Idiot with a chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think this person is an idiot..... I'm thinking he was one lucky person... Sometimes people just don't know what they don't know and his actions prove it. I watched my friend buck up a few logs and he also uses his chainsaw like a hand saw moving it back and forth. When taking down a tree he also makes a slanted back cut and for some reason he revs up the saw and jams it in to the wood. I spent several days with my friend showing him how to do a proper face cut and how a hinge cut works. I have been making firewood for some 35 years now and I never knew how a hinge or a plunge cut worked, I never realized the dangers in cutting a hollow tree until I joined this forum. The guy down the road from me will be in a wheelchair for the rest of his life when a tree (barber chair) fell on him. Again, he was 55 years old at the time and cut many trees in the past but he never knew what he didn't know about cutting trees... The bad part about a chainsaw is anyone can buy one... Sad but true..

I don't think this person is an idiot..... I'm thinking he was one lucky person... Sometimes people just don't know what they don't know and his actions prove it. I watched my friend buck up a few logs and he also uses his chainsaw like a hand saw moving it back and forth. When taking down a tree he also makes a slanted back cut and for some reason he revs up the saw and jams it in to the wood. I spent several days with my friend showing him how to do a proper face cut and how a hinge cut works. I have been making firewood for some 35 years now and I never knew how a hinge or a plunge cut worked, I never realized the dangers in cutting a hollow tree until I joined this forum. The guy down the road from me will be in a wheelchair for the rest of his life when a tree (barber chair) fell on him. Again, he was 55 years old at the time and cut many trees in the past but he never knew what he didn't know about cutting trees... The bad part about a chainsaw is anyone can buy one... Sad but true..

I don't think those are mutually exclusive. He could be a lucky idiot. Although at this point I'm kind of regretting using the word idiot, since it's come out that he's a member here and he was open to change when the video was posted previously.

That said, it is kind of dumb and reckless to obtain a self-evidently dangerous piece of equipment like a chainsaw and not learn to use it safely. It'd be like buying a plane and heading right to the runway without bothering to take flying lessons.

The info is out there. You can learn from others and/or go to the library. When I read stuff in the pro loggers forum, I often have to goggle the terminology they use. It's a good way to learn.

What I found remarkable is how he several times mentioned how dangerous it all was, yet kept doing it, the mistakes over and over again. No doubt that was a difficult tree to tackle, but when I saw the truck, I knew the guy needed to seriously rethink things.

Wow, how did he live to be that old being that dumb.

Chain is definitely dull so you move your saw to help cut.......

I thought that by now the theory of natural selection would have taken over and he would have been out of here. I guess I really doesn't work that way after all.

It has been a while since I saw the video but I still feel he is a jabroni. He has a come along, his truck is not far away, he could have easily pulled the hung up tree down.. I have to say the rocking back and forth reminds me of a fakir and his snake.. reminds me of televideo.. LOL

He's moving the saw back and forth to make sure it doesn't get stuck, a necessary technique when doing vertical bucking. When trees are really hung up, you can cut it high and back the truck underneath so the logs drop right into the bed and you don't have to carry the wood - aka "Vertical Truck Bucking".
YA!!! LIKE THIS. . .

I thought the sawing back and forth was because the chain was dull

I have seen people do it , as long as it is still faster than a hand saw they are happy

I know this video's been posted here before:

Leaving aside his obvious safety lapses, I find myself scratching my head at his saw technique. I've never seen someone slide a chainsaw back and forth like a handsaw the way he does. What's he up to? Is there some real reason one might do that, or is it just part of the general dumbassery of what he's doing?

I do that it helps get more chain speed for a faster cut.
And I also pull the starter rope to get more power too.

Merry Christmas to anybody brave enough to post that video. Oh, and everybody else too. Like I said before, the guy is not afraid to work.

He's moving the saw back and forth to make sure it doesn't get stuck, a necessary technique when doing vertical bucking. When trees are really hung up, you can cut it high and back the truck underneath so the logs drop right into the bed and you don't have to carry the wood - aka "Vertical Truck Bucking".

Vertical truck bucking!! :lol::laughing::laugh:

Latest posts

Back