IDing trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggenius29

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am fairly new to cutting wood and to trees in general. I know there has to be a nice reference around with pics of a tree, of there leaves, bark, wood ect.. So when I go into the woods to get wood I know what kind of wood I am cutting.

If there is a book available or something of the like that would be greatj.

Just go to amazon and type in tree identification. I am certain you will find all the results you need.

Knowing what you are cutting is half the battle. Cutting hardwoods can save you a lot of time in the long run. Check the sticky posts too to see BTU/cord charts.

Good luck and keep up the good fight!

Try this site

Here's a site that was recommended to me when I posted a question.

http://www.fw.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/data_results_with_common.cfm?state=unknown

Use the state selector to narrow your search results. I usually just grab a leaf and start searching. I'm pretty new to all of this so I have used this site whenever I come across something new and have learned a lot. Once you find out what it is you can find out about btu's, ease of splitting, etc. Here's a chart that I cross reference with.

http://thelograck.com/firewood_rating_chart.html

Good luck.

I've relied upon The National Audobon Society Field Guide for North America, central and eastern species.

So far, the most complete publication I've come across that can be taken into the woods. It has excellent color photos, of all four seasons, nuts/fruits, cones, seeds, blossoms, leaves, bark, and complete descriptions with drawings of crown development to aid identification in winter when all the leaves are gone.
Common uses of the trees, regions of growth.

Barnes and Noble carry it as a stock item, so it would be easy to peruse.

I've relied upon The National Audobon Society Field Guide for North America, central and eastern species.

So far, the most complete publication I've come across that can be taken into the woods. It has excellent color photos, of all four seasons, nuts/fruits, cones, seeds, blossoms, leaves, bark, and complete descriptions with drawings of crown development to aid identification in winter when all the leaves are gone.
Common uses of the trees, regions of growth.

Barnes and Noble carry it as a stock item, so it would be easy to peruse.

Second that one, I have one myself. You cant ask for any better, especially in the winter when you dont have any leaves to help you identify the tree.
A number of books that I have had in the past didnt have clear pictures of the bark, just the leaves, making it useless in the winter.

Latest posts

Back