Identify This Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linckeil

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i picked up a old splitter from craigslist last week. it ran ok, but needed some work. i cleaned it up, fixed broken welds, changed fluids and filters, tuned the motor, and replaced all the seals in the piston. now i'm hoping someone can help me identify it.

it has a B&S industrial plus motor. i think its 8hp, but does not say. i doubt the motor is original to the splitter.

the pump has a riveted tag with 2 numbers stamped on it. 10392 and 1300487.

the valve body has "Dukes" cast into it and a riveted tag with a number - 100D2C1RA. it has two 1/2" work ports and 3/4" in/out ports.

the piston has a 2" diameter. the cylinder bore is 4". stroke is 30".

its a heavy unit and no problem going right through the gnarliest piece of wood i could find.

i want to replace the valve with an autocycle unit. the current valve has no detents forward or reverse and does not return to nuetral at the completion of either stroke. it has a track on it that is set to return the valve to nuetral at the completion of a stroke, but it doesn't work well.

anyway, here are some pics.... please help. if you need additional photos please let me know. it may be a home made unit, but i don't think so.

That was made by the Shade Tree Company. In other words it was home made.

Makes my back hurt

To look at that low rider model.. Put a lift kit on it.. Get it up near working level.

thanks guys.

anyone have an estimate on what the tonage rating may be? i saw a 35 ton unit at tractor supply that had a larger HP rating, but everything else was smaller, but i don't know how accurate those rating are in the first place.....

so any idea on what tonage this splitter is? i can tell you i haven't found a piece of wood it can't go through. i put the gnarliest piece of apple in there (a crotch with 4 leaders coming off it) and it slowed down, but kept on pushing right through.....

Horse power little to do with tonnage only the ability to handle a larger gpm pump.

A 4" bore cylinder at 3000 psi will give you 18.8 tons. Most splitters will run the relief valve setting at 2250 -2750 psi.

really? under 20 tons? then the ratings on the new log splitters must be super inflated. the 20 ton splitter at home depot looks like a strong gust of wind would blow it over.

Back