 066...I've run an 044 and owned an MS460,could'nt get out of it's own way. Don't waste your money on a little saw. Bottom line I would by at least a 5.0 cu. saw.
Steve

Thought I'd post links to a couple of screamin' deals on bigger saws I've seen. Either of these oughta pull a 28" bar in hardwood no problem:

Poulan Pro 505 (Swedish, Yellow Jonsered 2083) $499

Solo 690 , 90cc, 7.4hp $449
I understand the factory reconditioned thing is a loophole to sell off the remaining inventory of these non-EPA saws

I'd go with a 066 or larger. Even a 3120 or a 088 would be awesome with a 28" bar. Then again, the 372 you have will also do it just fine, you'll just need to take it easy and not file the rakers.

I wouldn't go with anything less than a 066 though if you are getting another saw, cuz you gotta gain at least those 20cc over your 372 or it wont be very noticable of an improvement for the money you're spending.

Obviosly climbers have differant needs than people who cut on the ground. The extra weight of a 90cc+ saw isn't as big of a deal to a ground cutter.

of the six saws i own the ones that i use the most are 346xp, ms191T, MS460. that being said i have an 021, 036 and an 066G w/28'' bar (when i wear that out i'll switch to a 32'' or a 36'') the ms460 wears a 20'' (i plan on switching to a 24'')..... Jeff just remember that after you cut something that large 30'' plus you have to have some way of moving it!!!!!! you can split it into managable pieces but to my way of thinking thats just too much work!! which is why i have a 40hp tractor with a grapple bucket on it:rolleyes:

Thanks for the input. I've also given some consideration to a good used, well taken care of 288 or 394....any thoughts on these saws? Ryan, those big chunks can be hard to handle...I've got 2 sons helping me...looks like they're going to have their work cut out for them :D

Jeff

Jeff, they'll love you when they drop a sac picking up that big crap!!!LOL:p There are times when you absolutly can't get a tractor or bobcat to the tree but aroung where i am that usually isn't a problem. however i do have some people that i call when i run into that problem!

Originally posted by Ryan Willock
Jeff just remember that after you cut something that large 30'' plus you have to have some way of moving it!!!!!! you can split it into managable pieces but to my way of thinking thats just too much work!!

I like to set it up like this:

1. Fall all of the trees as soon as possible if they aren't falled yet.
  2. Cut off all or most of the branches that are to small for firewood in the forest, and leave them there.
  3. Drag or skid the trees onto the bush road or clearing using a skidder, tractor and chain, or tractor and pto skidding winch attatchment (awesome buy for around $3500 can, for the medium sized farmi model, will fit most tractors).
  4. Cut it into desired block size.
  5. Throw any left over branches to one side of bush road or clearing.
  6. Either throw and roll the firewood out of the way to one side of the bush road, or split it on site, preferably with a hydrolic splitter.
  7. Load it all up latter with loader.

You gotta slit the wood at some point anyway. Why not split it on site and save the handling of the huge pieces? It's especially important if you gotta life them onto a truck or trailer and you don't have a loader bucket on hand.

Back