Idiots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STIHLCRAZYBOY

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So today i had some dumarse tell me that saftey chains were illegal, have any of you guys met anyone like this. He claims he works for a logging company, he lies through his teeth.

Its illegal not to have them.... Pics of the idiot please:rock: Wondering if they look the same as the ones in our area:msp_rolleyes:

Stihl Safety Chain ???

I'm not sure I am talking about the same type of safety chain you mentioned. But anyhow at one time we had two Stihl dealers in town and now only one that I know of.

The one which is no longer in business did not stock the Stihl Green Safety Chain. One of the countermen told me we get too many complaints on them and only stock the yellow chain.

Nosmo

ya never know what you're gonna hear next!

:jester: they walk among us.... :jester:

I am not a big fan of safety chains either, but for some people it might help a little. My question is:

Who's decision is it as to what saws will be equipped with what style of chain, length of bar, etc?
How to encourage this decision? Could you stand there in the saw shop and tell a potential customer that they would be safer with the low kick back chain? Or is it possible that someone else would tell them that the low kickback chain isn't very efficient at cutting and the regular stuff is much faster?

education! I could see the benefit in a low cost (so that people would actually attend) seminar on the proper and safe operation of chainsaws. Show them the proper way to start, handle, and cut with their saws. possibly find a way to demonstrate kickback so that they know the mechanics involved (and dangers)How to sharpen them, maintain the filters etc. Possibly work with them on how to notch and drop a tree!

I think a informed firewood cutter would be better able to make a decision as to what style of chain to put on his saw.

The Stihl dealer nearest me only has the green chain on display. You have to ask for the yellow, and he makes it sound like nitrogycerin. When I bought a saw from him (the only one from him), he wouldn't sell it with yellow chain. If you ask him, NON-safety chain is practically illegal.

:jester: they walk among us.... :jester:

I am not a big fan of safety chains either, but for some people it might help a little. My question is:

Who's decision is it as to what saws will be equipped with what style of chain, length of bar, etc?
How to encourage this decision? Could you stand there in the saw shop and tell a potential customer that they would be safer with the low kick back chain? Or is it possible that someone else would tell them that the low kickback chain isn't very efficient at cutting and the regular stuff is much faster?

education! I could see the benefit in a low cost (so that people would actually attend) seminar on the proper and safe operation of chainsaws. Show them the proper way to start, handle, and cut with their saws. possibly find a way to demonstrate kickback so that they know the mechanics involved (and dangers)How to sharpen them, maintain the filters etc. Possibly work with them on how to notch and drop a tree!

I think a informed firewood cutter would be better able to make a decision as to what style of chain to put on his saw.

Patrick, you've got a huge problem to deal with. Many of us, occupants of a to-be-nameless fringe, think they are educated by osmosis or whatever. Don't need to expend any conscious effort. (Pass the chocolates.)

Carrying that forward, they'd call you an elitist.

Gonna take a while to grow past that, if it happens. Insurance companies might actually help here.

My question is: Who's decision is it as to what saws will be equipped with what style of chain, length of bar, etc?

It's up to the manufacturers. Their engineers and marketing people decide which bars and chains work best with which powerheads and which will sell saws.

There is a voluntary ANSI standard (B175.1) that specifies low-kickback chain, and kickback prevention devices, especially on smaller displacement saws (used to be 3.8 cubic inches/60cc?). Even though it is a voluntary standard OSHA can decide to enforce it as 'good practice'; UL can require it; and personal injury lawyers can sue if companies do not meet this standard.

Some saw shops will sell you whatever you want. Some will sell you the stuff that is not low-kickback if you let them give you the warning to cover their tails. Some will only sell you the saw how it comes.

Doesn't mean that there still aren't idiots out there.

Philbert

From Bailey's catalog:

attachment.php

So today i had some dumarse tell me that saftey chains were illegal, have any of you guys met anyone like this. He claims he works for a logging company, he lies through his teeth.

Since the guy works for a logging company, maybe he was just being sarcastic as I am sure it is "illegal" to use one on the job. Either that or he was with one of those companies on Axmen :laugh:

Back